• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next Year's Cap Spike (AKA the Durant Thread)

TheFuzz

Might be a dumb thread but my mind's whirling. 

I'm slowly warming up to our lack of size at the 3. I'm starting to believe we'll actually be better this season (by the end at least), mostly cuz I'm big on Holiday.

The other big reason is the cap is going to spike to at least $90M in all likelihood. AND DURANT IS A FREE AGENT. No big deal (some others are too but whatever).

All speculation, but if we hold onto everybody we have options on + Horford's Bird Rights, then we'll be at about $80M, or $10M in cap. We cut Scott and Mack, we're closer to $16M in cap. Durant's max will be about $25M. Question is, who are we willing to shed to get into a competitive price range for Durant? IF he leaves the Thunder (big if), then I have to think we'd at least be in the running for him given our recent success.

• Admin

One guy you can forget is Durant.  He is not coming here no matter how much we have to offer.

while everyone is focused on the really big names... we should sneakily be going after the second and third tier free agents.  Getting the guys that will make the team better and feeling a little left out because their teams free agent focus is somewhere else.

• Like 2

Sounds good in theory, but unless we back up a truckload of money and strippers to Durant's house...I don't see it happening. We are going to keep the Spurs model which means good drafting, finding international players and system fits over star power. Oh and sound coaching. You could argue that the Spurs have some star power, but those stars were drafted by the organization. I think Aldridge is the biggest name they have signed in awhile.....correct me if wrong.

Edited by HawksNWaffles

While I certainly understand folks pulling our name out of the proverbial Durant sweepstakes, you still gotta explore it.  Quietly gauge his interest.  If nothing's there, move on.    If it ever came out that he wanted to be here but thought we weren't interested it'd be somewhat disconcerting (to say the least).  With the deeep playoff run we're about to embark on it's bound to get some folks' attention.

That said, it'd obviously a long shot especially since he has no ties here.  My scenario of trading for Westbrook (after he and Durant get into a bare knuckles brawl) is far more likely.

On a related/unrelated note, how is Washington a better choice than us?  Other than the 'coming home' nonsense (yeah, a guy that went 1-and-done to Texas over Maryland/Georgetown is all about the DC-area).  Why would he want to go from fighting Westbrook for the ball to fighting Wall for the ball and battling Beal for shots.  Beal who's likely to want to test FAgency since he's supposedly miffed that he hasn't gotten extension talks.  Durant wants to lead that juggernaut of a frontcourt of Gortat/Nene oh and weirdo Drew Gooden?  That's a bunch close to a title.  Oh, how did I forget decidedly not-Otto-matic Porter.  Yeah, sign me up for that.

Nice to think that now we might be on some of these players' radar, but highly doubt he comes to the Hawks.  It's either the Wizards, Thunder, or LA imo.  

Sure we will find some less sought after players that can make a splash for us.

While I certainly understand folks pulling our name out of the proverbial Durant sweepstakes, you still gotta explore it.  Quietly gauge his interest.  If nothing's there, move on.    If it ever came out that he wanted to be here but thought we weren't interested it'd be somewhat disconcerting (to say the least).  With the deeep playoff run we're about to embark on it's bound to get some folks' attention.

That said, it'd obviously a long shot especially since he has no ties here.  My scenario of trading for Westbrook (after he and Durant get into a bare knuckles brawl) is far more likely.

On a related/unrelated note, how is Washington a better choice than us?  Other than the 'coming home' nonsense (yeah, a guy that went 1-and-done to Texas over Maryland/Georgetown is all about the DC-area).  Why would he want to go from fighting Westbrook for the ball to fighting Wall for the ball and battling Beal for shots.  Beal who's likely to want to test FAgency since he's supposedly miffed that he hasn't gotten extension talks.  Durant wants to lead that juggernaut of a frontcourt of Gortat/Nene oh and weirdo Drew Gooden?  That's a bunch close to a title.  Oh, how did I forget decidedly not-Otto-matic Porter.  Yeah, sign me up for that.

You sound like a guy that shouldn't hang out at local schools/parks/playgrounds,etc.

Glad to see I'm not crazy, sometimes I think I am. I tend to think we should position ourselves in a way to make a really competitive offer for him. That means cutting Mack and Scott and dropping most of the rights we have. I think it also means expending a couple of pieces moving up in the draft. If we can get an offer starting at $22M or so I think he'd take a long, long look at us. Don't break the bank, but put ourselves in position and then look at the second tier guys.

Edited by TheFuzz

• Premium Member

I do worry about KD staying healthy but I'd love to have him here. Did I imagine this or were there a couple of reports this summer talking about him and Horford working out/training together somewhere?

KG would be an animal here. He'd be a killer anywhere but with this team with the spacing, shooting and basketball IQ? Wow. Yeah, Lebron wouldn't be hand wrapped ECF any longer.

@Sothron   Yeah....no....not him......but definitely KD:laugh:

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

maybe thabo could convince him

I wouldn't get too excited, the only way he leaves OKC is probably with a first round exit like Aldridge (no one thought he would leave Portland in the start of last season)

Edited by aali34

Sounds good in theory, but unless we back up a truckload of money and strippers to Durant's house...I don't see it happening. We are going to keep the Spurs model which means good drafting, finding international players and system fits over star power. Oh and sound coaching. You could argue that the Spurs have some star power, but those stars were drafted by the organization. I think Aldridge is the biggest name they have signed in awhile.....correct me if wrong.

While I do agree that the Spurs build on a foundation of good scouting and player development, they are not totally adverse to making a splash in the free agent market.  Like all good teams they are looking for any opportunity to make themselves better.  I fully expect the Hawks to make a serious bid for Durrant if they feel it is a possibility.  I would also expect Durant to explore his options as well.

• Admin

While I do agree that the Spurs build on a foundation of good scouting and player development, they are not totally adverse to making a splash in the free agent market.  Like all good teams they are looking for any opportunity to make themselves better.  I fully expect the Hawks to make a serious bid for Durrant if they feel it is a possibility.  I would also expect Durant to explore his options as well.

of course we will make a bid and it will be max money just like everyone else.  He is not going to come to Atlanta ... 

• Like 1