• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague Time?

enrique

Here is a fine article comparing Teague with the other PGs in the league.

https://atlallday.com/2015/07/15/jeff-teague-top-10-nba-point-guard/

Jeff Teague: Top 10 NBA Point Guard?

by John Buhler 6h ago

Atlanta Hawks Starting Point Guard is coming off his best season as a professional. Teague earned his first selection to the NBA All-Star Game and led the 2014-15 Atlanta Hawks to the team’s first ever appearance in the Eastern Conference Finals. In two years under Head Coach Mike Budenholzer’s player development system, Teague has become a master of Bud’s heavy-ball movement, read-and-react offense as the floor general for an elite team in the East.

Last season brought an unprecedented level of excitement to an organization long-forgotten by the media on a national landscape. The rise of Jeff Teague to national prominence as a household name was a major reason for the 2014-15 Atlanta Hawks’ success. While Jeff can most definitely get back to the 2016 NBA All-Star Game in Toronto this upcoming season, is Teague now a Top 10 point guard in the National Basketball Association?

May 15, 2015; Washington, DC, USA; Atlanta Hawks guard Jeff Teague (0) shoots as Washington Wizards guard Bradley Beal (3) defends during the first half in game six of the second round of the NBA Playoffs at Verizon Center. Mandatory Credit: Brad Mills-USA TODAY Sports

Even thought Top 10 or even Top Half doesn’t sound all that impressive, this era of NBA basketball is point guard driven. Just about any team that has serious title contending thoughts must have strong play from their point guard or at least a shooting guard that can distribute (i.e. James Harden of the Houston Rockets). So even if Jeff Teague is just a Top Half Starting PG heading into 2015-16, that shouldn’t make Atlanta Hawks’ fans worry about where their point guard falls in the pecking order of NBA PGs. We’re in a golden age of floor generals if you ask me.

The best way to attack this idea of essentially power ranking NBA point guards is to look at where Jeff Teague would fall in the six divisions in the NBA. If we stay in the Southeast, I would say that Teague is more polished than Orlando’s Victor Oladipo, more consistent than Charlotte’s Kemba Walker, and a more proven winner than Miami’s Goran Dragic. To me in the Southeast it’s between Teague and Washington’s John Wall. Given that Wall is a former number one overall pick and the face of the Wizards franchise, I’d give John Wall a slight edge over Teague on the national landscape. Most teams would be happy with either All-Star point guard.

To me the main challenger for Jeff Teague coming out of the Atlantic is Toronto’s Kyle Lowry. Lowry won the fan vote in the 2015 All-Star game as part of a very talented Raptors back court. When Teague and Lowry square off, they both are scrapping to get an edge over the other since it is such a close matchup. What sets Jeff Teague and Kyle Lowry apart is that Teague seems to have an extra gear offensively (Teague Time!) where Toronto needs to rely more on SG DeMar Derozan’s scoring than Lowry’s to get the Raps over the top in a close game. It’s close but I’ll take Jeff Teague over any point guard in the Atlantic Division.

The Central is a bit more interesting. I can’t say with confidence that Jeff Teague is better than Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving. Kyrie has arguably the best handle of the basketball of anybody in the Association. Milwaukee’s Michael Carter-Williams is not a proven shooter, Indiana’s George Hill turns the ball over too much for my liking, and Detroit’s PG duo of Brandon Jennings and Reggie Jackson haven’t won enough to prove to me their leadership qualities as floor general.

MORE FROM ATL ALL DAY

Richard Smith: Who Is The Falcons’ New DC?1h ago

Atlanta Braves: Five Second Half Predictions2h ago

Georgia Bulldogs: Five Potential College GameDay Scenarios11h ago

Mallex Smith: The Atlanta Braves Speediest Prospect23h ago

Atlanta Hawks: Summer League Game 3 Impressions1d ago

The biggest challenger for Jeff Teague out of the Central is Chicago’s Derrick Rose. Before his ever-growing myriad of injuries, there was no doubt in my mind that D-Rose was a Top 5 player in the NBA. Though he had a relatively healthy 2014-15, Rose’s inability to stay on the court for the Bulls the last four seasons has led to many talented PGs to surpass him on the league’s hierarchy. The best ability is availability, something Rose just doesn’t have enough of to put him in the Top 5 any more. Again this is close, but I’ll take Teague’s reliability over Rose’s big ifs at this stage of the his career.

So in the Eastern Conference, I would say with great confidence that Jeff Teague is a Top 3 or 4 point guard, with only Kyrie Irving undoubtedly ahead of him. He’s Top 5 in the East without question. I just so happen to think he’s the third best behind Irving and Wall heading into 2015-16.

And then there’s the behemoth that is the Western Conference where there are so many deep and talented teams. Teague actually matches up favorably in the Southwest if you really think about it. I like Teague over Jrue Holliday and Tyreke Evans in New Orleans. Houston’s star PG is actually All-World SG James Harden. Dallas is a mess at the one. And Teague might actually be slightly better than San Antonio’s Tony Parker at this stage of their respective careers.

To me, the biggest challenger coming out of the Southwest for Jeff Teague is Memphis’ Mike Conley. I love Iron Mike Conley. While he’s fantastic for the Grizz, part of me wishes that Memphis played in the East so that Atlanta and Memphis could become geographical rivals. The Dirty South rivalry. Conley has not been an All-Star before but he certainly is a household name as the primary ball handler for the Grit N’ Grind Grizzlies. Of all the point guard comparisons in the NBA for Jeff Teague, Conley is the toughest. Honestly, you could make the case for either and there isn’t in my mind a clear separation between Jeff Teague and Mike Conley at this time.

Fansided Daily

FanSided Daily brings you the hottest content on your favorite teams. Sign up today.

Looking at the Northwest, Russell Westbrook is amazing and his tenacity at the PG for the Oklahoma City Thunder feels unrivaled. Minnesota’s Ricky Rubio is good but rarely healthy. Utah is still figuring out the floor general. And Denver’s Ty Lawson can’t stop getting in trouble with the law. The biggest threat for Teague out of the Northwest is Portland’s Damian Lillard.

It stinks that the Lillard-Aldridge duo is no more in the Rose City as LaMarcus Aldridge signed with the San Antonio Spurs this offseason. Though I love Dame’s free-spirited yet effective assists with the basketball, he is a glorified matador on defense. Jeff Teague is a constant threat to pickpocket opposing point guards and rebounds well for a one. Basketball is more than just offense and Jeff Teague is the more complete player over Damian Lillard heading into 2016.

And finally, where would Jeff Teague fit into the pecking order in the Pacific? All say it now, Golden State’s Stephen Curry and Los Angeles’ Chris Paul are better than Jeff Teague currently. I would say that Paul is a bit closer to Teague than Curry on the pecking order since Paul’s Clippers can’t seem to get out of the Western Semis. Plus, Jeff normally gives CP3 fits in Hawks-Clippers games. On a national landscape Paul appears better but Jeff Teague isn’t all that far off especially when you see these two teams in action.

MORE FROM HAWKS

7/14 - Atlanta Hawks: Summer League Game 3 Impressions

7/13 - Atlanta Hawks: Summer League Game 2 Impressions

7/13 - Atlanta Hawks: Who Makes The 2016 All-Star Team?

7/12 - Thabo Sefolosha: The Atlanta Hawks X-Factor

7/12 - Atlanta Hawks: Will Team Rebounding Improve In 2016?

I do like the tandem of PGs Phoenix has in Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight. Both are certainly capable of making All-Star Games for the Suns and elevate their stock in the Valley of the Sun for HC Jeff Hornacek. Teague benefits from playing in the East, whereas Bledsoe and Knight are often overlooked in the West. Both Bledsoe and Knight are solid options at the point for the Suns, but I’m taking Jeff Teague in 2016.

So on the national picture I would put a handful of guys ahead of Jeff Teague in the PG pecking order: Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Chris Paul, Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook. So no, Teague isn’t a Top 5 Point Guard at this time. But he’s in that second tier with Kyle Lowry, Derrick Rose, Mike Conley, Damian Lillard, and Tony Parker. I don’t see Jeff Teague as a worse option than all of those five. At best, Teague is 6th at worst he’s 11th. I’m going to roughly split the difference here and say that Jeff Teague is the NBA’s 8th best PG heading into 2015-16.

Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix.

Enter your email and stay in the know.

FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology[emoji767] 2015 Fansided, LLC. All rights reserved.

• Like 1

We've done these comparisons about 75 times, but it's always fun.

I hate CP3 and have taken great pride in watching Jeff get the best of him head-to-head throughout his career. Half of me would love to see Westbrook in a Hawks uni, the other half wants to fight the former half. Realistically and ideally, I'd trade Conley for Jeff straight up yesterday.

And Steph Curry is not a PG. Try a deity.

I see Damian Lillard in a tier above Jeff Teague.

Eeh, depends on what you're trying to do. At this point in their careers, you'd win more with Jeff, sell more tickets with Lilliard. Jeff's defense can be good, many times Lilliard is poor. We exploited Portland's entire defense through him late in both our wins last season.

Now in a rap battle, I'm taking Lilliard over most rappers, let alone NBAers.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Simple question, if you were offered a straight Lillard for Teague trade, you wouldn't take the deal? Saying Jeff is a top 3 or so East PG. I would say Lillard would be the #1 East PG if he was traded.

Edited by RWF

Simple question, if you were offered a straight Lillard for Teague trade, you wouldn't take the deal? Saying Jeff is a top 3 or so East PG. I would say Lillard would be the #1 East PG if he was traded.

For reasons benhillboy already stated, flat out NO. And no, Lillard would still be behind Irving and Wall in the East. He is a poor defender, and is extremely moody. He's a better scorer than Jeff, but that's the only area Jeff doesn't have the edge on him.

I'd take Lillard over Teague for sure...More decisive, better outside shooter and younger. I think Lillard breaks out this year. Oh, he's also mentally tougher, Teague gets down on himself way too much.

• Premium Member

It is funny, people still think I hate Teague but I'll repeat what I said before: Teague has the best non rookie contract in the entire NBA. It is insane how cheaply he is paid relative to his worth on the court.

• Like 2

I'm not taking Lillard over Teague. 

Lillard is the definition of all flash and no substance.  Outside of making a couple of clutch shots, he is an inefficient chucker who is a complete liability on defense.  Portland would regularly mix up their defensive assignments and have Mathews or Batum guard the PG while Lillard was hidden on the weakest link on offense.

I remember the game this year where Lillard didn't make the all-star game and he made instagram posts crying about being dissed and said he was going to come out with a vengeance.  Everybody was acting scared and thought Dame was about to go off on the Hawks that night.  Instead, he shoots 6/20 for 13 points with 11 assists 6 turnovers and went home with a L. 

• Like 1

I'm not taking Lillard over Teague.

Lillard is the definition of all flash and no substance. Outside of making a couple of clutch shots, he is an inefficient chucker who is a complete liability on defense. Portland would regularly mix up their defensive assignments and have Mathews or Batum guard the PG while Lillard was hidden on the weakest link on offense.

I remember the game this year where Lillard didn't make the all-star game and he made instagram posts crying about being dissed and said he was going to come out with a vengeance. Everybody was acting scared and thought Dame was about to go off on the Hawks that night. Instead, he shoots 6/20 for 13 points with 11 assists 6 turnovers and went home with a L.

It was only his second year. He's super young. Teague has been around since 09...I don't know, I'm just glad Lillard is not in the eastern conference. I think he's a top 5/6 pg right now.

It was only his second year. He's super young. Teague has been around since 09...I don't know, I'm just glad Lillard is not in the eastern conference. I think he's a top 5/6 pg right now.

You are crazy.  Lillard is about to get exposed this year imo.  That was Aldridge's team, not Lillard's. 

and Teague may have been around since 09 but let's not act like he was given free reign to do what he wants like Lillard was.  Teague has only been a starter for 4 years and he is only 2 years older than Lillard.  I would rather have a general (Teague, good defense, good playmaking, good scoring when needed) than a heroball type of guy at pg unless it's Westbrook.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 2

• Moderators

You are crazy.  Lillard is about to get exposed this year imo.  That was Aldridge's team, not Lillard's. 

and Teague may have been around since 09 but let's not act like he was given free reign to do what he wants like Lillard was.  Teague has only been a starter for 4 years and he is only 2 years older than Lillard.  I would rather have a general (Teague, good defense, good playmaking, good scoring when needed) than a heroball type of guy at pg unless it's Westbrook.

And we were complaining about Teague's D just a couple years ago.   The guy has stepped up his game big time.

• Like 1

You are crazy. Lillard is about to get exposed this year imo. That was Aldridge's team, not Lillard's.

and Teague may have been around since 09 but let's not act like he was given free reign to do what he wants like Lillard was. Teague has only been a starter for 4 years and he is only 2 years older than Lillard. I would rather have a general (Teague, good defense, good playmaking, good scoring when needed) than a heroball type of guy at pg unless it's Westbrook.

I definitely think Portland takes a step back in wins this year for sure, any franchise would losing a guy like Aldridge. But the odds have been against Lillard in every situation in college and the pros and he keeps rising up to the challenge. I agree that his defense needs to improve, but I don't think team's #1 game plan is to attack Lillard on D, he can hold his own on D, it's just not elite. He has a chance to be an all star this year in a conference that's loaded with good point guards.

I do agree that he was a baby in not getting selected to last year's all star game. He came out immature with the Twitter stuff.

I definitely think Portland takes a step back in wins this year for sure, any franchise would losing a guy like Aldridge. But the odds have been against Lillard in every situation in college and the pros and he keeps rising up to the challenge. I agree that his defense needs to improve, but I don't think team's #1 game plan is to attack Lillard on D, he can hold his own on D, it's just not elite. He has a chance to be an all star this year in a conference that's loaded with good point guards.

I do agree that he was a baby in not getting selected to last year's all star game. He came out immature with the Twitter stuff.

He may make the all-star game but it will be because of a ridiculous usage % and taking a ton of shots which leads to gaudy numbers while losing a ton of games. 

With that said, Lillard is still a quality player.  I just wouldn't take him over Teague or give him a 120+ million dollar contract.

He may make the all-star game but it will be because of a ridiculous usage % and taking a ton of shots which leads to gaudy numbers while losing a ton of games.

With that said, Lillard is still a quality player. I just wouldn't take him over Teague or give him a 120+ million dollar contract.

The contract does seem like a lot, but it seems like there are a lot of bad contracts out there. Just look at Kanter at 70 mill. I'll be interested to see if Lillard can improve on his FG% this year, it'll be tough without Lamarcus. I think overall as much as I love Teague, I'd trade him for Lillard right now, on clutch time alone. This season, I want Teague to carry us if we are down in the playoffs, put us on his back for a game or 2, and just be an alpha out there. I don't want him to fade away if we are fading as a team in big moments.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"

Also, remember the old advertisement:  "My dog is better than your dog!"

When considering all the Point Guards in the NBA, what is the measuring stick

that we are to use to see which is better or worse than ours?

One of the great things, I would think, is how many team wins were the players

in question involved in?  The PG position is much like the QB position in the NFL.

If your team is going to win, then you must have a good one.

Another thing to consider.  How much does he cost?  Is the team getting their

money's worth with this player?  How does his winning % and his payroll compare?

Finally, is he a team player?  What do all the other players on the team think of him?

Does he mix well with the coaching staff and the fans?

I gotta believe that our combination of Dennis the Menance and Jeff Teague are

somewhere close to the top of any combination in the NBA.  Sure, I'm a homer.

But, until someone proves me wrong, I'll continue to believe!

to_keep_order.gif

• Like 1