• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If the hawks lose this series, what roster changes should we make/what flaws do you see with this team?

yungsta

we really need a dynamic playmaking/scoring wing player, ala Leonard/Ginobili. 

Our wing players are mostly spot up shooters. Watching how we preformed down the stretch, the ball was in teague hands for like 20 secs of the shot clock. There is so much pressure on teague to create something because we have no other players on the floor that is much of a threat run a pick and roll as the ball handler, or drive to the hole. Most teams dont run post plays, and stick to the pick and roll because its extremely difficult to get the ball down low during crunch time, and players occasionally get MAULED and get no calls in the post during game deciding possession.

The reason why we force feed it to millsap on the 3 point line on that final possession in regulation is because besides teague (who was being timid), he was the only threat to beat the man his man off the dribble with confidence.

Also when we run some kind of screen action during crunch time, to korver or DMC W.E, teams can simple switch easily with little consequences because we lack players that can break down their defender one on one and we are undersized, so we struggle to get off good shots.

We a rim protecting/ rebounding big! ala Tim Duncan

I know we did a good job on the boards today but hear me out. Our defense is way to retaliate on stopping at the point of attack, and we lack the lockdown defenders to play that kind of defense which was why thabo was VERY IMPORTANT to our defense. Since we have no rim protection, when someone is beat, we have to over collapse/overhelp in order to stop the team from getting a layup, which leads to us giving up a league high in 3 point attempts! 25.8!

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?&cat1=Total&cat2=opponent&conference=NBA&year=season_2014&sort=339

As you can see, the SPURS are at the very bottom of the league in giving up 3 point attempts. Analytically your first priorities are to stop 3's and layups on defense because they are the highest point per possession shot. 

We will NEVER be a consistently good defensive team playing this overhelping/blitzing style of defense and giving up that many 3's. This style of defense can be easily exposed and game plan against. Ironically, this is the same style of defense that the LBJ heat used and the SPURS were able to exploit that in the finals to put up an offensive rating of 110!

We need a big rim protector  so we can stay home on shooters without the fear of giving up easy shots in the paint!

Also getting a 7 foot rim protecting big will help us contain bigs like brook lopez, which is pretty obvious that no1 on this team has any chance to stop him or contain him since he towers our bigs.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

A -  Changes need to be made regardless on how far we go in the playoffs. We have a roster that has bought into Bud's scheme and know their role, but every spot on the team could be improved outside of where Horford plays and starting/backup PG. Korver and DMC should have Bazemore's and Thabo's spot on the bench, although cap space won't allow both to be moved.  We need to ask Jimmy Butler's agent how much he'd like a change to Atlanta over being overplayed and abused in Chicago. Would instantly youthen our wing depth and he fits.

B - I'm not sure if not caring about rebounds for the sake of stopping the fastbreak is a mechanic of Bud's system or if it's tailored just to this roster, but we need to get bigger this offseason. Resigning Millsap needs to be on the back burner until the top 5 free agent centers have all been spoken to. Horford needs to be moved to 4. I'm not blaming Sap for these past losses, but we have to get bigger.  They say we are Spurs East, yet the Spurs start games with a future HOFer 7-footer at power forward and have Splitter (when healthy) at 5. I know Buddy loves stretching the floor, but rebounding needs to be a bigger point of emphasis.

C - Bring over Walter Tavares.  With that said, Horford should be our backup center. Start Horf at 4, then move him to 5 when our center needs a break.  Then bring in Muscala with our starting 5 to give Horf a break. Walter is showing too much promise to leave him in Euro league.

The perfect offseason for me would be signing Butler and either Gasol or Lopez and bringing over Tavares. In the draft, draft a wing player in the first and a PG in the second. Then:

C - Gasol, Lopez, or Horford

PF -  Horford or Millsap

SF - DMC or Butler

SG - Butler or Korver

PG - Teague

6th - Schröder

7th - DMC or Korver

8th - Scott

9th - Pero

10th - Thabo

11th - Muscala

12th - Bazemore

13th - Mack

14th - 1st round draft pick

15th - Tavares

Jenkins, Daye, and Brand are gone.

A -  Changes need to be made regardless on how far we go in the playoffs. We have a roster that has bought into Bud's scheme and know their role, but every spot on the team could be improved outside of where Horford plays and starting/backup PG. Korver and DMC should have Bazemore's and Thabo's spot on the bench, although cap space won't allow both to be moved.  We need to ask Jimmy Butler's agent how much he'd like a change to Atlanta over being overplayed and abused in Chicago. Would instantly youthen our wing depth and he fits.

B - I'm not sure if not caring about rebounds for the sake of stopping the fastbreak is a mechanic of Bud's system or if it's tailored just to this roster, but we need to get bigger this offseason. Resigning Millsap needs to be on the back burner until the top 5 free agent centers have all been spoken to. Horford needs to be moved to 4. I'm not blaming Sap for these past losses, but we have to get bigger.  They say we are Spurs East, yet the Spurs start games with a future HOFer 7-footer at power forward and have Splitter (when healthy) at 5. I know Buddy loves stretching the floor, but rebounding needs to be a bigger point of emphasis.

C - Bring over Walter Tavares.  With that said, Horford should be our backup center. Start Horf at 4, then move him to 5 when our center needs a break.  Then bring in Muscala with our starting 5 to give Horf a break. Walter is showing too much promise to leave him in Euro league.

The perfect offseason for me would be signing Butler and either Gasol or Lopez and bringing over Tavares. In the draft, draft a wing player in the first and a PG in the second. Then:

PF -  Horford or Millsap

SF - DMC or Butler

SG - Butler or Korver

PG - Teague

6th - Schröder

7th - DMC or Korver

8th - Scott

9th - Pero

10th - Thabo

11th - Muscala

12th - Bazemore

13th - Mack

15th - Tavares

The problem is that butler is getting the max without question from the bulls, so there is virtually no chance we can get him since hes a restricted free agent. Young dynamic wing players GET PAID, look at how parson and hayward got maxed.

This was why I screaming to draft a young wing player in the draft that we could of developed, and have locked in for awhile.  Instead we took payne who plays a role/position that was VERY redundant. I agree that korver and DMC are more suited to be bench players. Watching how a guy like Rodney hood played this season just makes me even more upset. 

Also I dont see how we have a chance at Gasol considering the competition are teams like the Lakers, Knicks, and Spurs. I pray that waltars is able to develop into a rudy gobert type center, he is really our only chance in having a long term rim protector.

its unfortunate that our biggest needs are also the most expensive and hardest to get.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The problem is that butler is getting the max without question from the bulls, so there is virtually no chance we can get him since hes a restricted free agent. Young dynamic wing players GET PAID, look at how parson and hayward got maxed.

This was why I screaming to draft a young wing player in the draft that we could of developed, and have locked in for awhile.  Instead we took payne who plays a role/position that was VERY redundant. I agree that korver and DMC are more suited to be bench players. Watching how a guy like Rodney hood played this season just makes me even more upset. 

Also I dont see how we have a chance at Gasol considering the competition are teams like the Lakers, Knicks, and Spurs. I pray that waltars is able to develop into a rudy gobert type center, he is really our only chance in having a long term rim protector.

its unfortunate that our biggest needs are also the most expensive and hardest to get.

It really does suck because we won't improve until those areas are addressed.

https://vine.co/v/eWPIm7q10XM

Dunno how to embed a vine, but this is the blitz/trapping style of defense that we do and it lead to a wide open 3!

I was yelling at the tv all night for our guys to STAY ON THEIR MAN. Lopez isn't going to score 80 points to beat us. Take away the 3 point shot and force Lopez/Young to beat us.

• Like 1

It really does suck because we won't improve until those areas are addressed.

I pray our new ownership/GM (if ferry doesnt return), is like the warriors, and we do these things

1.  are willing to spend money,
  2. aggressively try to address our main weaknesses/flaws instead of trying to patch it up with vet minimums like (etan thomas, dampier)
  3. overpay to keep our own players,

If they dont all the momentum that was built up for this franchise for the past season will be gone in a flash and we are looking at the Josh/Joe Era Part 2.

A - Changes need to be made regardless on how far we go in the playoffs. We have a roster that has bought into Bud's scheme and know their role, but every spot on the team could be improved outside of where Horford plays and starting/backup PG. Korver and DMC should have Bazemore's and Thabo's spot on the bench, although cap space won't allow both to be moved. We need to ask Jimmy Butler's agent how much he'd like a change to Atlanta over being overplayed and abused in Chicago. Would instantly youthen our wing depth and he fits.

B - I'm not sure if not caring about rebounds for the sake of stopping the fastbreak is a mechanic of Bud's system or if it's tailored just to this roster, but we need to get bigger this offseason. Resigning Millsap needs to be on the back burner until the top 5 free agent centers have all been spoken to. Horford needs to be moved to 4. I'm not blaming Sap for these past losses, but we have to get bigger. They say we are Spurs East, yet the Spurs start games with a future HOFer 7-footer at power forward and have Splitter (when healthy) at 5. I know Buddy loves stretching the floor, but rebounding needs to be a bigger point of emphasis.

C - Bring over Walter Tavares. With that said, Horford should be our backup center. Start Horf at 4, then move him to 5 when our center needs a break. Then bring in Muscala with our starting 5 to give Horf a break. Walter is showing too much promise to leave him in Euro league.

PF - Horford or Millsap

SF - DMC or Butler

SG - Butler or Korver

PG - Teague

6th - Schröder

7th - DMC or Korver

8th - Scott

9th - Pero

10th - Thabo

11th - Muscala

12th - Bazemore

13th - Mack

15th - Tavares

This is hard for me but by all means yes the team need to be improved but i honestly believe hawk fans under estimate our players. For example I would love to get Leonard but we already know the Spurs are going to match any crazy deal thrown at him! But at the same time....it's not like Carroll hasn't proven he's starter quality and he's proving he deserves a good contract.

Are we hurting at the wing position? Yes when Carroll has to hold it down on his own since thabo is hurt. Other than that Carroll is a proven elite perimeter defender with an outstanding 3pt shot. We need to resign him ASAP.

As far as putting Saps contract on the back burner for a center that's bigger than horford....I disagree! You only want a 7 footer now because brook Lopez is giving Horford some problems but in reality horford has done an excellent job checking most centers across the league and there aren't many centers that do what brook can do and that's score in the post at will.

But I realized you didn't say get rid of Horford, you said put millsap contract on the "back burner" I have no issue with this but we already don't have but 2 players sometimes 3 that can go ISO and make a play....millsap is our best at scoring on his own followed by Teague and then Dennis.

If we holdout on Sap we need to be going after another scorer period! That's a huge risk I'm sure the Hawks don't want to be in! It took us a while to get a scorer back when Johnson left....we need to make plans to go after kevin love or somebody if we plan to skip out on Sap....I don't care what anybody says we will not get the same kind of offense out of horford that we get out of millsap and it's silly to think we can go without a scorer on this roster cause we can't.

All in all I'm not arguing with you as we do need to make changes but I really believe we need a "NAME" in other words a superstar player if we can't get any where with this roster and that's what it all comes down too. The NBA respects names.....this next comment may be silly but I can't help but to wonder how many "star calls" this team would get if we replaced sap with kevin love.

Love I think fits the Spurs system though he had a down year but what he also can do is score in ISO like he has proven in past years but I think sap is of course the better overall player but saps name isn't bigger than kevin love even during loves down year therefore I will always wonder what this Hawks team could really be doing if they had a super star name on the roster.

They need to get Hezonja or R.J. Hunter. They need someone who can score in the NBA and play team defense. 

Walter Tavares. 

That should be enough. Adding Monroe, Lopez or Marc Gasol and losing Millsap could really help us as well. Horford is a PF. Move him to where he's good at. 

@JTB, most of the contending western conference teams have very good centers. I think it's an issue for us. I seen D. Jordan give us a crap load of issues. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

They need to get Hezonja or R.J. Hunter. They need someone who can score in the NBA and play team defense.

Walter Tavares.

That should be enough. Adding Monroe, Lopez or Marc Gasol and losing Millsap could really help us as well. Horford is a PF. Move him to where he's good at.

@JTB, most of the contending western conference teams have very good centers. I think it's an issue for us. I seen D. Jordan give us a crap load of issues.

I'm not saying that your wrong. I'm just saying losing millsap is like depending on Jeff Teague to be our main scorer when things get tough.....I just don't think it's a good idea.

But if we lose in this first round it may be a great idea to go after Monroe and let sap go though I don't believe sap is the problem.

Oh and I hate to make excuses but not having Thabo is hurting us more than not having a big the size of Lopez. We don't have anyone that can come in and relieve DMC with similar size

im BACK to my original idea. trade horford and a pick for dwight howard. instant rim protector and inside option to balance our attack when the jumpers are not falling. dwight has shown the in this playoffs that if you feed him, he can produce...........

pg teague

sg korver

sm carroll

pf millsap

c howard

I have a better question.....

If we make the ECF and lose in game 7....do we make major changes or keep the same team with small adjustments?

I only ask cause I believe many think we should change the roster around completely no matter what.

I'm not saying that your wrong. I'm just saying losing millsap is like depending on Jeff Teague to be our main scorer when things get tough.....I just don't think it's a good idea.

thats why I emphasized that we need to get dynamic scoring wing player WITH a center so our offense doesnt fall off much while our defense improves significantly.

This is hard for me but by all means yes the team need to be improved but i honestly believe hawk fans under estimate our players. For example I would love to get Leonard but we already know the Spurs are going to match any crazy deal thrown at him! But at the same time....it's not like Carroll hasn't proven he's starter quality and he's proving he deserves a good contract.

Are we hurting at the wing position? Yes when Carroll has to hold it down on his own since thabo is hurt. Other than that Carroll is a proven elite perimeter defender with an outstanding 3pt shot. We need to resign him ASAP.

As far as putting Saps contract on the back burner for a center that's bigger than horford....I disagree! You only want a 7 footer now because brook Lopez is giving Horford some problems but in reality horford has done an excellent job checking most centers across the league and there aren't many centers that do what brook can do and that's score in the post at will.

its not just for low post defeense, its for overall team defense. in my OP i stated that we overhelp/overcollapse on defese, which is a terribly flawed defensive scheme because we give up a league high in 3 point attempts. I believe this scheme is by design because we lack any kind of rim protection when someone gets beat, and we have to overhelp and collapse in order to stop the opponent from getting easy points in the paint.

We need a rim protector so we can stay home on shooters more and not worry about giving up points in the paint.

This thread has bad juju written all over it.  Why have threads discussing our off-season before we're even knocked out of the playoffs?

sorry lol but im slowly creeping into panic mode. I hope this is a jinx thread and they can magically turn it around.