• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Well it is started ... Dennis wants to start

capstone21

• Admin

I took this from Rotoworld.com ... We are going to have a Reggie Jackson situation on our hands.  

In an interview with Bild, Dennis Schröder said that his goal is to start at point guard and that he will "look for other opportunities" if that doesn't happen.

"My goal is to start as point guard" Schröder said. "If this doesn’t happen, I will look for other opportunities. The Hawks are a great team, the city is nice and everything is perfect now. [Jeff] Teague? He was an All-Star and he helped me a lot. I must be patient and work hard and eventually I’ll have my opportunities." While Schröder will likely see a bump in minutes this season, Teague has become one of the best point guards in the Eastern Conference and the Hawks aren't just going to hand the job over to the young German. His comments about looking for other opportunities is concerning for the Hawks, so it will be interesting to see how this story plays out over the next few days.

• Admin

Personally I don't want this distraction and honestly like Teague's game better.  He is more team first then Dennis.  I wonder if we can get our shooting guard with a trade of Dennis ( + assets).  

Edited by capstone21

Personally I don't want this distraction and honestly like Teague's game better.  He is more team first then Dennis.  I wonder if we can get our shooting guard with a trade of Dennis ( + assets).  

I agree except I would rather go for a SF than SG.

I think Dennis will get more minutes this year by way of him and Teague being on the court at the same time.  Our lack of proven depth on the wing will be resolved by going small with Teague and Dennis together and going big with Millsap, Horford and Splitter together.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Agreed, @JETSET.  If we need a SG with Korver and a guy we gave up a near lottery pick to acquire just this summer, then something is rotten in the state of the Hawks.  SF, on the other hand, is an area of greater need.

I would look to be opportunistic but not in a rush to deal Dennis.

I think we all knew this was coming.  Pretty sure the Hawks brass did as well.  I don't have a problem with what he said.  It wasn't disrespectful.  Probably wasn't really wise to say it since it could potentially become a distraction of sorts.

Like @AHF said, we should be opportunistic but not feel rushed to trade him.

• Premium Member

This is why in my 2k16 franchise I traded Teague to get Harrison Barnes. Dennis has a higher ceiling than Teague ever had. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that Dennis wants to start somewhere with how well he played last season.

This is why in my 2k16 franchise I traded Teague to get Harrison Barnes. Dennis has a higher ceiling than Teague ever had. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that Dennis wants to start somewhere with how well he played last season.

Could we not trade Dennis, via some wonky 3-team deal, and end up with Barnes?  Would that be a good deal for us?  I look at Barnes and struggle to not see Marvo 2.0.

I would hope we are able to get better value than Barnes for one of the best contracts in the league.

• Admin

The teams in need of a pg are Utah and Philly.  Dennis for Hood or Dennis for Covington or Teague for Haywood.  Honestly, if we did think about trading one of our point guards ... I would rather it be Dennis.  I like Teague better and his game definitely fits this system way way better

But that is getting way ahead of ourselves.  I just hope it doesn't become a distraction or trades getting demanded.  

Edited by capstone21

We keep both. Run a small backcourt of Dennis and Teague at times. We don't trade either. I think they are both way too valuable for us. If a perfect deal comes around that makes sense for us, then pull it. But in no way do we make a move just to make a move. 

Could we not trade Dennis, via some wonky 3-team deal, and end up with Barnes?  Would that be a good deal for us?  I look at Barnes and struggle to not see Marvo 2.0.

I wouldn't deal Dennis or Teague but in no way is Barnes anything like Marvin imo. Barnes is much stronger in almost all areas. Marvin would fall down if the wind blew.

I wouldn't deal Dennis or Teague but in no way is Barnes anything like Marvin imo. Barnes is much stronger in almost all areas. Marvin would fall down if the wind blew.

Thanks for chiming in.  I know you've seen them play often since your such a huge Curry fan. :happy:

Agree we shouldn't trade either unless we have to.  Even then, just wait until the perfect deal comes up.

@hawksfanatic, you do realize it's the offseason, right?  Gotta cling to every nonstory.  Don't worry, there's only 7 days left ...

• Premium Member

The teams in need of a pg are Utah and Philly.  Dennis for Hood or Dennis for Covington or Teague for Haywood.  Honestly, if we did think about trading one of our point guards ... I would rather it be Dennis.  I like Teague better and his game definitely fits this system way way better

But that is getting way ahead of ourselves.  I just hope it doesn't become a distraction or trades getting demanded.  

I would love to trade Teague for Haywood but I don't know if Utah would ever trade him. He's good and let's face it, they love their white guys that can play there in Mormon land.

• Premium Member

What bothers me is not that he wants to be a starting PG. Of course he wants to be that. Wouldn't want a player who doesn't have that as a goal--it's a matter of what he demands of himself.

What bothers me is that the goal of being a starting PG has to be secondary at his young age to being a guard for a championship team, or you're really not sold on the team goal... and if you're really not sold on the team goal, you're better for a team like the Clippers or the Rockets where they take the anybody-who's-anybody hired-gun approach.

I'd have to hear more than what Dennis is quoted here to have said to be absolutely persuaded that he's going to be a problem rather than an asset, especially in reference specifically to this season's success. That he acknowledged Teague's mentorship gives me some degree of comfort that, while he's confident, he's not over-the-line full of himself... at least, not yet.

Soooo... I think I'm with the group here that says you keep your options open, but I really would have to be persuaded that whatever was coming back in any trade proposed would be so significant it would undeniably put us in a position to challenge for this year's championship.

I don't see that happening.

And moreover, I don't dismiss the possibility that Dennis could be here for the long-term, especially if his jump shot improves.

• Like 1

FYI: the "source" is BILD, a yellow press paper. They are known for exaggerating and misrepresenting facts and interviews to get more attention :)

Dennis has said the same thing he has said all along, that he wants to be a starter in the NBA. He expects things to move forward (i.e. more playing time this season) and if that doesn't happen, he would have to look for other opportunities.

He has averaged 14 points, 7.7. assists and 3.4 rebounds in his 10 starts (29 minutes/game) as well as 14 points and 6 assists through 15 games in March (24 minutes per game). He also shot 41% from 3 from January through April (108 tries). He also had a good Eurobasket, where he clearly led a team that had Dirk Nowitzki on it. If that isn't starter material for a 22 year old, I don't know.

I expect him to be better than last season and he does as well, I am sure. It is only natural that he wants his role to increase. It is up to the coaching staff to fix the "1st world problem" of having two very good Point Guards :)

Edited by kurupt
  • Like 1