• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta is Watching?!?! (NBA Finals Ratings in Atlanta)

Diesel

• Premium Member

There's a poll going around that shows that Atlanta is one of the top 10 teams watching game 1 of the Finals.  (for some reason, I can't post the poll).

Top 10 cities watching Game 1 of the finals. In Trying to understand why this list looks this way, I tried to understand why no Dallas, why no LA, why no NY  And How did Atlanta get here.

Let's state the Obvious, Cleveland and San Fran are there because of the Cavs and the Warriors respectively.

Miami is there because of Lebron.

Columbus is there because of Lebron and Steph.

Norfolk, Richmond and Raleigh are there because of Steph?

But I think Memphis and Atlanta are there for the same reason.  The Grizz and Hawks fans have to know How good are we?  There's a lot that can be taken from game 1, but it's interesting that Hawks fans want to know How good are we really?

We were swept by the James gang and if they had been blown out, that would mean that we really wasn't that good.  If they would have blown out GS, then that means that we could claim that our team was still one of the top teams in the League and just lost to a better (the best team) still playing.

You can read it how you wish, but What I see in this is that as Koonin as stated, we're building a culture.  Atlanta has been known as one of the worst sports towns in America.  Well, I would like to suggest, that this seemingly meaningless rating suggest that there are basketball fans in Atlanta and more than likely, they are Hawks fans!!!

Let's go Hawks.

• Premium Member

Top local markets:

Market Rating Cleveland 41.4 San Francisco 28.9 Columbus 21.1 Memphis 19.9 Norfolk 16.5 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 16.2 Sacramento 15.7 Atlanta 15.6 Richmond-Petersburg 15.2 Raleigh-Durham 15.0

• Moderators

I don't think this is new. Atl has always been a good market for the Finals.  I only watched starting at 1:40 left in OT-long enough to see the score.  

Agreed.  Atlanta is an outstanding market for people watching the NBA on TV.  Koonin is trying to awaken them to the Hawks specifically.

Game 1 earned a 41.4 rating in Cleveland, up 20% from Cavaliers/Spurs in 2007 (34.3) and the market’s highest overnight for an NBA game on ABC. It earned a 28.9 in the Bay Area, also a record for the market on ABC. The record numbers could not match the most recent World Series openers in each market — a 47.5 in Cleveland for Indians/Marlins in 1997 and a 29.3 in the Bay Area for Giants/Royals last year.

Columbus, OH (21.1), Memphis (19.9) and Norfolk, VA (16.5) rounded out the top five. Atlanta ranked eighth with a 15.6 rating, which topped every game of the Cavaliers/Hawks Eastern Conference Finals.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/06/nba-finals-ratings-cavaliers-warriors-highest-game-one-overnight-since-2002/

Basketball town? Check. Hawks town? Uhhhh....

Yeah, this is by far the bigger issue for me. We have more people that are watching two other teams play than watched the hometeam play in the ECF. That's just ridiculous. And if any media dolt tries to say ATL isn't full of transplants in the future, stick this stat in their stupid face.

Edited by RandomFan

• Moderators

Yeah, this is by far the bigger issue for me. We have more people that are watching two other teams play than watched the hometeam play in the ECF. That's just ridiculous. And if any media dolt tries to say ATL isn't full of transplants in the future, stick this stat in their stupid face.

Not really. Hell, I didn't really watch game 1, 2, or 4 of the ECF. I just didn't care for some reason... Felt like getting to the ECF was an accomplishment enough, although that should never be the goal at the beginning of the season. After how the Hawks lost game 1, it was hard to get excited for game 2-4 and it got subsequently harder to watch after that.

considering how we got destroyed in a 4 game series, that doesnt really surprise me that it would have less ratings than a competitive NBA finals featuring 2 MVPs.

Most ppl knew from the previous series, we were frauds. We need talented size in the worst way. 

Most ppl knew from the previous series, we were frauds. We need talented size in the worst way. 

Most my arse. Speak for yourself champ. Some people, myself included, knew we needed to be healthy.

Edited by RandomFan

we sold out phillips arena in our 2 home games right? that's about a total of 38,000 less people watching on TV. and after going down 0-2 it makes sense not to watch anymore. not that big of a deal and easily explainable imo 

Not really. Hell, I didn't really watch game 1, 2, or 4 of the ECF. I just didn't care for some reason... Felt like getting to the ECF was an accomplishment enough, although that should never be the goal at the beginning of the season. After how the Hawks lost game 1, it was hard to get excited for game 2-4 and it got subsequently harder to watch after that.

No. The first game, no one knew we were going to lose and yet we still didn't have people watching as much. In fact, we had more people watching when it wasn't us. So that's pretty bad.

I attribute this to poor marketing from YEARS before. Gearon could never get our fans excited. Hell he insulted our fans for not showing up. What a dope.

• Premium Member

I also think that when we played the ECF, even though it was against Lebron, we didnt get good primetime coverage.   These whole playoffs, we have been on off days on TNT.

The NBA finals gets prime time coverage after a week of hype ON ABC

Y'all do realize that ABC has more viewers than TNT right?

Good point. For some reason I thought we were on ABC, so the viewership can explain some of this.