• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What Hawks take from this season to build on next

RandomFan

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/playoffs/2015/05/27/atlanta-hawks-future-mike-budenholzer-paul-millsap-demarre-carroll-kyle-korver-jeff-teague-ownership/28021173/

USA TODAY 2:41 p.m. EDT May 27, 2015

CLEVELAND – The Atlanta Hawks had an amazing season: a franchise-record 60 regular-season wins, four All-Stars, the NBA coach of the year in Mike Budenholzer and a trip to the Eastern Conference finals for the first time in team history.

Twenty-six other teams would love to have that kind of season.

Budenholzer was reluctant to elaborate in the immediate aftermath of the 118-88 Game 4 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"Obviously, it was a great season," Budenholzer said after the Cleveland Cavaliers eliminated the Hawks in an Eastern Conference finals sweep.

And yet, it feels like a disappointing, lackluster bummer of a finish for Atlanta: losing in four games to the Cleveland Cavaliers in a series that at one time seemingly had potential to go six, seven games.

"We did a lot of things in Atlanta basketball history this year," point guard Jeff Teague said. "We had a great season, won a lot of games, but we ended on a disappointing note, and I think everyone in the locker room is disappointed in themselves. It's early for our team. It's only our second year together. We're looking forward to getting back in the gym and getting ready for next year."

The Hawks' season helped soothe any pain from the racially insensitive comments made by general manager Danny Ferry, who is on an indefinite leave of absence, and owner Bruce Levenson, who just reached a deal, along with other ownership partners, to sell the Hawks to a group led private equity billionaire Tony Ressler.

Budenholzer, who is handling player personnel decisions, and CEO Steve Koonin will ease the transition to new owners.

Let's be fair, and the Hawks aren't alone in dealing with injuries during the playoffs, but the Hawks' style was derailed by injuries to Thabo Sefolosha, DeMarre Carroll and Kyle Korver, and Al Horford and Paul Millsap were not 100%.

Yet something wasn't right with the Hawks as the regular season came to end, and they were not the efficient offensive and defensive machine so many came to enjoy and appreciate watching during a large portion of the regular season.

Several theories abound. The Hawks ran out of steam after a 43-10 start, weren't built for the playoffs, didn't have that true superstar to carry them in times of need, lacked front-court depth and didn't have the playoff experience as a group. In the playoffs, that tremendous ball movement, three-point shooting and low-post play suffered.

"We have a similar system as the Spurs, and you've seen them win championships," Teague said. "So it's possible. You've just got to be able to play well all the time, and we didn't in this series."

The Hawks like their team, their style and philosophy and believe it can yield even better results.

"Every team has different ways to build and different ways to give themselves what they feel is their best chance," Budenholzer said. "There's no doubt the way that we built the team with a lot of really good players, a lot of high-character guys, we feel like we can compete and play with anybody in the league. … This is the way we're built. We believe in it. We think we can win at a high level, and we'll continue to do that."

Earlier in the season, Budenholzer explained his basketball philosophy that sounds simple in theory but is difficult to assemble: share the ball, play make reads, play defense, cover for one another, communicate.

The players bought in wholly, enjoying the style and playing it with joy. It has resulted in a close group that has indicated it wants to remain together.

"We're family," Millsap said. "This team is close."

Now, the Hawks will focus on next season and the future, starting with the June draft and free agency. The Hawks are in good position for the draft. The fine details of the trade that sent Joe Johnson from the Atlanta Hawks to the Brooklyn Nets in 2012 gave them the right to switch places with the Nets in the 2015 draft. Atlanta has the 15th pick, a great spot for a 60-win team looking for depth, and it also has two second-round picks.

In free agency, the first order of business is retaining Millsap and Carroll, both of whom are free agents and will coveted by other teams. Two years ago, Millsap, 30, signed a two-year deal and declined a four-year deal in hope that he could sign one more big deal. He's another player who bet on himself and won.

Before spraining his knee in Game 1 against the Cavs, Carroll was Atlanta's best player in the playoffs, leading the team in scoring and often defending the opponent's best perimeter player. That was LeBron James in the East finals. Carroll made $2.4 million this season and is line for a significant raise.

The Hawks are supremely confident they can keep Millsap and Carroll, and they have the cap space to do it and add another free agent.

This also will be a big summer for the development of Dennis Schröder, Kent Bazemore, Mike Scott and Mike Muscala.

Sefolosha's situation is worth following. He suffered a leg fracture and ligament damage during an incident with New York police, and Sefolosha said police caused the injury. Internally, there is concern about Sefolosha's short- and long-term health because of the injury. It is a long road to recovery.

"This team has done a lot, and we have a lot of confidence in this team," Budenholzer said. "We'll look to improve and look to get better, but bringing back this team would excite us, excite me. It's a hell of a group.

"But I think any time you can find opportunities to get better, that's all of our challenges, and exactly what that means, I don't think tonight is appropriate. But I will say that this is a hell of a group, and to bring them back would be a huge priority."

Edited by RandomFan

This article should squash any notion people might be having whether Bud "want's" to bring Sap and DMC back to the team; or whether they think we wont be able to because of money.

Also, a bit of unfortunate news I hadn't heard until now.

That's gotta suck to be injured enough to need surgery in the very last game of the season. That will definitely impact his ability to improve this offseason as well. But then we top it off with some decent news about Korver only needing 3 months of recovery time, and not the speculated 4 to 6 months we'd been hearing.

Edited by RandomFan

I don't care what anybody says I know that Bud loves this team and that he meant every little word in his statement and I was afraid of this!

Bud is a great coach but he is also very attached to this team but for good reason after all they did win 60 games but the fact is, is that they weren't playoff ready and that there is a major size issue in the post.

So brace yourselves this team isn't going anywhere so the Marc Gasol, Greg Monroe, Lamarcus Aldridge post can officially stop. The best we can hope for is that Bud and Ferry if he's still here has a plan to fix our obvious weaknesses. Only thing I can think of now, assuming Bud stays true to his statement of bringing back this same team is for the hawks to sign a BIG like Robin Lopez and make Millsap our version of Ginobli coming off the bench but getting starter like minutes and of course playing in crunch time. (Don't see Sap having a problem with this as long as it benefits the team and he's getting a contract he feels he's worth…it should be all about winning at the end of the day now that they have made it this far)

Also maybe the hawks can grab Gary Neal for a decent contract that won't break the team. Other than small moves like that I don't see much the hawks can do to improve the team if they are bringing back the same group.

Not a Bad lineup and the bench improves significantly:

Pg-Teague

Sg-Korver

Sf-Carroll

Pf-Horford

C-Robin Lopez (Minutes will be limited do to Millsap)

Bench

Pg-Dennis

Sg-Bazemore/Gary Neal

Sf-Thabo

Pf-Millsap/Moose (Sap will always be first off the bench and will get around 30 Min)

C-Edy/Moose

However if of course they are determined to bring back the same starting 5 no matter what….expect the same issues. It honestly doesn't matter who's added to the bench so don't get over excited with bench upgrades. In the playoffs starters have to play majority minutes and this starting 5 has weaknesses that are now obvious to all of the league and will not be creeping up on opponents next year.

Im b**ching already but I mind as well I don't think we will be changing much of anything. 

Lol @ paying Millsap $15-18m per year to come off the bench. That ain't happening. If he's here, he's starting.

And people are going to have to keep saying it apparenlty, but lack of healthy players and lack of big-time playoff experience was our weakness in the playoffs, not a lack of good players.

I also find it a bit dumbfounding how some of our fans give Coach Bud so little credit for being able to continue to upgrade the roster while keeping this core together. I mean, who here thought signing Millsap and Carroll 2 years ago was going to be as incredible as it turned out? Who thought Bazemore was going to develop as quickly as he has for a $2m per year contract?

Are we really so certain that Bud doesn't have some other players on his free agent wishlist that might be gotten at an undervalued contract that will greatly outperform expectations under this staff? I'm certainly not in that group. And now he has a winning pedigree with this franchise to more easily attract those types of players. I guess I just don't get the fan that always looks at the negative in everything.

Well hopefully we don't pay Millsap that much! That's ridiculous....14m per year is the highest I think the Hawks will give him. Second Millsap coming off the bench was just a way of trying to make the team bigger and deeper as it should be all about the team and not what one player wants.

Last I agree and disagree....this Hawks team don't lack playoff experience whether it's big time or not the Hawks didn't come to play in none of the rounds and yes the Hawks have good players hell better big men than the cavs skill wise but you can't teach size and power....sap and Horford has struggled against every big they have faced through the post season. Not to mention that they weren't a strong rebounding team to begin with.

Doesn't matter his much you like sap or Horford. Their all star selection don't matter, their ability to shoot the ball don't matter...they aren't big enough to rebound with the big boys when it matters nor can they protect the rim at a consistent high rate. These are issues that need to be fixed or we will be out by round 2 next playoffs

• Like 2

And yet people have repeatedly posted statistics and previous NBA champions that prove rebounding is the most overblown statistic in basketball. And also an article about how Darvin Ham spoke about how rim protection is highly overrated and our scheme is designed to not require one.

You can't be aware that Horford and Millsap were both injured during the playoffs, and then turn around and say they didn't come to play. That's a huge contradiction in terms.

The issue that needs to be fixed is we need to have a healthy team next time; and for our players to continue to work on improving individually and developing more on-court cohesion in what will be only year 3 in this system with this group of players.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

And yet people have repeatedly posted statistics and previous NBA champions that prove rebounding is the most overblown statistic in basketball. And also an article about how Darvin Ham spoke about how rim protection is highly overrated and our scheme is designed to not require one.

You can't be aware that Horford and Millsap were both injured during the playoffs, and then turn around and say they didn't come to play. That's a huge contradiction in terms.

The issue that needs to be fixed is we need to have a healthy team next time; and for our players to continue to work on improving individually and developing more on-court cohesion in what will be only year 3 in this system with this group of players.

Sorry I respectfully disagree....every player is injured or banged up by the time the conference finals roll around! Hell the cavs were missing 2 of their superstars for the majority of the series and playoffs all together.

I understand Sap and Horford were injured but unfortunately that's not a good excuse to how badly they performed on the biggest stage of their careers. Just like coach Bud stated in his interview after the game "the play in this series (ECF) was inexcusable"

I'm shocked so many agree with you as if injuries can be avoided over an 82 game season through a whole playoffs. Somebody is going to get injured! The Hawks cannot use the injury excuse when other teams are also injured!

And your fix is that we need to get back to the ECF healthy?! Why can't you admit that the Hawks lack size? I don't understand....saying they lack size isn't insulting them it's just telling the truth. Millsap and Horford are skilled big men but when they face bigger athletic bigs they will struggle. Playoffs are different than regular season and injuries are something every team has to deal with once the playoffs come around

By the way rebounds aren't overrated when you get as many second chance opportunities as the cavs got. Yeah if the Hawks shot efficiently rebounds wouldn't be needed but in the playoffs it's harder to shoot efficiently more so than fighting and hustling for a rebound.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

Sorry I respectfully disagree....every player is injured or banged up by the time the conference finals roll around! Hell the cavs were missing 2 of their superstars for the majority of the series and playoffs all together.

I understand Sap and Horford were injured but unfortunately that's not a good excuse to how badly they performed on the biggest stage of their careers. Just like coach Bud stated in his interview after the game "the play in this series (ECF) was inexcusable"

I'm shocked so many agree with you as if injuries can be avoided over an 82 game season through a whole playoffs. Somebody is going to get injured! The Hawks cannot use the injury excuse when other teams are also injured!

And your fix is that we need to get back to the ECF healthy?! Why can't you admit that the Hawks lack size? I don't understand....saying they lack size isn't insulting them it's just telling the truth. Millsap and Horford are skilled big men but when they face bigger athletic bigs they will struggle. Playoffs are different than regular season and injuries are something every team has to deal with once the playoffs come around

By the way rebounds aren't overrated when you get as many second chance opportunities as the cavs got. Yeah if the Hawks shot efficiently rebounds wouldn't be needed but in the playoffs it's harder to shoot efficiently more so than fighting and hustling for a rebound.

Pretty much. You can't expect to shoot as well in the playoffs as you do the regular season.. Especially when you don't have great shooters in the first place.

Sorry, but guys like Millsap, Bazemore, Teague, Dennis and Al are not dependable 3pt shooters. Not in the playoffs their not... And sorry... But Korver's role is too big for him and it became more obvious as the season went along. He was never a 30 MPG player before he got here, and expecting him to keep playing that role now that he is getting older is only going to bring diminishing returns.

Moreover, he is not a dependable playoff performer. The fans of teams that he was on before he got here will tell you that.

People really have to learn the hard way I guess.

• Like 2

Agreed Bogut,Green and back up center > horford.Milsap...Thompson Mozgov > Sap and Horford

Even the Bulls had the best rebounder in the league in the 2nd go around in the Jordan years.

Despite the results we see... People (including Teague) continue to belief the Hawks can duplicate the Spurs success with just good players. It's a fantasy. I know I've mocked Mozgov some, but at the end of the day... The teams with the rebounding and shot blocking big men are in the finals and the Hawks are out.

How is rim protection and rebounding overrated? Is it overrated when a guy like Thompson can grab offensive rebounds and have second chances at scoring? Or how about when a team can consistently drive to the rim at will with no fear. Last night, D12 was a force in the paint and the Warriors struggled offensively early on.

Sign Dmc, let Millsap walk. Sign a big man like Koufos who can protect the paint. This allows Horford to move to his natural position. Improves rebounding and interior defense. A lineup of Teague-Korver-DMC-Horford-koufos would be an improvement imo. Draft Sam Dekker to develo. Moose, Schröder, Dekker, Bazemore, and Scott would be a good productive bench.

Agree. Sap and Horford did well in the regular season but even in the playoffs had trouble against Washington's big line and Lopez of the Nets was giving the Hawks problems. How long have we been looking for a true big man? Even if it isn't a center but power forward I would take it. LA of Portland would be ideal but again does management want to go after  star or keep the status quo? Season ticket sales are up because of winning but just think if you added a big name to the team Hawks would sell out almost every time. Hard to win in the playoffs with small ball. Teams who end up in the championship can do it all. 

Excellent post. Especially considering that it was a Horford OFFENSIVE rebound that won probably the biggest game in Hawks history.

The great teams can win games in multiple ways. When your shots don't fall, you must possess the capability to either stop your opponent on the other end, or grab offensive rebounds.

Or do both.

I agree with both. They need to improve internally AND they need more size in the post.

Exactly but I just hate that bud wants to bring back this same team! I'm surprised this thread don't have more comments about that because it isn't necessarily a good thing when there's players in free agency that can come to the Hawks and just about gurantee a trip back to the ECF being on this team in Lamarcus and Gasol

Sometimes you have to just go and break the bank when you have the opportunity.

Also I find it odd that analysts don't see Lamarcus or Gasol considering the east period. Do they not know how effective those guys would make an east contender? Especially a good overall quality team like the Hawks?....I swear no one media and all wants to see the Atlanta Hawks get better and I don't get why