• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My one RANT from the Pelican game.

Diesel

Some of you people have no respect for old schoolers..it's sad. So in 40 years if the Atlanta Hawks became the Honolulu Hawks you guys would have no love for Nique? The east coast ain't got no love for Dr. Dre n Snoop?...

I'd love to drop kick this thread into next Thursday

Edited by Spud2Nique

• Moderators

If this team moved tomorrow to an area with no team currently, I would expect Nique would get serious respect from the fanbase as a Hawks legend even though he didn't play there.

As an Atlanta legend, yes.  But like Kemp and Payton, I seriously doubt Nique would be too please with the organization if they moved the team from Atlanta.  I doubt he'd associate with the organization any further.

• Moderators

Some of you people have no respect for old schoolers..it's sad. So in 40 years if the Atlanta Hawks became the Honolulu Hawks you guys would have no love for Nique? The east coast ain't got no love for Dr. Dre n Snoop?...

I'd love to drop kick this thread into next Thursday

I love Atlanta teams.  If the Hawks moved to Seattle or Honolulu or where ever, I'd be done with them.  Nique would continue being an Atlanta and Atlanta Hawks legend tho.

• Moderators

Let me put it this way - Johnny Unitas remains revered as a Colts legend even though he never played in Indy.  I don't see why we would not hold Petit in high regard given his legendary play for the Hawks in St. Louis.  I am not criticizing people that say they can't love him the same way they do Nique because they didn't watch him in Atlanta like they did Nique, but I do have a hard time wrapping my head around not being proud of him, Lenny Wilkins, Cliff Hagan, etc. as past Hawks greats.

• Like 1

Some of you people have no respect for old schoolers..it's sad. So in 40 years if the Atlanta Hawks became the Honolulu Hawks you guys would have no love for Nique?...

I'm pretty sure in 40 years I won't be following the NBA much :-)

That said - I always like the guys that were "old-school" in my day.  My favorite was "Down Town Freddie Brown".

I'm pretty sure in 40 years I won't be following the NBA much :-)

That said - I always like the guys that were "old-school" in my day.  My favorite was "Down Town Freddie Brown".

I'm sure you still love all the old Celtics. 

Is Downtown Freddie Brown any relation to Downtown Julie Brown?

• Like 1

Is Downtown Freddie Brown any relation to Downtown Julie Brown?

Could be...Freddie Brown was the Captain of the SuperSonics team that won the Championship way back...he led the league in three point shooting the first year the league had the three point shot.

I guess I just like shooters....and a beer chaser of course

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

Let me put it this way - Johnny Unitas remains revered as a Colts legend even though he never played in Indy.  I don't see why we would not hold Petit in high regard given his legendary play for the Hawks in St. Louis.  I am not criticizing people that say they can't love him the same way they do Nique because they didn't watch him in Atlanta like they did Nique, but I do have a hard time wrapping my head around not being proud of him, Lenny Wilkins, Cliff Hagan, etc. as past Hawks greats.

I'm a Hawks fan because they represent the city of Atlanta, not because of the franchise itself. Pettit's accomplishments are nothing for me to feel "proud" of. I don't view him differently than any other great player from that time period. 

• Premium Member

This brings about a question.

The Atlanta Hawks vs. the Hawks franchise.

The Hawks franchise has won an NBA Championship.  The Atlanta Hawks never has.

I think of it like this:  Before they were the Indianapolis, they were the Baltimore Colts.   The people of Baltimore has nothing to do with the Colts, and neither do the people of Indianapolis recognize the Colts franchise like that.

The people of OKC is not claiming Kemp and the Glove.

The people of New Orleans are not recognizing Alonzo Morning or Larry Johnson.

So... Bob Petit, the championships, and everything else not Atlanta are the franchises.  While, Pistol Pete and Dominique belong to us.

Let's go out and get our own championship.  This City Needs a championship.

• Moderators

This brings about a question.

The Atlanta Hawks vs. the Hawks franchise.

The Hawks franchise has won an NBA Championship.  The Atlanta Hawks never has.

I think of it like this:  Before they were the Indianapolis, they were the Baltimore Colts.   The people of Baltimore has nothing to do with the Colts, and neither do the people of Indianapolis recognize the Colts franchise like that.

The people of OKC is not claiming Kemp and the Glove.

The people of New Orleans are not recognizing Alonzo Morning or Larry Johnson.

So... Bob Petit, the championships, and everything else not Atlanta are the franchises.  While, Pistol Pete and Dominique belong to us.

Let's go out and get our own championship.  This City Needs a championship.

That is BS to think that Indy fans don't recognize Johny Unitas. He is right there in the debate for best Colts QB because he, Manning and Luck are part of the franchise.

• Like 1

OKC doesn't wear Seattle's Championchip-patch on their jerseys, but they also made a lager cut after moving the team. New name etc. We are still the Hawks...

I wish our dopehead owners would have done this as well. #TrueToAtlanta couldn't be even more wrong in this situation.