• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Player measurements spreadsheet

RandomFan

Some thoughts:

• All of our PG's have pretty much the same wingspan
  • Mack with the beastmode max vert!
  • Bazemore and Holiday with those impressive wingspans for defense
  • But Seolosha's wingspan - WHOA!!! Ridiculous.
  • Korver and Millsap are the exact same height. That's hilarious. Also sad, but mostly hilarious.
  • Millsap's wingspan though! Almost as wide as Thabo, and only a 1/4 inch taller.
  • Horford not even a legit 6' 9"
  • Edy is our tallest player by nearly 4 inches. He's a freak.

Out of curiosity, DMC's measurements =

Height - 6' 6.25"

Wingspan 6' 10"

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

Looks like it. Also Horford with the impressive vert for a big man.

Could it be that Mack's vertical is 29 and not 39...lol..misprint maybe? The guy doesn't jump high in games and never dunks the ball.

Wow - there is a height inflation scandal in the NBA.  How tall is LeBron really?   Makes me wonder if any of the NBA all time greats were as tall as claimed.  Wilt? Jabbar? Ruessl? (Of did they just start lying about size and using elevator shoes in the recent times.)

Wow - there is a height inflation scandal in the NBA.  How tall is LeBron really?   Makes me wonder if any of the NBA all time greats were as tall as claimed.  Wilt? Jabbar? Ruessl? (Of did they just start lying about size and using elevator shoes in the recent times.)

All about the shoes...

This just makes me question why can't Millsap play SF again? He has just about the same measurements as they do. I want to see more Paul Millsap at wing.

I think you want this for dynasty versatility purposes ;-)

I know close to nothing about physiology of human beings and what the average ratio between height and wingspan is for the general population. It seems clear that in the NBA, this ratio is going to be different. It's also the case that if wingspan is an important characteristic for basketball players and the NBA uses wingspan as a selection criteria, then performance and wingspan are going to be fairly uncorrelated. So by looking at the NBA, it would appear that wingspan isn't important. About the same type of funky result happens if you think about height. Height is clearly an important factor getting to the NBA, but once in the NBA the correlation between height and scoring is meh. Kind of weak from what I recall seeing. It's a cool phenomenon called Berkson's Paradox.

Here's some background for what I am referring to and in order of complexity:

https://scatter.wordpress.com/2014/12/30/selection/

https://scatter.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/that-nba-example/

https://scatter.wordpress.com/2015/01/03/beckieball-and-the-study-of-not-quite-elite-selected-groups/

This just makes me question why can't Millsap play SF again? He has just about the same measurements as they do. I want to see more Paul Millsap at wing.

My thoughts eggzackly. At 6'8 in shoes with a 7'2 wingspan and a decent 3-pointer, if JJ and Pierce can play 3 so can Sap.

It is really about quickness and stamina.  Sap can't handle big minutes at the 3 chasing people around screens over 82 games.  He is built more like a tank than a lean wing.  JJ and Pierce were quicker in their prime.  Pierce can barely play SF now, though, for much the same reason.  He is more a spread PF at this point in his career.

I don't think there is any chance you'll see Sap playing a regular significant role at SF barring some disastrous series of injuries for our team.

Not to mention the ball handling, agility, etc. 

Millsap is a tweener but he's big, strong and long enough to get away with it and @hawksfanatic, wingspan is major especially in regards to defense. 

Standing reach is vital for a big but if he's strong, smart and quick with his hands, he can still cause issues on the defensive end. 

Edited by NBASupes