• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who Would Have Accepted this Trade?

JSmooooove

• Premium Member

The cold reality is that once $15m for DMC was on the table, a decision had to be made on who was the priority, him or Sap. Your equation, if meant to be objective, has to take that into account. If it's merely meant to assert a point, then sure, leave that out.

• Like 2

We would've lost the cap space that DMC would've accounted for anyway, so I don't see that as much of an argument.

Well He was comparing last to to the upcoming year but like I said thats not how real life works.

Well He was comparing last to to the upcoming year but like I said thats not how real life works.

Was he? See I saw it as a trade made this off season, when these roster switches actually occured. So that way he could pose a hypothetical more in line with how real life works. Not some crazy space/time dual universe comparisons.

But maybe you're right. He didn't elaborate.

It's really Demarre, Pero, and Jenkins for Paul, Tiago, and THJ. If we kept Demarre there would be no chance at keeping Paul. I don't see how this could possibly be looked at as a worse team from last year. The rest of the east might be better and make it tougher to do what we did last year, but we still improved

• Premium Member

Carroll and pero for Splitter and Hardaway?

The problem is that it wasn't a trade.   No Hawks fan on Squawk would have given Carroll 15 Million per and guaranteed us not resigning Sap.

I mean, what's the better situation?? having:

Oubre, Carroll, and Brandon Bass ...  Looking for a Big

or

THJr, Sap and Splitter ... Looking for a Sf

• Moderators

Let's put this another way, one based in reality: A 15th or 19th pick who might be a backup in 2-3 years, or an All-Rookie one year removed who can contribute as the backup now? Splitter or Antić? Our all-star at $19mil/yr for 3 years, or our only non all-star starter (who will decline in a lesser system under a lesser coach) at $15mil/yr for 4 years. Every move Hawks have made in draft/FAcy so far are shrewd ones. Just to put things into perspective wink3.gif

I agree with  your basic point that this trade is a false dilemma because last year can't exist this year.

However, why use the false statement that a 15th pick "might be a backup in 2-3 years?"

That happens when you blow the pick.  When you nail the pick you get what the Spurs did which was a starter from day 1 and an All-Star down the line like Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard.  Those Spurs teams were machines winning 50-60 games every season and they still had Parker and Leonard starting the vast majority of games their rookie years.

That value from nailing the picks has been huge in multiple rings for them.  That is my perspective.

• Like 1

I agree with  your basic point that this trade is a false dilemma because last year can't exist this year.

However, why use the false statement that a 15th pick "might be a backup in 2-3 years?"

That happens when you blow the pick.  When you nail the pick you get what the Spurs did which was a starter from day 1 and an All-Star down the line like Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard.  Those Spurs teams were machines winning 50-60 games every season and they still had Parker and Leonard starting the vast majority of games their rookie years.

That value from nailing the picks has been huge in multiple rings for them.  That is my perspective.

What was available at 15 and 19 this draft will only be a backup in 2 years, inferior to THJr this moment. There were no Tony Parkers, no Kawhi Leonards to be had there.

• Like 1

What was available at 15 and 19 this draft will only be a backup in 2 years, inferior to THJr this moment. There were no Tony Parkers, no Kawhi Leonards to be had there.

Just jumping in the fray: how do you know? who expected Parker at pick #29 to be the player he is now. When Pop said the Kawhi would be the face of the Spurs going forward everyone chuckled 'crazy old man.

I do agree that their is a lower chance that a player picked later woyld be successful. Teague was pick #19, he is our starting PG.

Bud didn't think that a player at 15 or 19 could help immediately hence the trade knowing that THjr has some experience already.

Difficult to say what they'll be in 2 years - Bud didn't want to wait to find out.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Just jumping in the fray: how do you know? who expected Parker at pick #29 to be the player he is now. When Pop said the Kawhi would be the face of the Spurs going forward everyone chuckled 'crazy old man.

I do agree that their is a lower chance that a player picked later woyld be successful. Teague was pick #19, he is our starting PG.

Bud didn't think that a player at 15 or 19 could help immediately hence the trade knowing that THjr has some experience already.

Difficult to say what they'll be in 2 years - Bud didn't want to wait to find out.

I don't, but I trust Bud to know ;)

• Moderators

Agreed.  That is what smart drafting does.  Nobody thought Parker was nearly that good and they nailed the pick.  It has paid dividends for them for many years.  If they dealt that pick for a guy like THJ, they may have cost themselves a couple of rings because they consistently got guys like THJ off the scrap pile for low $$ contracts and they would not have been able to sign a stud PG under their carefully managed cap approach.

Time will tell.  I hope I am seriously underrating THJ as being next Bellinelli and he will be much more of an impact than that.

Agreed. That is what smart drafting does. Nobody thought Parker was nearly that good and they nailed the pick. It has paid dividends for them for many years. If they dealt that pick for a guy like THJ, they may have cost themselves a couple of rings because they consistently got guys like THJ off the scrap pile for low $$ contracts and they would not have been able to sign a stud PG under their carefully managed cap approach.

Time will tell. I hope I am seriously underrating THJ as being next Bellinelli and he will be much more of an impact than that.

I hope THjr does well for us - I can honestly say I haven't seen him play like I haven't seen these college kids play.

• Premium Member

I think many Squawkers suffer from the delusion of the unseen.

We like what hasn't been seen.

Many people cry for Oubre.

He may turn out to be something.  He may not.  From his college year, he looked good against weaker opponents and not so good against stronger opponents.   His shooting from outside is sporatic, so it needs seasoning.  His defense should be his calling card.  Like Kawhi Leonard he has good wingspan.  Unlike Kawhi Leonard, his footwork is not there yet.  The Kawhi Leonard's and the Tony Parkers are the result of Keen eyes who know Basketball personnel.  Interestingly enough, it was Bud who was the Keen eye who knew the Basketball personell who found them.

IF Bud decided that THJr was a great pickup for this team over anybody inthe draft, why...O Why... are people questioning him???  this decision??

Do you trust Bud or Nah?

I think many Squawkers suffer from the delusion of the unseen.

We like what hasn't been seen.

Many people cry for Oubre.

He may turn out to be something. He may not. From his college year, he looked good against weaker opponents and not so good against stronger opponents. His shooting from outside is sporatic, so it needs seasoning. His defense should be his calling card. Like Kawhi Leonard he has good wingspan. Unlike Kawhi Leonard, his footwork is not there yet. The Kawhi Leonard's and the Tony Parkers are the result of Keen eyes who know Basketball personnel. Interestingly enough, it was Bud who was the Keen eye who knew the Basketball personell who found them.

IF Bud decided that THJr was a great pickup for this team over anybody inthe draft, why...O Why... are people questioning him??? this decision??

Do you trust Bud or Nah?

Let me correct you @Diesel: RC Buford (GM and lead scout) along with Sam Presti (assistant GM at the time) found Parker and brought him in for the workout, he was horrible in his 1st work out, Pop called him soft. They convinced Pop and the other coaches to have him back for a 2nd look, the rest is history.  http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/03/21/hubbard-how-the-spurs-ended-up-with-tony-parker/

RC Buford again found Kawhi, he needed the help of the other coaches including Bud to convince Pop it was time to trade GHill for Kawhi.

Edited by JayBirdHawk