• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If the hawks lose this series, what roster changes should we make/what flaws do you see with this team?

yungsta

If this team losses in the first or second round management should break them up.

This is likely as weak as the eastern conference gets folks... Without no superstar and Millsap and Horford being at their peak (age wise) there is not a lot of room for this team to get better without big changes. The Hawks starters have basically maxed their potential, and if you can't come out of the east this year... There is no use in trying it again next year. This is a win now team, and getting to the finals probably will not get any easier than it is now. It's now or never... Or you choose the same route that the Hawks took in in the late 90's and ride the team to first and 2nd round exits until the wheels fall off.

• Like 1

If this team losses in the first or second round management should break them up.

This is likely as weak as the eastern conference gets folks... Without no superstar and Millsap and Horford being at their peak (age wise) there is not a lot of room for this team to get better without big changes. The Hawks starters have basically maxed their potential, and if you can't come out of the east this year... There is no use in trying it again next year. This is a win now team, and getting to the finals probably will not get any easier than it is now. It's now or never... Or you choose the same route that the Hawks took in in the late 90's and ride the team to first and 2nd round exits until the wheels fall off.

When you go down the list pretty much all of them are probably playing at their best with maybe marginal growth from Teague/Horford/Carrol.  Millsap/Korver probably have seen their peak this season with no room to grow at this point.  If we lose Millsap or Carrol in the offseason the roster will see change anyways but they probably need to be looking for a Korver replacement also. 

its not just for low post defeense, its for overall team defense. in my OP i stated that we overhelp/overcollapse on defese, which is a terribly flawed defensive scheme because we give up a league high in 3 point attempts. I believe this scheme is by design because we lack any kind of rim protection when someone gets beat, and we have to overhelp and collapse in order to stop the opponent from getting easy points in the paint.

We need a rim protector so we can stay home on shooters more and not worry about giving up points in the paint.

All of that is true about us over helping and purposely collapsing on defense but I don't believe it's screaming Hawks need a big that can protect the goal because horford is good enough!

I think it screams that the Hawks need another perimeter defender other than Carroll that can hold their own and don't need much help containing their man in the perimeter! But to be honest we had that with Thabo!

I think a bigger concern as far as bug men goes is scoring in the post....Hawks would be super efficient with a brook Lopez like center in the post to go with this unselfish ball movement offense. But like I said before....no hawk fan can just say "let's not worry about resigning millsap" that's absurd! We don't have it like that no matter how complete or deep as a whole you may think the Hawks are! There will be situations where ISO offense will have to be used and we have only seen it from millsap and Teague and every now and then Dennis.

If we are going to talk about adding another big man to replace millsap he needs to be a sure 18 point scorer who can go ISO when need be for the team or honestly at any position other than pg....regardless if you talk about not keeping millsap there need to be another scorer you see that we can go after more so than defense in my opinion.

Replacing millsap with a better defender puts even more pressure on Teague that he's not ready for or honestly may not be capable of handling.

Now I'm only entertaining this thread because I find it interesting that fans continue to think our bigs are the problem when I clearly think it's the wing players but I don't think any Hawks will be moved.

When you go down the list pretty much all of them are probably playing at their best with maybe marginal growth from Teague/Horford/Carrol. Millsap/Korver probably have seen their peak this season with no room to grow at this point. If we lose Millsap or Carrol in the offseason the roster will see change anyways but they probably need to be looking for a Korver replacement also.

I say we look to bring Korver off the bench. Carroll has done enough to be resigned and kept. Millsap I doubt we truly let go unless bud think he can make Monroe a scoring threat or unless we have high hopes on getting younger kevin love or Leonard...I just don't see millsap being ignored by the Hawks he's just too important and arguably our best offensive talent when Teague isn't being aggressive

Edited by JTB

I say we look to bring Korver off the bench. Carroll has done enough to be resigned and kept. Millsap I doubt we truly let go unless bud think he can make Monroe a scoring threat or unless we have high hopes on getting younger kevin love or Leonard...I just don't see millsap being ignored by the Hawks he's just too important and arguably our best offensive talent when Teague isn't being aggressive

I agree.... If you don't want to split the team up, you have to get Korver on the bench and find that wing that can shoot, defend and slash some. Korver is too limited as a starter. I think the minutes and the pressure on him is too much. He can't carry the load he has been given any longer.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

All of that is true about us over helping and purposely collapsing on defense but I don't believe it's screaming Hawks need a big that can protect the goal because horford is good enough!

I disagree, analytically horford is flat out awful in rim protection.

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

in terms of estimated rim protection value hes ranked 46th out of all players in the league and is ranked 22th among all starting centers in points saved per 36 mins. 

in terms of estimated rim protection value hes ranked 46th out of all players in the league and is ranked 22th among all starting centers in points saved per 36 mins.

But if that is based on the number of attempts he gets to block at the rim, he will be in the low end given our perimeter defense was good until now. Players weren't getting in the paint.

Good point but the fact remains the same....if you are suggesting that we switch out millsap for a defending center to put beside horford that simply won't do us any good! You have to compensate for millsaps scoring ability.

So in other words unless this rim protector that we badly need in your eyes can also give us 18 to 20 point avg as well as drop points in ISO when need be this is completely irrelevant.

Then you have to think about the fact that coach Bud doesn't go for centers that are rim protectors only or Asik would probably already be on this roster. Every position need to have the ability to score.

To me millsap has the Hawks by the balls....it's hard to replace a scorer in this league! Remember after losing Johnson this team had nobody to turn to when needing points until sap! We badly yearned for "playoff Teague" to show up consistently .....and hell they look at this team now (national media) and don't believe we have anybody to turn to with the players we have to drop points when we need them but anybody keeping up with the Hawks know we lean on millsap or Teague when offense gets rough to drop some buckets.

You may be right about adding in a rim protector but what about the offense? Are we ready to depend on Teague when things get tough and we need a shot? What wing player you know of other than Leonard can we pick up to be a scoring option for us?....lol sap has this organization by the balls my man!

Edited by JTB