• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Pelicans

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Posted Image

“Laissez les bon temps… uhhhhh… Security!?!?”

As much fun as a perfect 8-0 homestand has been for Atlanta Hawks fans, Jeff Teague is relieved that it’s all in the rearview mirror. In his postgame commentary after the Hawks won their 19th straight game, a nail-biter against the Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday, Teague suggested it’s good for him and his team to get back out on the road after a couple of weeks lying around at home. And who could blame him? He’s endured a rough shooting stretch over Atlanta’s last eight games (13.6 PPG, 38.0 FG%, 23.1 3FG%, two FTs in last 3 games). Plus, the newly-minted All-Star has had to put up with a lot of glad-handing around town from people who in years past didn’t want much to do with him.

The road has been where the heart is for Teague, who has shot better from long-range in away games (18.2 PPG, 50.3 2FG%, 38.2 3FG%) than at the Highlight Factory (15.7 PPG, 50.6 2FG%, 29.8 3FG%). So a quick road trip to pre-Mardi Gras New Orleans might be just the elixir.

Atlanta will aim for multiple milestones with a victory tonight against the host New Orleans Pelicans (8:00 PM Eastern, SportSouth in ATL, NBATV). The Hawks could become the first NBA team to guarantee a .500 record on the season. They could extend their streak against the Western Conference to 13 (a run that begin with a home win over the Pelicans in November), and stretch their road winning string to 13 games (17 of their past 18). On top of that, they could become the fifth team ever to achieve 20 consecutive NBA victories, three of the prior four teams (’71 Bucks, ’72 Lakers, ’13 heat) winning an NBA title in the same season.

Of course, being the intentionally poor historians that they are, coach Mike Budenholzer’s club would admit to tracking none of that. They simply want to sweep the season series with New Orleans. They may not even remember beating them once already. Behind Teague’s 26 points, Atlanta surpassed New Orleans in the overall standings with a 100-91 win on November 28 at Philips Arena, raising their record to 8-6 at the time. They have not looked back since, and they don’t look ahead, either.

While the Hawks have been sprinting away from the Eastern Conference pack, the Pelicans (25-22) have played keep-away from the wannabe-contending Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference. After quite a bit of uneven play this season, the ninth-seeded Pelicans have received quite the Pure Recharge Enhancer lately at Smoothie King Center. Playing without All-Star Anthony Davis (hip soreness, strained groin) on Friday, N’Awlins got a balanced effort from Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon (season-high 28 points), and reserves Alexis Ajinca and recent returnee Quincy Pondexter to upend a healthy third-seeded L.A. Clippers team.

It was the seventh win in ten games for the Pelicans, and also the eighth victory in ten home games at SKC. Things have clearly gone smoother in front of the home crowd: without Davis and starting point guard Jrue Holiday, this is essentially the same team that lost games in recent weeks at New York, Philadelphia and Boston. Last week, they avenged that loss to the Sixers with a sound 25-point home victory, and also got five steals and some late free throws from Davis to eke out a win over division-rival Dallas.

Consistent results are what the team is seeking from coach Williams, now in his fifth season and trying to avoid a fourth-straight year out of the playoffs. Sandwiched between the big wins over the Mavs and Clips was a loss to a Denver team that had lost seven in a row. Davis injured his groin early in that game, and the Pelicans struggled both early and late. But all brows will be on-deck tonight as Davis (24.5 PPG, 4th in NBA; 10.4 RPG, 9th in NBA; 6.2 TO%, 3rd lowest in NBA) is listed as probable to return to action.

Holiday’s absence has allowed Tyreke Evans (17.7 PPG and 7.3 APG in ten games since Jrue went down) to show off his passing chops. His 5.7 APG on the season is just a tick below Reke’s average from his mercurial Rookie-of-the-Year 2009-10 season. He’s registered 12 assists in three of the past four Pelican games, all wins. But as another example of his team’s inconsistency, in the loss to Denver he managed just a pair of assists; against the Knicks he compiled only three.

Pelicans GM Dell Demps is not looking to rock the boat, but if the right deal for a steadier small forward comes along (one that can play ahead of current starter Dante Cunningham, Pondexter, and Luke Babbitt) he may be departing with one of Holiday (7.1 APG) or Evans (10th in NBA for 2FG attempts per game, 13th in TOs per game) before the trade deadline. Like many fellow players on the second 10-day contract, former Buck guard Nate Wolters hopes to impress enough to stick around.

With Davis (NBA-high 2.9 BPG) and Omer Asik (29.0 D-Reb%, 4th in NBA), one would think it would be easier to get through a carwash unscrubbed than to get balls through the hoop against the Pelicans’ interior D. But New Orleans’ opponents still get 45.2 points-in-the-paint per game, 3rd most in the league.

Neither Davis nor Asik foul terribly much, as they’re more likely to allow one to contest the shot while the other goes after the rebound. So not stopping the ball may attribute to the high number of shots allowed (30.6 opponent restricted-area FG attempts per game, most in NBA). Perhaps more attributable is the lack of defensive intensity from the rest of the Pelicans’ starting cast, as well as the quality of their backups when the duo needs rest. Reserve seven-footer Alexis Ajinca had has a Whiteside-Lite breakout of late (since Jan. 18: 9.3 PPG and 7.5 RPG; 3.3 blocks per-36, 4th in NBA), but too much of his energy gets expended on the offensive end of the floor.

Unlike some sports, it's always a good idea to pass for scores, and the Hawks (NBA-high 68.5% of FGs assisted) still do it as well as anybody. Asik and Davis will have a rough go of things if Louisiana native Paul Millsap and Al Horford’s mid-to-long-range games (combined 38 points; 14-for-25 2FGs vs. PHI on Saturday) get going. The Pellies will be unable to camp themselves inside and will have to scramble to stop backdoor cuts to the hoop. The Hawks must catch-and-shoot in the paint as quickly as they do outside of it, disallowing Asik and a potentially hobbled Davis from closing in for the blocks.

Not only must the starting frontcourt players get things cooking to open things up inside for their driving guards, but so must Mike Scott and Pero Antić. The latter rested against Philadelphia on Saturday, while Scott was cold outside the arc (0-for-4 3FGs). The Hawks’ bigs must also make an effort to keep the pace of the game high and beat the Pelicans (94.1 possessions per-48, 4th lowest in NBA) down the floor.

Backup forward Anderson may be coming out of his long-distance shooting slumber (career-low 35.3 3FG%; 39.5% in January). In his past four games, Ryno has averaged 18.0 PPG while shooting 94.4 FT%, and nailed half of his three-point shots. Spelling Davis in the starting lineup, he shot 5-for-11 on threes against the Clippers in what clearly was his best start of the season. After missing the middle of the season with a torn shoulder muscle, Gordon (career-low 12.6 PPG) also came alive against his former team, shooting 10-for-20 from the field (5-for-7 3FGs) against L.A. while tacking on 7 assists with his season-high 28 points.

The Hawks are hoping opponents like New Orleans will cool off a bit from three-point range. Without DeMarre Carroll and Thabo Sefolosha for most of the past two games, Atlanta’s foes have jacked up 32.5 three-point attempts (well above their NBA-high 26.1 per game on the season) and made 38.5% of them (7th highest in NBA). While it is a small sample size, that percentage is up from 33.4% (5th lowest in NBA) in the games leading up to Carroll’s departure. The Hawks have missed Carroll’s ability to rove the perimeter, and without either of DMC or Sefolosha they’ll need a more concerted effort from Kent Bazemore, Kyle Korver, Mike Scott and Dennis Schröder to contest shots, while the Hawks’ big men must do all they can to keep Asik away from the offensive glass.

Let’s Go Hawks!

~lw3

View the full article
  • Like 4

Its good that Seattle called that pass play last night because now it surpasses naming an NBA team "Pelicans" as the most stupid sports decision I can remember. I mean seriously, what is scary about a Pelican?  Nothing unless you are a fish.  

Great game thread lw3! Hope to tie the 71 Bucks tonight with 20 straight. You mentioned all 3 of the teams that had that streak went on to win the title..71 Bucks, 72 Lakers and 13 Heat..only team that didnt was the 08 Rockets who won 22 straight but I believe lost in round 2 of the playoffs. LETS GO HAWKS!!!! Keep Davis and Asik off the boards.

Its good that Seattle called that pass play last night because now it surpasses naming an NBA team "Pelicans" as the most stupid sports decision I can remember. I mean seriously, what is scary about a Pelican? Nothing unless you are a fish.

Or if you are a pigeon.

1260443600_pelican_swallows_pigeon.gif

Edited by hawksfanatic

Yeah, I am glad Anthony Davis is playing too. If we beat them without him, they would use that as the excuse (they as in the media).

Last time he had a really tough game against us so I expect he'll try and come out and put up big numbers tonight but I have faith in Trill and Jefe to hold him down again.

Last time he had a really tough game against us so I expect he'll try and come out and put up big numbers tonight but I have faith in Trill and Jefe to hold him down again.

I dont remember last game but I would guess all our Bigs would have no problem muscling him around. Elton would probably hurt him. I'm pretty sure the gameplan is get in his chest and get some fouls. Give him space and freedom and he dominates.

I dont remember last game but I would guess all our Bigs would have no problem muscling him around. Elton would probably hurt him. I'm pretty sure the gameplan is get in his chest and get some fouls. Give him space and freedom and he dominates.

Here ya go Benny

• Moderators

Any chance DeMarre plays this game?

There's a chance...

~lw3

• Like 1