• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Eyeing Gary Neal Situation

PSSSHHHRRR87

Not Thabo, he's had multiple 40+ 3pt% seasons before coming to Atlanta. Last year he was down due to leg and wrist injuries but appeared to be getting back to his former shooting glory.

Millsap was a good 3pt shooter in Utah (33% his last year) but didn't really take any. DMC has made huge strides though no doubt about it.

post-2992-14243079201008.jpg

Not many 40% three point seasons to gawk about. He was pretty bud before he got to Atlanta besides those two good seasons shooting from behind the arc.

Hand down.. Man down..

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-02-18-20-01-08.jpg

Not many 40% three point seasons to gawk about. He was pretty bud before he got to Atlanta besides those two good seasons shooting from behind the arc.

Hand down.. Man down..

I believe I said multiple seasons... And he's had multiple seasons and at this point in his career we should expect him to be in that range. My point is the Hawks didn't make him a better shooter even if our system does get players better looks.

I don't think the signing will hurt or anything... It's just a "meh" move.

Agreed it is not the prettiest move but isn't that what this team is built apon? This is a big reason why we get so much out of our guys. They don't have any egos and all feel that they can make a difference at any given point in a game. This would be an upgrade to JJ and added depth. He also has playoff experience. But you are correct, it isn't anything to be super excited over. Edited by Ruckus

• Moderators

Right, but wouldn't you agree that all of them exceeded general shooting expectations? I know Thabo is technically considered a 3&D guy but I feel he is shooting better than we felt he would here. I guess my point is just that it seems our system can be good for someone who has shown the ability to shoot at some point of their career. I understand that Pero can't shoot for shit this season and JJ hasn't lived up to his potential but I feel like their inexperience is something they just haven't overcame.

He is a 34% career 3pt shooter and you though he would shoot worse than 29%?  Thabo has not met expectations shooting the ball.  He has exceeded them defending.  Since his primary value is from his D and his 3pt shot is at least improving, I would say I and many others are very happy with what he has done but to say he has exceeded expectations with his perimeter shooting...well, you must have thought he was Josh Smith level as a 3pt shooter if that is the case.

He is a 34% career 3pt shooter and you though he would shoot worse than 29%? Thabo has not met expectations shooting the ball. He has exceeded them defending. Since his primary value is from his D and his 3pt shot is at least improving, I would say I and many others are very happy with what he has done but to say he has exceeded expectations with his perimeter shooting...well, you must have thought he was Josh Smith level as a 3pt shooter if that is the case.

Not at all. I don't constantly notice him jacking up bad shots like Josh. Didn't realize his percentage was that low though. I don't research statistics before posting. I only use eye test. So with that said, everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Moderators

Not at all. I don't constantly notice him jacking up bad shots like Josh. Didn't realize his percentage was that low though. I don't research statistics before posting. I only use eye test. So with that said, everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

I threw up with Josh's shooting but his last season in Atlanta he was 30.3% and Thabo is 29.2% this year.  I expect Thabo will surpass that if he gets healthy.

• Like 1

You are probably remembering his recent performance.  Thabo started out ice cold from 3 before really heating up after 20 games.

Over the first 20 games, Thabo made 4/32 3's for 12.5%.  Since then, he has made 15/33 for 45.5%.  

You are probably remembering his recent performance. Thabo started out ice cold from 3 before really heating up after 20 games.

Over the first 20 games, Thabo made 4/32 3's for 12.5%. Since then, he has made 15/33 for 45.5%.

I think you are right. Thanks for clarifying! I do suffer from a severe case of selective memory. My fiancé says there is no cure for me.

Am i the only one who thinks this is going to be a good trade? lol

I watched gary neal when he was still  with the Spurs 2012-2013. His a 3 point dead eye shooter, and a floor spacer. He might not have a good looking career season stats in his current team probably because he didn't fit in the team system, or he doesn't like the team, or for whatever reason...  But this is definitely a good trade because Hawks system has  the same style as San antoino Spurs system, and Coach Bud knows gary neal very well. Gary neal is a team player, and he's not really good on 1 on 1 defense, but he can play team defense. He can also shoot mid range shots, and get some layups or floaters.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Am i the only one who thinks this is going to be a good trade? lol

I watched gary neal when he was still  with the Spurs 2012-2013. His a 3 point dead eye shooter, and a floor spacer. He might not have a good looking career season stats in his current team probably because he didn't fit in the team system, or he doesn't like the team, or for whatever reason...  But this is definitely a good trade because Hawks system has  the same style as San antoino Spurs system, and Coach Bud knows gary neal very well. Gary neal is a team player, and he's not really good on 1 on 1 defense, but he can play team defense. He can also shoot mid range shots, and get some layups or floaters.

That's just the naysayer Hawks' fans that have to piss on everything. I'd welcome the trade because the Hawks need scoring from the bench and Neal can play the 1, 2, or 3 positions. Gives our bench another 3-pt option and a guy that's not afraid of the big shot. We had that in Lou before, but Neal is a better fit.  He is a pretty good defender too. I'd rather have Neal than someone like Kevin Martin. Signing Ray Ray is still my first option tho. Another thing about a trade for Neal is that no one would lose much playing time while Thabo is out due to the versatility of our bench.

• Like 2

That's just the naysayer Hawks' fans that have to piss on everything. I'd welcome the trade because the Hawks need scoring from the bench and Neal can play the 1, 2, or 3 positions. Gives our bench another 3-pt option and a guy that's not afraid of the big shot. We had that in Lou before, but Neal is a better fit. He is a pretty good defender too. I'd rather have Neal than someone like Kevin Martin. Signing Ray Ray is still my first option tho. Another thing about a trade for Neal is that no one would lose much playing time while Thabo is out due to the versatility of our bench.

How's Neal gonna play SF when he's maybe 6'4? He's basically Jenkins size and he's really too small at SG let alone SF.

• Like 1