• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

When will they ever learn?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Watched a little bit of NBATV the other day.   I caught the tail end of Isaiah Thomas' prediction.  When asked about the Hawks chances to get back to the ECF, he said 5%..??????

He went on to say that Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Miami and Toronto are better than us.

Like many Hawks fans, Isaiah believes in his heart that last year was a fluke and that we were lucky to be there.

I believe that injuries kept us out of the NBA championship game.

We will miss DMCthe-alltime-great however, I think that we will still be very good.  Maybe even better than last year.

When will they learn?

• Like 1

The Atlanta Hawks  =   The Rodney Dangerfield of the NBA.

We get no respect.  We all here on Hawksquawk know this to be true.  Just like the

law of gravity, it doesn't change.  Sometimes we are surprised that some actually

believe that Atlanta will make the playoffs again this season.  I'm sure others think

that, since we no longer have DMC, we will be a lottery team.

We, the Atlanta Hawks fans, know that we have a system, a coach and his staff who

are smart enough to implement this system and that we here know that this stuff works!

Last season, we were lucky enough to win 60 games.  Last season, we were good enough

to win 60 games.  Which ever way you look at it, this is what happened and there are

those who still refuse to believe.  This season, Atlanta will be lucky enough AND good

enough to battle every other team in the NBA from beginning to end in every game.

We all know that, when we say :  "I'm a believer!"  We are in the minority.  That's OK.

All you non believers will have to prove to me that I'm wrong and I don't think that

you can.

hi.gif

• Admin

You mean the guy who was probably one of the worst GMs in history (Billy King is giving him a good run)?  

The guy who screwed up the CBA?  

The guy who was an absolute terrible terrible coach?  

That is one guy's opinion that I would take the opposite view of.

Edited by capstone21
  • Like 3

it is the yearly chicago is going to be really good talking head noise, despite, new coach, fiberglass superstar, a wingman that closely resembles broccoli and a 40 year old pau gasol

Being honest one has to admit 35 year old Pau played a superb EuroBasket and is far from done yet... But Rose really seems to be made of glass.

But critics aren't wrong completely. They said we will suck against Bulls or Cavs in the Playoffs and we got swept!

Yes there have been some injuries but only one of our first six guys kept bis game in the Playoffs and he is gone now. Bud didn't make the right in game adjustments and made some really questionable substitutions in late game situations.

And yes we overachieved a bit. The LeBrons needed some time to fit and we Bad this one month where everything went the right way.

I hope Bud and players learned their lesson, the younger player will grow (I expect Dennis to make the next step and hope Bud manages to give him more playing time - also as the 2nd ballhandler because he has to learn to play better off the ball) and I really like the Splitter addition.

So I expext us to be in the mix for 2nd and 3rd Playoff spot. Far to early to predict Playoff success.

• Premium Member

Being honest one has to admit 35 year old Pau played a superb EuroBasket and is far from done yet... But Rose really seems to be made of glass.

But critics aren't wrong completely. They said we will suck against Bulls or Cavs in the Playoffs and we got swept!

Yes there have been some injuries but only one of our first six guys kept bis game in the Playoffs and he is gone now. Bud didn't make the right in game adjustments and made some really questionable substitutions in late game situations.

And yes we overachieved a bit. The LeBrons needed some time to fit and we Bad this one month where everything went the right way.

I hope Bud and players learned their lesson, the younger player will grow (I expect Dennis to make the next step and hope Bud manages to give him more playing time - also as the 2nd ballhandler because he has to learn to play better off the ball) and I really like the Splitter addition.

So I expext us to be in the mix for 2nd and 3rd Playoff spot. Far to early to predict Playoff success.

Don't misunderstand, we were swept.. but injuries played a very big role in that.

Had we not been injured:

1.  JR Smith would not have gone off in game one.

2.  Our three point shooting would have been too much of a threat for them to fall back into the paint.

3.  Horf and Sap would have dominated the midrange and inside game.

The Cavs were gifted their visit to lose in the finals.

• Admin

We got killed by Tristan THompson inside and on the boards.   We had no awnswer for him.  Maybe this year with a little size we can stop that. 

Yes, rebounding was the ultimate problem as well as interior d from our bench especially.  

it is the yearly chicago is going to be really good talking head noise, despite, new coach, fiberglass superstar, a wingman that closely resembles broccoli and a 40 year old pau gasol

Indeed.  Not to mention the clear issues between Butler and Rose.

Regarding Hoiberg, not sure they realize what Kerr did was unprecedented and really a historically unequaled accomplishment as a 1st time HC.  The notion that Hoiberg will saunter in and be an upgrade over a guy who was widely considered one of the best in the game is comical at best.  The notion that he'll walk in and duplicate what Kerr did (which is what they're expecting) is flat out ridiculous.

They somehow think, "Welp, the defense is there alls Fred has to do is run-n-gun on the offensive end and we're fine".  Uh, Thibs could barely get them to play D consistently.  You can him and expect them to just magically retain the defensive principles they played with 2-3 years ago ... but under a different coach?  How does that make sense?  Especially when you consider the main cog in that defense, Noah, is a shell of his former self.  On top of that, his running mate is an aging, defense-challenged Gasol brother.

And yes, @rd79, Pau certainly had an excellent EuroBasket but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  That's the equivalent of him dominating a slightly better version of the DLeague.  No, I'm not disparaging foreign players.  I'm merely stating that the Gasols, Dirks and Ginobilis of the world are still few and far between.  Maybe calling it DLeague-esque was too far but the point I'm making is that it's at a step down from the NBA.  That plus the wear and tear of going through that tournament will pay something other than dividends by the time the playoffs start.

Lastly, am I crazy or does this Rose orbital fracture story smell a little fishy?  Gibson kinda claims to be the one to hit him but nobody else even says they saw it happen.  They just saw him on the ground or some other cryptic response.  My tinfoil hat says Rose got decked by a teammate on purpose.  Hey, if they're circling the wagons and don't want to talk about it that would be fine.  But don't insult people's intelligence by suggesting no one really saw what happened.

Indeed.  Not to mention the clear issues between Butler and Rose.

Regarding Hoiberg, not sure they realize what Kerr did was unprecedented and really a historically unequaled accomplishment as a 1st time HC.  The notion that Hoiberg will saunter in and be an upgrade over a guy who was widely considered one of the best in the game is comical at best.  The notion that he'll walk in and duplicate what Kerr did (which is what they're expecting) is flat out ridiculous.

They somehow think, "Welp, the defense is there alls Fred has to do is run-n-gun on the offensive end and we're fine".  Uh, Thibs could barely get them to play D consistently.  You can him and expect them to just magically retain the defensive principles they played with 2-3 years ago ... but under a different coach?  How does that make sense?  Especially when you consider the main cog in that defense, Noah, is a shell of his former self.  On top of that, his running mate is an aging, defense-challenged Gasol brother.

And yes, @rd79, Pau certainly had an excellent EuroBasket but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  That's the equivalent of him dominating a slightly better version of the DLeague.  No, I'm not disparaging foreign players.  I'm merely stating that the Gasols, Dirks and Ginobilis of the world are still few and far between.  Maybe calling it DLeague-esque was too far but the point I'm making is that it's at a step down from the NBA.  That plus the wear and tear of going through that tournament will pay something other than dividends by the time the playoffs start.

Lastly, am I crazy or does this Rose orbital fracture story smell a little fishy?  Gibson kinda claims to be the one to hit him but nobody else even says they saw it happen.  They just saw him on the ground or some other cryptic response.  My tinfoil hat says Rose got decked by a teammate on purpose.  Hey, if they're circling the wagons and don't want to talk about it that would be fine.  But don't insult people's intelligence by suggesting no one really saw what happened.

Kerr also had Alvin Gentry and Ron Adams on the bench.  Gentry was responsible for their offense and Adams is no slouch.

Cleveland gets all the east love in the media but Chicago is not far behind.

I don't get it.  What about that aging, fragile, and overplayed crew tells you they can make it all the way?  I'll hold off on the overplayed bit with a new coach but I just don't see enough offensive firepower to push them through late in the season.

Watched a little bit of NBATV the other day.   I caught the tail end of Isaiah Thomas' prediction.  When asked about the Hawks chances to get back to the ECF, he said 5%..??????

He went on to say that Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Miami and Toronto are better than us.

Like many Hawks fans, Isaiah believes in his heart that last year was a fluke and that we were lucky to be there.

I believe that injuries kept us out of the NBA championship game.

We will miss DMCthe-alltime-great however, I think that we will still be very good.  Maybe even better than last year.

When will they learn?

I'd say CLE is better. Not sure about CHI, have to see how their front court is and how the team buys into Hoiberg, Miami (depends on if Wade, Bosh is healthy and if Whiteside is consistent), Bucks (they're too young), Hawks are better than TOR. 

I don"t know why but I like to listen bis commentary...

As a player he had no weaknesses and was tough as nails, so his opinions come from that trusted perch. I tend to look past his multiple ridiculous blunders off the floor after his playing career. Except that athletic director at that Florida community college introducing him as "Isaiah Thompson". He'll never live that down.

Media types just have vendettas against Atlanta or their teams for some reason or another. Some people around the league may have been rubbed the wrong way by Ferry behind the scenes, that's understandable. Hell, maybe even Nique. He's growing a reputation for being a little snobby.

Edited by benhillboy