• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thabo & Pero Arrested; Thabo OUT FOR SEASON due to injuries

ersimo2889

• Premium Member

One more bit of speculation on Copeland. Then I'll stop, because I've got a pregame thread (and more work) to attend to!

We've all seen the renewed focus on thwarting "domestic violence/spousal abuse," particularly with athletes after the Ray Rice elevator tape got engrained in our heads. The whole, "if you see something, say something" mantra. It seems Bleary chose to "say something": not to law enforcement, but directly to the feuding couple.

Most guys going out looking to stab people aren't dressed like Bleary was. It could be that Bleary, an Army vet according to family, witnessed a boisterous argument involving a sizable man (The rumor rag NYPost reports Copeland, who was at the club with Busta Rhymes, argued with and then stalked after Saltara, who then slapped Copeland, leading to more arguing). Bleary then (it appears to me) sought to intervene in hopes of defusing the situation before it escalated into something worse.

Then, when 6-foot-9, 235-pound Copeland turns his ire onto Bleary, the latter's military training/PTSD/general ego-driven freakout kicks in. He starts swinging away with his switchblade, fashioning himself a hero saving a damsel in distress and impressing his own female friend... only to be stunned when Saltara runs in to aid not him, but Copeland. At that point, Bleary just starts filleting everything that moves, including his own friend, until (NYPost reports) Copeland's driver could disarm and detain him until the cops arrive. Now, instead of a hero he thought he'd be, Bleary is getting portrayed as a zero.

"If you see something, say something" is right, but be sure to "say something" to the right people, those who are trained to de-escalate and hold people accountable for resorting to violence. Law enforcement should have been contacted to address a dispute among acquaintances that was getting violent. Cops instead wound up having to sort out the chaos around a multiple stabbing.

~lw3

You add so much to this board.  One of my favorite posters on any forum by far.

• Like 3

I am officially Thabo'd out.

Its unfortunate that he's unavailable but I believe in the whole living in a glass house thingy and not judging people by their worst action in life to determine the kind of person someone is as a whole.

Just like I didn't want Coach Bud gone for his DUI arrest (case still to be adjudicated), just like I didn't want Ferry gone for the off season mess, I don't want Thabo gone.

The Hawks have a game tonight and they'll be raising their SE Division Banner and I'll be in the house cheering them on and hopefully I get to say I was there for win #60

I expect, just like they've done since the start of the off season for the players to band together, let the off court stuff stay off court and focus on the games and playoffs ahead.

It's US against the world.

GO HAWKS!!!

I've been lurking this thread not knowing what I could possibly give to this discussion.  There really isn't anything I could say positive or negative to change people's opinions or the fact that this has happened and there's nothing we can do about it now.

You pretty much said what I'm feeling so I'll just tack onto your post.  We got a game tonight, let's go get that win #60!

• Like 1

Here's a way you can look like an idiot:

51445679.jpg

And seeing that there would be security cameras of people entering and leaving the club, it would be very stupid for Pero to be lying right here.

Geez man, that Amin shithead. He is angling hard to become an "insider" with "sources" but to me he comes off as more of a Stephen A. Smith character.

Most guys going out looking to stab people aren't dressed like Bleary was. It could be that Bleary, an Army vet according to family, witnessed a boisterous argument involving a sizable man (The rumor rag NYPost reports Copeland, who was at the club with Busta Rhymes, argued with and then stalked after Saltara, who then slapped Copeland, leading to more arguing). Bleary then (it appears to me) sought to intervene in hopes of defusing the situation before it escalated into something worse.
So one thing that jarred my memory here is that Copeland's girl is yelling in the first TMZ video something strange: "we were attacked out of nowhere by a f***ing black civilian..." Ummm...my first thought was that she did not know what civilian actually means. Like "hey they're normal people, civilians, and I'm like celebrity because I'm with Chris" type of thing. It's very peculiar to call someone a civilian, so maybe she does know what the word means? Maybe, maybe not. I think if I was going to speculate on this anymore that I would need to bust out my Kent Blazemore and take a couple of rips.

• Moderators

Saying "He wouldn't get hurt if he hadn't gone to the club" is like saying "You wouldn't have a car accident if you hadn't been driving". The fact that he was out  at night doesn't justify what Thabo experienced. FFS an Atlanta Hawks player's leg is broken and some of you here are almost upset that he wasn't shot. 

It doesn't justify it at all, but it is a known risk that is much greater than driving.  How many NBA players have run into issues from some incident at a club early in the morning / late at night?  

Copeland - Stabbed at club

Thabo - Broken bone at club; arrested

Pero - Arrested

Paul Pierece - Stabbed at club

Tony Parker - Nearly loses an eye at a club

Steve Francis - Choked at club during fight

Charles Barkely - Arrested after fight

Stephen Jackson - Hit by a car outside club and arrested after firing gun

Donte Green - Arrested after fight

Larry Sanders - Surgery after tore thumb ligament and assault charges after fight

Jayson Williams - Arrested after fight

Ron Mercer - Arrested after fight

Brandon Roy - Evacuated from club after large brawl erupts

Zach Randolph - Cited in police report for fight in club

Pedrag Danilovic - Stabbed in fight in club

Blake Griffin - Charged for battery after club fight

Etc. etc.  

I am not saying that any of this shows Thabo or Pero were out of their minds or did anything seriously wrong.  They've been charged, they've denied the allegations, and that will play out.

The point is that when you are a highly visible, rich target in an environment where people are doing drinking and drugs and hooking up then it is an opportunity for trouble.  It stinks that it hit us, but this makes you understand why some teams have a curfew during the post-season.

For Atlanta fans to finally get to the Super Bowl and then have Eugene Robinson and then finally look like favorites to make the ECF and perhaps NBA finals and then have this happen just blows.

• Like 2

News flash, if you want to be safe from all harm, lock yourself away in your house and never go outside. And even then a plane might fly into your house, so ya never know, do ya?

You say there is no victim blaming, then turn around and exactly blame the victim with, "he had not made said bad decision, he wouldn't be in his current position, no matter what your opinion of the cops is." 

So exactly what bad decision? Going out to a club to experience some nightlife is not a bad decision. It's a reasonable expectation of a "good time" by most sane people if you are a person so inclined to consider that activity a good time. They didn't go out into a situation asking to be put in trouble. They didn't ask the police to break his freaking ankle. You're probably the kind of guy that blames a woman getting harrassed simply on what she wears. Learn the definition of victim blaming...

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that you were the person in charge of passing judgement on everyone else, what to consider acceptable behavior.

the problem isn't just going to the club 

the problem  is

a) doing on a back to back

b) getting involved in something you have no ties or reason to

c) trying to go super saiyan on the cops

i could care less if they go to the club. but he has to act better. also, doing it on a back to back irks me and I shouldn't have to explain why.

it's not "victim blaming" it's common sense.

and no buddy, I do not agree with the harassment of women. people can wear what. they want you gonna provide a reason for that comment or was it just a lame non-sequitur? 

• Moderators

"Awwwwwwwwww It Ain't My Fault. (Did I Do That?)"

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/Antić-on-arrest-not-our-fault/nkrHM/

Q. What can you tell us about the incident:

A. We issued a statement and there is a video out that speaks for itself. The only thing I can say is we feel bad for the bad publicity that we brought to the Hawks organization, the Hawks family, not by our fault. I just want to say I am going to be supportive of Thabo, my teammates and just think about the basketball right now and the good things we can do.”

(snip)

Q. Were you trying to shield people from taking pictures of (the Pacers’) Chris Copeland (who was stabbed)?

A. To be honest, no. We didn’t have anything to do with what happened with that. We weren’t together. We didn’t see the guy. Whatever happened, happened way before.

~lw3

It doesn't justify it at all, but it is a known risk that is much greater than driving.  How many NBA players have run into issues from some incident at a club early in the morning / late at night?

You don't know the rate at which NBA Players go to Clubs, so I don't know how you can claim this is "a known risk that is much greater than driving." Pointing to the number of events, which go all the way back to Charles freakin' Barkley, does not demonstrate danger.

Very disappointed in all the excuse making for Thabo and Pero around here although I'm not surprised America is becoming full of people that cry victim about everything bad that happens to them.

They have the right to go to the club, but Imo this shows very poor judgment for a couple of reasons. This is the equivalent of a VP of a company going to the club the night before he has a presentation with the CEO. He has the right to go, but if he misses that meeting for any reason it would be an issue. How sympathetic would the CEO be when he tells him I missed the meeting because I got in a scuffle in the club? He will be fired on the spot. Not because he went to the club, but because you don't want poor decision makers in a decision making position.

Grown ass men and women in general don't frequent clubs, and most certainly would not be there mid-week at 4am. This is simply because they have responsibility. For example, family, jobs they have to be at, employees and coworkers that depend on them. Think about the type of people that are in a New York club at 4am on a Wednesday? I'll give you a hint it isn't hedge fund managers.

Now let me give Thabo and Pero some advice from an old boring 33 year old black man with real responsibility. If you're going to go to a club don't go to one where you can wear hoodies, sweats and Jordan's. The types of clubs people with something to lose should go to usually have a dress code. Secondly if a cop asked you to do something do it. Do not get confrontational with someone who has a gun; nothing good can come out of this. If you believe the Cops did something wrong spend some of your club money on a good lawyer and file a complaint. Lastly, I know your money and playing a game for a living has allowed you to maintain this arrested development, but grow the F up. Thanks

Some common sense talk for all the people who think the man is out to get Pero and Thabo.

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 1

• Moderators

You don't know the rate at which NBA Players go to Clubs, so I don't know how you can claim this is "a known risk that is much greater than driving." Pointing to the number of events, which go all the way back to Charles freakin' Barkley, does not demonstrate danger.

I know the rate of players driving is higher by multiple levels of magnitudes than the rate of people going to clubs.  Neither of us has actual data but just use your common sense on that one.  

I agree that my list was just a haphazard slapping on names so let's limit it to current NBA players so we are a bit more consistent.  For current players in the NBA who have been injured in incidents at clubs, I can name:

Chris Copeland 

Thabo Sephalosha

Tony Parker

Larry Sanders

Paul Pierce 

All suffered major injuries requiring weeks of missed time at a minimum from incidents at clubs.

How many current NBA players have suffered injuries from car wrecks requiring them to miss at least multiple weeks of a season?

Edited by AHF

I know the rate of players driving is higher by multiple levels of magnitudes than the rate of people going to clubs.  Neither of us has actual data but just use your common sense on that one.

Maybe I should have left out "greater than driving" in your quote because you seemed to have missed the point.

@Dolfan23 any chance this forum gets a "dislike" button? Since it's not allowed to "criticize" other posters in a way they deserve, a dislike button would be a chance to do that without insulting...

And I would dislike a lot of posts in this topic...

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Very disappointed in all the excuse making for Thabo and Pero around here although I'm not surprised America is becoming full of people that cry victim about everything bad that happens to them.

They have the right to go to the club, but Imo this shows very poor judgment for a couple of reasons. This is the equivalent of a VP of a company going to the club the night before he has a presentation with the CEO. He has the right to go, but if he misses that meeting for any reason it would be an issue. How sympathetic would the CEO be when he tells him I missed the meeting because I got in a scuffle in the club? He will be fired on the spot. Not because he went to the club, but because you don't want poor decision makers in a decision making position.

Grown ass men and women in general don't frequent clubs, and most certainly would not be there mid-week at 4am. This is simply because they have responsibility. For example, family, jobs they have to be at, employees and coworkers that depend on them. Think about the type of people that are in a New York club at 4am on a Wednesday? I'll give you a hint it isn't hedge fund managers.

Now let me give Thabo and Pero some advice from an old boring 33 year old black man with real responsibility. If you're going to go to a club don't go to one where you can wear hoodies, sweats and Jordan's. The types of clubs people with something to lose should go to usually have a dress code. Secondly if a cop asked you to do something do it. Do not get confrontational with someone who has a gun; nothing good can come out of this. If you believe the Cops did something wrong spend some of your club money on a good lawyer and file a complaint. Lastly, I know your money and playing a game for a living has allowed you to maintain this arrested development, but grow the F up. Thanks

Some common sense talk for all the people who think the man is out to get Pero and Thabo.

lmao, they went to a club that you or I probably couldn't even get into.  LW3 posted a description earlier that talked about an "Ostrich leather wrapped [something or other]".  I don't think the venue was the issue.

Secondly, who are you to judge what makes a man a man?  NBA players could think you aren't a man because your body fat percentage is above 15, and they would have just as much of an argument as you do.

• Like 3

I agree that my list was just a haphazard slapping on names so let's limit it to current NBA players so we are a bit more consistent.  For current players in the NBA who have been injured in incidents at clubs, I can name:

Chris Copeland 

Thabo Sephalosha

Tony Parker

Larry Sanders

Paul Pierce 

All suffered major injuries requiring weeks of missed time at a minimum from incidents at clubs.

How many current NBA players have suffered injuries from car wrecks requiring them to miss at least multiple weeks of a season?

Demarr career was derailed. 

We saw what it did to Jason Williams and Bobby Hurley. 

Big Ben miss nearly the season. 

It happens. Both aren't commonplace. I think drama is more than likely to happen going out. With that said, all players on this team go out. Dennis is a constant at Magic. Al goes out to latin spots. Most NBA players party. From Lebron to a scrub. Some over do it like J.R. Smith in NY but most of them party. I heard of Matt Ryan partying before. Matt Ryan. Edit: Not seen though...

Edited by nbasupes40retired

lmao, they went to a club that you or I probably couldn't even get into.  LW3 posted a description earlier that talked about an "Ostrich leather wrapped [something or other]".  I don't think the venue was the issue.

Secondly, who are you to judge what makes a man a man?  NBA players could think you aren't a man because your body fat percentage is above 15, and they would have just as much of an argument as you do.

That's true, how could you be a man when you can't provide everything your wife ever wanted is what every pro athlete can tell you? Let's be real, the reason why most of us don't go out is because we have a 9 to 5 or we work long hours at our job or our own business. 

• Like 1

Wait, are there people in this thread who don't think nearly every pro athlete doesn't go out to the club? Lmao WOOOW. People need to stop comparing their lifestyle to the lifestyle of a rich and famous athlete

We want everyone to be losers and call everyone a loser but yet, are they paying to watch us do what we do professionally. If I pay AHF to be my lawyer. I can't tell him how to live his live. I can simply pay the retainer and with a good business relationship, he has my back on legal stuff and what not. 

ATLien, can you get your wife a million dollars if she needed it tomorrow? If you can't, "how can you claim to be a real man?" -Pro athlete

You see, don't go challenging people's manhood without a leg to stand on. I will state this, I won't be a chatty patty on no man on something I don't know. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired
  • Like 2