• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How the Atlanta Hawks Regime Fell Apart (ESPN) Great Read!

JETSET

What I got from the article:

-Gearon is too emotionally tied to the team and city to think logically.  I can understand him not liking "changes" because it's different from what he grew up with but his reaction is ridiculous.  Seems like he let the past get in the way and didn't realize this is also a business - sometimes changes have to be made if you want to succeed, even if it's not the Hawks you remember.  Don't know why you'd want the same though if you're not getting different results.

-Ferry is the opposite.  Not emotionally tied and very driven to make changes to improve the team and sees this as a business - production is important.  He seems a little pompous but was making decisions strictly looking at them logically, not worrying about past or hurting feelings.

After reading this I think they both had to go in the end.  Definitely a clash of personalities.  Some of the best owners stay out of the way and let the people you're paying do the job.  It was obvious Gearon couldn't do that.  I would've been fine letting Danny stay if he had sold early on because it seemed like others were willing to let Danny do his job.

Unfortunately the a-hole in Gearon made him latch on for more money and drag Danny down with him.  By then Danny's stubborn and maybe slight elitist attitude had hurt him by trying to hang onto the position at that point and should've just accepted his fate since he didn't seem to be on everyone's good side towards the end.

At the end of the day, I think this result is best.  Bud is highly liked and doesn't seem to rub any the wrong way in the organization.  The less friction the better at this point.

What amazes me is how team oriented we are, while Gearon's "me-first" attitude is the complete antithesis of that.  He could learn a thing or two from watching this new brand of Hawks basketball and let go of the past.

Edited by AUhawksfan
  • Like 3

Also isn't anyone else interested in what "league executive" originally made the comments about Deng?  The fact they used that term makes me think it was someone higher up and they don't want to tarnish some big name.  I always found it odd that info was never released....

• Like 2

If anything this article confirmed what I suspected and my hate for Gearon. 

It also made me not feel so bad for Danny though, just doesn't seem like a very likable guy even if he had good intentions.  Part of the job is good PR, which we all should know from BK's tenure as GM here.  Bud seems much better at doing his job while keeping others happy.

Good PR goes hand in hand though with having good ownership and the freedom to feel like you can mold the team as you see fit.

Ok, I'm done with my rant lol.

Edited by AUhawksfan
  • Like 1

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13457071/nba-how-atlanta-hawks-regime-fell-apart

We finally get the full story on what happened with Ferry and Levenson and the snake Gearon.

Great read! I didn't see anything wrong with Wilkins getting a bigger influence since when you think about the Hawks historically, you think Nique. However, what the Hawks are doing now with Koonin being the face is ingenious. 

• Like 2

Great read! I didn't see anything wrong with Wilkins getting a bigger influence since when you think about the Hawks historically, you think Nique. However, what the Hawks are doing now with Koonin being the face is ingenious.

Nique in a bigger role will never be a good idea. He can barely handle the role he has now.

• Like 4

Nique in a bigger role will never be a good idea. He can barely handle the role he has now.

Sounds like you really have 'Nique's .... nimber.

I'm here all week folks, tip your Dolfans.

Also isn't anyone else interested in what "league executive" originally made the comments about Deng? The fact they used that term makes me think it was someone higher up and they don't want to tarnish some big name. I always found it odd that info was never released....

The report was posted online

It said "Cleveland front office" but the name was scratched out

Likely Chris Grant, former Cleveland GM

• Like 1

I must say this - how in the hell did we manage to get to the playoffs year after year with such dysfunction is beyond me.

This is for the players that balled though it all....

picard_clapping.gif

Because JJ, Horford, and Josh had each other's back, even with dysfunctionall ownership and a lukewarm fan base. They played hard and they didn't get in trouble. That was a professional group of players that blocked all of that crap out.

Woody and Drew get credit too, for keeping them focused.

• Like 4

Yeah it's one thing to be a prick and have good intentions like Ferry.  It's another to just be a prick period like Gearon, which puts him way ahead

I've had bosses that could be dicks sometimes, but they did put in the work.  I just didn't like them because there are much nicer ways to ask for things.  Then I'll actually get things done for you AND you'll have my respect.  Imagine that!

That is probably why I now don't feel bad for Ferry after reading that article.  Just because you're good at what you do doesn't mean you can forget about those that work for you, it can come back to haunt you and it did for him.  One of the biggest things as a boss is respect your employees so they have your back.  He seemed to think he had enough control to forget that.

• Like 2

Ferry directly responsible for Bud and Koonin mind blown. Ferry writing investment in analytics and d league in his contract gangsta.

I feels a little weird for Bud to ask Ferry to resign; he was probably right but feels like it shouldn't have come from him. Especially, after Ferry stood tall for him when he got popped for a DUI less than a month on the job. That's usually grounds for termination for a coach. Part of me says the balls on this guy, but I think this just shows what good friends they are.

Nique not accepting coaching and personal development; the only thing less surprising in this article is how big of a douche Gearon is.

Ferry extending this training to Nique makes me feel he probably did the same for Blase.I would think Wally could pick up the analytics; it's not rocket science. The wearables and the software do most of the work for you anyway. I wonder if Wally resisted the change at the urging of Gearon.

• Like 1

Nique getting lessons on how to be a better commentator is a great idea. 

He has improved but there is only so many times you can hear Heat check.  I miss when Steve Smith was doing it with Bob.  

Wow I had no idea Smith did it with Bob.

It depends. Yes, the Hawks are marketed towards the younger crowd now but I guess with Nique's presence's now on commentary and Koonin's presence now, it represents the Hawks bridging the past to the future. 

It would be interesting to see how potential FA's would view the Hawks if Nique was involved in the recruiting. 

It depends. Yes, the Hawks are marketed towards the younger crowd now but I guess with Nique's presence's now on commentary and Koonin's presence now, it represents the Hawks bridging the past to the future.

It would be interesting to see how potential FA's would view the Hawks if Nique was involved in the recruiting.

How would Nique influence a free agent? Most of the current players have never seen Nique play. It's not like he's a revered champion. A free agent should be more concerned with pay, opportunity, playing style fit, fit with teammates/coaches before he even blinks an eye at Dominique Wilkins.