• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's with all the negativity?

ATLiott

We just won 60 games and Bud is one of the best coaches in the league. We're light years better off than we were 3 years ago. Yet a large portion of what I'm reading sounds like doom and gloom. "No one wants to play here", "our roster is below average". Our roster is much better, and it's going to take more than one good season for free agents to want to come.

• Like 1

We just won 60 games and Bud is one of the best coaches in the league. We're light years better off than we were 3 years ago. Yet a large portion of what I'm reading sounds like doom and gloom. "No one wants to play here", "our roster is below average". Our roster is much better, and it's going to take more than one good season for free agents to want to come.

The team has made 8 playoff appearances in a row.

My guess is that FA's aren't convinced that the Hawks can top the Cavs... So, the Spurs get David West for the league min while the Hawks have to trade for minor pieces.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Exactly.   I think the real secret here is just what you said.   We are building a team for long term success.  We keep talking about the Spurs model but honestly it's closer to the Pistons in terms of acquiring talent.  We are putting ourselves at the top of the conference waiting to grab our Rasheed when the time comes.  If we could land a star by free agency or draft we would but that's not where we are right now.

• Moderators

My guess is that FA's aren't convinced that the Hawks can top the Cavs... So, the Spurs get David West for the league min while the Hawks have to trade for minor pieces.

Exactly but another year doing as well or better and that doubt will start to disappear.   And you never know how the playoff seeding and injuries shakes out.    Think about if Lebron got injured late in the season.  Who's the favorite to win the east then?

60 wins or not, this team was not the same in the 2nd half. 

• Like 2

And therein is WHY ive got numerous posts explaining that until the Hawks get REALLY serious and go after top tier free agents, or top tier players in a trade,  the club is still looked at as a good team, that isnt gonna win a chip.........Work a trade for boogie, do SOMETHING to let the NBA know you serious...............

I think Coach Bud can turn just about ANY player into a better player in his system. Why not get a superstar into that system??

Edited by atlhawks1

I not someone that posts a lot of negative things, but i will say that i don't give a rat's ass about 60 wins.
60 wins has never been a goal for me. 

Based on the way they played i the 2nd half , i woun't count on 60 this season away. It seems that other teams started to figure them
out after the 2nd or 3rd time playing them

The number i do care about is 16
16 wins in the playoffs = Championship.
Talent wise i don't think the Hawks can beat the Cavs , Spurs, or Warriors with the current roster
Yes we have Coach Bud , Kerr,  POP, and Lebron James and his assisant coach Blatt are just as good.

I not someone that posts a lot of negative things, but i will say that i don't give a rat's ass about 60 wins.

60 wins has never been a goal for me. 

Based on the way they played i the 2nd half , i woun't count on 60 this season away. It seems that other teams started to figure them

out after the 2nd or 3rd time playing them

The number i do care about is 16

16 wins in the playoffs = Championship.

Talent wise i don't think the Hawks can beat the Cavs , Spurs, or Warriors with the current roster

Yes we have Coach Bud , Kerr,  POP, and Lebron James and his assisant coach Blatt are just as good.

Ha, for someone who doesn't post a lot of negativity, you sure hit all the salient points.

I don't think anyone is saying that 60 wins or regular-season success is or should be the goal.  That said, 60 wins is a great accomplishment and it's something we as fans should be happy about.  It shouldn't be looked at as some empty number because it's not.  60 wins are why we were in the enviable position we were in as a #1 seed.  Did we ultimately take advantage of it?  No, but there were many reasons why we did not.

I don't think it's as simple as to say that the late-season slowdown was somehow people "figuring us out".  The facts that we had injuries and we were resting guys should be considered.  Now, was it a wise strategy to rest guys?  I don't think so.  However, I don't think we should sit back and act like it wasn't happening when we access the team's performance down the stretch.

Will we win at that level again this upcoming season?  I think we'll be in that stratosphere and, if we're to get those elusive 16 playoff wins, we'll need to win at that level in the regular season.

Lastly, no LeighBron and his assistant aren't better coaches than Bud.  Kerr may or may not be.  He certainly has a better roster from top to bottom.  I have a feeling that means a lot (duh).  Budz learned from Pop who also has a better, more complete roster so of course Pop gets the nod there.

• Moderators

In 2 years the Hawks regular season ticket sales jumper by almost 200,000

• We had the largest increase in attendance in the NBA and sold out Philips Arena 32 of the last 35 games.
  • We won a franchise-best 60 games, captured the Division Championship for the first time in 21 years and advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in Atlanta history.
  • We had four players named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team - the most ever in club history.
  • We witnessed Mike Budenholzer named NBA Coach of the Year in just his second season at the helm.
  • We finished the month of January with a perfect 17-0 record, the most wins in an undefeated month in NBA history, earning our entire starting five the Eastern Conference Player of the Month honors.
  • We achieved record broadcast ratings on both television and radio, including the top 5 most-watched Hawks basketball games in club history.
  • We created an awe-inspiring and imposing home court environment, with an Eastern Conference-best 35-6 record at home.

These things matter.   Attendance, money, tv matters.   These are the things that build a franchise to the point of attracting top talent.  To say that 60 wins doesn't mean anything is dead wrong.   The number one seed and the legit hope of a championship is what you play for.   We fell short but this was in effect year three of a process.   Year three of the BK era we won 26 games.   

• Like 4

It's mostly the same people who were saying last offseason: "This team sucks", "This team will be lucky to make the playoffs", "This team has no chance at the 2nd round, much less the ECF", "Everyone in the East is passing us by", etc. Then we proceed to have the best season in franchise history and you'd think those people who were so very wrong would enjoy watching their favorite team exceed their wildest expectations, right? Nope. They either went totally M.I.A. or they found small things to complain about the entire way. Every loss they'd pump out those negative posts, every losing streak they'd go back to saying we probably wouldn't win a series in the playoffs. 

All you can do is laugh or feel sorry for them. There's no point in trying to talk to them. They will never be happy. 

• Like 3

It's mostly the same people who were saying last offseason: "This team sucks", "This team will be lucky to make the playoffs", "This team has no chance at the 2nd round, much less the ECF", "Everyone in the East is passing us by", etc. Then we proceed to have the best season in franchise history and you'd think those people who were so very wrong would enjoy watching their favorite team exceed their wildest expectations, right? Nope. They either went totally M.I.A. or they found small things to complain about the entire way. Every loss they'd pump out those negative posts, every losing streak they'd go back to saying we probably wouldn't win a series in the playoffs. 

All you can do is laugh or feel sorry for them. There's no point in trying to talk to them. They will never be happy. 

I coined them "The Miserable Ones".....

We are bringing back all 4 All-Stars from last season, and Jeff Teague has the potential to make another leap in his game and is probably the most feared player in our lineup.

We have improved our big rotation with the addition of Splitter

We have added athleticism and scoring with the addition of TH jr albeit at the expense of size and defense on the wing. We will see how that effects us overall.

Also key players like Dennis, Bazemore, Scott and Moose are now becoming vets and entering their prime years and should be playing with way more confidence after contributing on our deep playoff run.

Lastly we bring back our true MVP, coach Bud, which should not be discounted or overlooked.

Things definately are looking good for us. We just need to make sure we can continue to defend at a high level. I kept saying last season and it showed whenever we were without Thabo but DEFENSE was the real reason we went on our unddfeated run. Defense was the reason we dominated opponents and had them off balanced and confused. Last off seasons focus was to improve our perimeter D and we went out and acquired 2 defenders that are both still on the roster. We lost DMC so I would hope we find a guy that could replace him as a defender. But even if we dont Bud will have to continue to focus on and emphasize our D. If we defend at a high level we can continue to dominate teams next year. If we cant we will be good but not great like we were to open and close the year.