• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PeachtreeHoops podcast: Phil Jackson offers Melo for Paul Millsap

NBASupes

For those of you saying that Melo "could" or "would" be a team player is laughable....LAUGHABLE-Jesus on Big Lebowski. That is like saying a pig could possibly fly. You know, might need to lose a lil weight, get in shape a bit, go on a sensible diet. Stop it! Phil Jackson thinks we are the old Hawks, if this was really offered I'd get on the phone right away and tell him and Jeanie Buss that that $hit don't work here anymore and to take another trip to Montana to clear their heads about what complete morons they are to sign Melo and Kobe. We don't want any part of it.

What do you call the 08-09 season then?  Melo has an above average point guard for the first time in his life (Billups) and he attempts the lowest amount of shots per game since his second year in the league.  He allows Billups to run the offense and they make it to the WCFs behind Melo's 27 points per game. 

Like every one else, I'm not fond of his comments against the Hawks or his history of chasing the money; however, his talent is undeniable and he could get us over the hump.  Does it come without risk? Of course not but most rewards come with inherent risks.

• Like 1

This is how i look at it. As a PLAYER, no, i would rather keep Milsap over Melo. For long term reasons, Melo would be a good fit.............FOR THIS REASON.................Other premium free agents would look at that move as a reason to come to Atlanta. Suddenly, i see a 2016 free agent like Joakim Noah maybe replacing Al Horford. I see something SIMILAR to this. With this type of lineup, Noah and Splitter would be the dedicated rebounders, and Melo and Hardaway the scorers.....

c Noah

pf Splitter

sf Melo

sg Hardaway

pg Teague

Edited by atlhawks1

This is how i look at it. As a PLAYER, no, i would rather keep Milsap over Melo. For long term reasons, Melo would be a good fit.............FOR THIS REASON.................Other premium free agents would look at that move as a reason to come to Atlanta. Suddenly, i see a 2016 free agent like Joakim Noah maybe replacing Al Horford. I see something SIMILAR to this. With this type of lineup, Noah and Splitter would be the dedicated rebounders, and Melo and Hardaway the scorers.....

c Noah

pf Splitter

sf Melo

sg Hardaway

pg Teague

Horford >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Noah individually and especially when paired with Splitter.

• Like 4

c Noah

pf Splitter

sf Melo

sg Hardaway

pg Teague

Lol. I'm all for trading one of our PGs for Melo but this is a little crazy

• Premium Member

There was once a time I thought he would be perfect for the Hawks. Maybe as recently as the summer we hired Bud. His lady is from Atlanta and I thought he could embrace the city and be our superstar.

Yada yada yada....he has said negative about our origination to the media. He has been on some horrible teams and doesn't seem to care to make them better. He took a season off (okay I don't know how bad the "injury" was but he did play in the all star game). I can't think of anything he has done that would make you feel like he would fit with any "positive basketball" culture.

He's a talent, no denying that. I just don't want him here unless he first said some things to make us think he's a smarter/wiser player. If we take a chance on a guy with injuries, let's shoot for KD. At least he might care to be here.

Edited by cam1218

What do you call the 08-09 season then? Melo has an above average point guard for the first time in his life (Billups) and he attempts the lowest amount of shots per game since his second year in the league. He allows Billups to run the offense and they make it to the WCFs behind Melo's 27 points per game.

Like every one else, I'm not fond of his comments against the Hawks or his history of chasing the money; however, his talent is undeniable and he could get us over the hump. Does it come without risk? Of course not but most rewards come with inherent risks.

He did have that one or two good years in Denver but the guy is an established chucker. He doesn't care about any team concept, he just jacks shots up. That seems very anti Hawks philosophy to me. I like Millsap much better.

• Premium Member

After what he said absolutely not...

okay maybe.

I lol'd...  Interesting point though, I had forgot all about his comments.

Melo?  Here?  

I'm not even sure if I have an opinion considering how $fasd#as%1324$lcasdf;dfj;als df()(*&j a;ls_)()(*)8djf!!!!la;laj;lsdj;flajsk;dlfadsj;lfasjf;l last year turned out.  If you'd have asked me this a couple of years ago I'd have said...

"We need a superstar and Carmelo Anthony [5000 fuggin' words later] OMG are you kidding?  Do this nao!"

Today I'm mildly intrigued and I'm like..."Let me just see if this shit actually happens and keep my wretched mouth shut."

• Like 1

Man this is a hard one! Would I do this deal if I'm bud? I don't know!....Let's break it down:

Who's better offensively?

Melo end of discussion.

Who's better defensively?

Sap end of discussion.

Does Melo offense impact the game more than Saps all around overall play?

I say yes ....even though melo isn't a great defender I would say Melos offensive talent when healthy certainly outweighs Sap. In other words if sap is having his best game and Melo is having his best game, melo has more impact on the opponent with his elite offensive ability.

Can melo buy into buds offense scheme?

Unfortunately due to history I have to say no but because I have a lot of faith in coach Bud there's a possibility that he may actually change if his true desire is to be a champion.

Will melo hurt our defense?

Yes if we are getting the no effort melo which is usually what he brings to the table. I've seen melo play defense well before but that was when the nuggets played the lakers in the WCF.

As a hawks fan do you truly believe we can continue to go without a superstar and expect to win?

Honestly NO....I love the Hawks but NBA history is proven in ALL eras! Non superstar teams don't win rings. Yes Detroit was amazing in 04 but that's exactly why we haven't seen another team do what they did in 04...because that shit is hard to do.

Here's the thing I know Sap is the better overall player but Sap doesn't have Melos elite offense ability which is the only reason Melo is considered a star! Would melo hurt us defensively? Yes but there's also a high reward if bud can get melo to buy into the his system. Man I know melo has bad things said about him but I'm going to be real would I take him over sap? YES but am I worried about him not working YES but if I don't do this do I truly believe the Hawks have legit championship opportunity with the team concept? No...I'm sorry but I believe the Hawks will lose in the ECF against Lebron again and I'm not saying melo would beat Lebron in a ECF but I think Melos gives us much better opportunity.....so YES IM TAKING THE MELO RISK IF IM BUD AT THE END OF THE DAY ONLY BECAUSE THE RISK ISNT JUST HIGH ITS VERY HIGH!

Edited by JTB

• Admin

What do you call the 08-09 season then?  Melo has an above average point guard for the first time in his life (Billups) and he attempts the lowest amount of shots per game since his second year in the league.  He allows Billups to run the offense and they make it to the WCFs behind Melo's 27 points per game. 

Like every one else, I'm not fond of his comments against the Hawks or his history of chasing the money; however, his talent is undeniable and he could get us over the hump.  Does it come without risk? Of course not but most rewards come with inherent risks.

that was 7 years ago ... This is a much more battered beaten up broken down version of that player ....

He did have that one or two good years in Denver but the guy is an established chucker. He doesn't care about any team concept, he just jacks shots up. That seems very anti Hawks philosophy to me. I like Millsap much better.

One or two good years? You are letting your hate cloud reality.

that was 7 years ago ... This is a much more battered beaten up broken down version of that player ....

OK.  He is only 3 years removed from taking a NYK squad full of scrubs to 54 wins and the second round with a laundry list of team injuries and a 40 year old PG.

I agree that his mileage and recent injuries are a concern.  That's why it would depend on how he looks in the first half of next season.  I'm not worried about his age as much when it comes to athleticism since his playing style will allow him to remain elite offensively while his athleticism slowly fades.  

Take a look at his 2013-14 shot chart and tell me he couldn't greatly benefit this team.  He can score from every spot on the floor and he is equally good from both sides of the basket.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/06/23/carmelo-anthony-has-plenty-to-offer-in-free-agency/

Man this is a hard one! Would I do this deal if I'm bud? I don't know!....Let's break it down:

Who's better offensively?

Melo end of discussion.

Who's better defensively?

Sap end of discussion.

Does Melo offense impact the game more than Saps all around overall play?

I say yes ....even though melo isn't a great defender I would say Melos offensive talent when healthy certainly outweighs Sap. In other words if sap is having his best game and Melo is having his best game, melo has more impact on the opponent with his elite offensive ability.

Can melo buy into buds offense scheme?

Unfortunately due to history I have to say no but because I have a lot of faith in coach Bud there's a possibility that he may actually change if his true desire is to be a champion.

Will melo hurt our defense?

Yes if we are getting the no effort melo which is usually what he brings to the table. I've seen melo play defense well before but that was when the nuggets played the lakers in the WCF.

As a hawks fan do you truly believe we can continue to go without a superstar and expect to win?

Honestly NO....I love the Hawks but NBA history is proven in ALL eras! Non superstar teams don't win rings. Yes Detroit was amazing in 04 but that's exactly why we haven't seen another team do what they did in 04...because that shit is hard to do.

Here's the thing I know Sap is the better overall player but Sap doesn't have Melos elite offense ability which is the only reason Melo is considered a star! Would melo hurt us defensively? Yes but there's also a high reward if bud can get melo to buy into the his system. Man I know melo has bad things said about him but I'm going to be real would I take him over sap? YES but am I worried about him not working YES but if I don't do this do I truly believe the Hawks have legit championship opportunity with the team concept? No...I'm sorry but I believe the Hawks will lose in the ECF against Lebron again and I'm not saying melo would beat Lebron in a ECF but I think Melos gives us much better opportunity.....so YES IM TAKING THE MELO RISK IF IM BUD AT THE END OF THE DAY ONLY BECAUSE THE RISK ISNT JUST HIGH ITS VERY HIGH!

The gap between Melo and Sap is there, it's just that with Melo's style of play, his age and contract, is he worth trading Sap who while aging, has a game where he can play for awhile, so does Melo but Melo is more of a scorer.

One or two good years? You are letting your hate cloud reality.

I dunno bro. He doesn't lead his team's to anything. I think you may be overrating him because you picked him in the Dynasty draft this summer.

The gap between Melo and Sap is there, it's just that with Melo's style of play, his age and contract, is he worth trading Sap who while aging, has a game where he can play for awhile, so does Melo but Melo is more of a scorer.

Yeah man I definitely agree...but I will leave this one up to Bud I trust him if he tries to make the trade happen and if he denies it.

Also and this isn't directed to you supe but I think arguments between sap and melo are just plain silly. I would understand why Hawks fans would and would not want melo and that's just where I am on this one. doesn't matter if you like melo or not there clear advantages and disadvantages based on what we have seen over both melo and saps careers.....

But I say the best thing to do is to trust bud. But man as a hawks fan...its not every year we get a chance to grab a star however unfortunately dude has some flaws that are huge.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

I think I've figured out what makes me uneasy about Melo.

I don't see him as that proverbial leader. He will always be the best player, most talented etc. The way I see it when he was at his most successful he had leaders at PG to rally the troops so he could do his thing - score.

He just seems so much about self more so than ACTUALLY winning.

Can he play Bud ball for an entire season? He was already grumbling about the triangle. On Team USA he had to play that way for like maybe 10 games.

The comparison to Kobe about being selfish is bogus - we can all say without hesitation that Kobe WANTS to win, I'm not sure I can definitely say that about Melo.

I'm not foolish enough to discount what Melo can do offensively and with his rebounding in this offense. He'll give us that bonafide 'star', if the offense bogs down or in the last seconds of a shot he can take and make that shot. On defense it's all about his effort and if he feels like playing defense. It's the overall cost of doing the trade that bugs me too.

We'll be pretty much overhauling 3/5 of our starting line-up.

What I do know is Phil will be looking for more than just Millsap in any trade unless he just really wants to get rid of Melo. Crazy NY fans suggest Teague be included as well, haaaha! HELL NO!!!

NY Knicks fans:

I do understand the Melo love on this board to a degree but if we could swing Melo for say Milsap & Schröder I'm down with that.

I take.....

- Milsap is approximately 1-year younger than Melo and has had no significant knee surgery that I'm aware of (could be wrong)

- Milsap deal is 1 year less than Melo

- over the last 9 years (06-14) Milsap has avg. 76 games per year - missing 51 games in 9 seasons or 5.5 per year

- over the last 9 years (06-14) Melo has avg. 66 games per year - missing 145 games in 9 seasons or 16 per year.

- Schröder is a young/quick pg that can get into the paint 

- Melo is a better scorer but Milsap is superior in every other aspect of the game

- Milsap brings his lunch-pail to work and Melo brings his twitter account (It's me Me7o!)

Of course Hawks would need to add more. Schröder would be an example of someone else they would need to add.

I think I've figured out what makes me uneasy about Melo.

I don't see him as that proverbial leader. He will always be the best player, most talented etc. The way I see it when he was at his most successful he had leaders at PG to rally the troops so he could do his thing - score.

He just seems so much about self more so than ACTUALLY winning.

Can he play Bud ball for an entire season? He was already grumbling about the triangle. On Team USA he had to play that way for like maybe 10 games.

The comparison to Kobe about being selfish is bogus - we can all say without hesitation that Kobe WANTS to win, I'm not sure I can definitely say that about Melo.

I'm not foolish enough to discount what Melo can do offensively and with his rebounding in this offense. He'll give us that bonafide 'star', if the offense bogs down or in the last seconds of a shot he can take and make that shot. On defense it's all about his effort and if he feels like playing defense. It's the overall cost of doing the trade that bugs me too.

We'll be pretty much overhauling 3/5 of our starting line-up.

What I do know is Phil will be looking for more than just Millsap in any trade unless he just really wants to get rid of Melo. Crazy NY fans suggest Teague be included as well, haaaha! HELL NO!!!

If we were to base trade value off of his last NBA performance Knick fans would be lucky if the team offers a sign and traded Pero. I still get acid reflux thinking about everything surrounding his performance both in and outside of that All Star game.

The fact that a team with all the money in the world doesn't think they can build a contender around Melo should tell us all we need to know about whether we would want him.

Add that to the fact that Phil thinks he's not a fit for the triangle. Yeah, gives me pause.