• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How the Atlanta Hawks Regime Fell Apart (ESPN) Great Read!

JETSET

Gearon is a bigger snake than we ever thought.  He threw Ferry and the organization under the bus as a grudge against Ferry/Levenson and to fatten his pockets even more. 

After this greedy b.s., I'm surprised he is willing to show his face at games since Nique is probably his only supporter in the building.  It would be nice if the crowd would make him feel a little uncomfortable every now and then.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Long read but every fan here should read it. Gearon is the meddling son of a bitch that I always suspected him to be. Ferry should still be our GM. And yes, Wally Blase and the other trainer should still be here as well.

• Admin

Long read but every fan here should read it. Gearon is the meddling son of a bitch that I always suspected him to be. Ferry should still be our GM. And yes, Wally Blase and the other trainer should still be here as well.

It was a very interesting read.  Did not paint a good picture of Gearon and I am glad that is out in the national media.

It looks like Blase should have been gone a while a go.  We needed to update our training staff/technology and he was holding that back.  Sounds like he was not very favored and as soon as even Bud had the opportunity he was gone.

• Like 2

Agree Ferry should still be here. Don't agree about Wally. We need an upgrade there.

Budenholzer very much owed his job to Ferry. His former Spurs colleague had pleaded with Levenson that the Gregg Popovich assistant was the man for the position. Yet Budenholzer felt Ferry should resign, lest the Hawks be subsumed in disruption when training camp opened, and he made his wishes known in a heartfelt conversation with Ferry and Levenson at that time.

But that's his bestie, he might leave over this lol

crazy.gif

• Like 1

• Admin

Surprising that Bud threw Ferry under the bus as well. If Ferry would have had Buds support he would still be here. Especially since Bud looked like a genius with the Hawks play.

I don't know if he threw him under the bus ... he was probably trying to do what was right for the team ... that was a HUGE distraction

• Like 1

Surprising that Bud threw Ferry under the bus as well. If Ferry would have had Buds support he would still be here. Especially since Bud looked like a genius with the Hawks play.

I'd be surprised if Ferry and Budz didn't discuss that ahead of time.  Ferry, seeing the writing on the wall, probably told Budz to do what he had to do.  Even if Ferry had been saved, the turmoil would've been way to disruptive.

• Premium Member

Agree Ferry should still be here. Don't agree about Wally. We need an upgrade there.

What upgrade? Wally Blase is one of the most highly respected trainers in the NBA. Sounds like Ferry wanted to stick it to Gearon and wanted to fire the trainers just to prove a point.

• Like 2

What upgrade? Wally Blase is one of the most highly respected trainers in the NBA. Sounds like Ferry wanted to stick it to Gearon and wanted to fire the trainers just to prove a point.

I don't think we have enough evidence to say whether Wally was deserving to stay.

Apparently Ferry and Budz thought his methods were lacking.

While it's true he was also apparently seen as a favored GoneGearon guy, which probably didn't earn him much favor with Ferry.  That doesn't necessarily mean he didn't deserve to be replaced.

Then why did Bud fire Blase as soon as he took over?

• Like 2

• Admin

Based on?  His hair?  Tenure?  

It sounds like it was not just Ferry who wanted to update/upgrade our training staff.  Bud replaced him as soon as he was allowed to.

• Like 4

Wow, Wow , wow...GREAT read.

So much stuff to digest.

Some things we knew or suspected already: Gearon and Ferry not caring for each other, Gearon saw the Hawks as his play thing, Gearon made a money grab.

New things coming to light:

1. Using analytics

2.  Seems as if the Nique thing was less about the statue but about his improvement as the color guy (we've all said he need improvement)

3. Updating the training staff by wanting to get rid of Blaze and Radulovic to move into the 21st century

4. Ferry suggested hiring a true CEO

5. Bud thought Ferry should resign.

I'm just glad the ASG is caput!!!

I always thought Blaze was the 'cut' man.

I commented last season how he had trimmed down.  I guess Bud thought it wasn't enough.