• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David West

David West a free agent

Indiana Pacers veteran power forward David West will not exercise the $12.6 million player option of his contract, and will become a free agent this summer, a league source informed The Star on Wednesday. West, who turns 35 in August, averaged 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds last year. West played four seasons in Indiana and has been considered as a cornerstone in the franchise since arriving in 2011.

Free Agency, David West, Indiana Pacers

He opted out of $12.5 mil at age 35??? Wow.

I think West made a mistake. I don't think the Pacers are gonna make the playoffs and the ultra compete rib West wants a shot at a ring over money.

He's an East Coast guy, maybe he grew tired of Indy. Can't blame him, but 4 mil or more is a lot of coin to pass up. He's probably thinking he could be a Mo Speights or Corliss Williamson type off the bench for the champ.

I never been a big fan, but I saw him kill us late up close and personal in that Game 6 a couple years ago. Had to respect it.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

They got rid of Lance but I don't feel like there is much camaraderie on that team.   And I wonder if George's career is going to start looking like Grant Hill's.   I don't blame West for trying to find a better situation and actually get back to the playoffs.  

West is solid at his age. He's smart and plays within himself. He can still get you 12 and 6 a game. I am sure he knows he's not gonna come close to getting that amount in free agency. Guess the Pacers just don't do it for him anymore.

• Admin

I have a lot more respect for West now ... he is giving up his 12 mil to potentially sign a min contract with a win now team.  He is more about winning then the money.  Kudos, I wish there were more guys like him

• Like 1