HAWKS AND CAVALIERS ARE THE BEST TEAMS IN THE EAST..

Hawkmoor

I know its early, but thats how i see this shaking out again. Im pleasantly surprised at how good Splitter and Holiday are coming off the bench.  The bench is DEFINITELY deeper than the deep bench they had last year. Bazemore and Thabo will offset the lost of Carroll. I see the team cruising into the playoffs again with the only competition being the Cavaliers, who i still give the rebounding edge to. I thought there would be a drop off to a 45 win season, but i dont think that way anymore about this team. 

Yup in fact I think the hawks are going to be number 1 seed again with 54-56 wins but I've said that all along...I wasn't too worried about DMCs departure cause I've always believed bazemore could do the same thing.

so far bazemore has made me forget we even lost DMC. He has proven he has the skills to play the DMC role while even adding more athleticism all at the same time. 

Now im not going to say he is just as good as DMC yet because now we need to see if he continues to stay consistent but I will say and again Baze has all the tools to make hawk fans forget that we even lost DMC...in about 20 games in we are going to see a thread "DMC who?"

unfortunately even though I think the Hawks will be number one seed again and I believe bazemore will more than fill in the shoes for the lost of DMC...I'm not going to lie and say I think our Hawks can beat Lebron and his cavs come playoff time! Sorry but Lebron has proven time and time again that beating him in the regular season means nothing and putting smaller frame guys on him (DMC, Baze) he's going to back them down easily and score...the only way I will feel better about our chances of actually winning is if we start to see our big man rotation come together with sap at the 3....like I said last season...Lebron is going to be there and ready, what are the Hawks going to do? Who in the east can slow down Lebron even though you know exactly what he's going to do which is simple back down and kick out or back down and score.

Im not expecting the hawks to shut Lebron down but they do need to make him uncomfortable as much as possible if they get to him again.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

I'm not sold on our team just yet. I think the scheme and coaching alone will carry us to 45-50 wins, but are we elite or as good as we were last year? I'm not sure. We should be, but we need Korver to knock the rust off, and we still need some guys to rebound. Honestly it would be great if we could trade Mac and Scott at some point for another big body that can rebound. I'm not sure who that would be, but that would be nice come playoff time. Hopefully trading our pick for Hardaway works out, because we need him to be instant offense off of the bench. With our PG's set, and Korver, Thabo, Hardaway, and Baze as our main 2/3 spot players I think we will be good on the perimeter, but only having Sap, Horford, and Splitter will leave us a tad short in the rebounding and post defense department again. Adding a big that can bang in the paint, and maybe another shooter, would really put us in a good spot.

• Like 1

Come playoff time LeBron belongs to Thabo and Paul, that's how I see it.  And you aren't backing either down. The key is our defense functions great on help and activity. Lebron, however is excellent at passing out of isolations and post ups. We can not over help on him. We have to play him straight and keep bodies on their shooters and rebounders.  When we are scrambling to double and help and rotate it leaves guys open for shots or their bigs open to grab uncontested rebounds. Paul and Thabo aren't afraid to take him on without help. We can live with him dropping 30-40 as long as we aren't letting other guys get  20+ too. 

As long as Teague keeps being aggressive and Baze keep knocking down his open shots we are going to be tough. Baze is Demarre's shorter more athletic twin right now. His play is vital until Korver and Thabo can give us better production.

Teague however, is evolving into Chauncey Billups 2.0. Nobody can stop him when he wants it bad enough. He has to keep that dog. He almost single handedly won game 3 against the Cavs last year and despite the inconsistency,  he really put up some good numbers in our most crucial games of the playoffs.  He has carried that over to start this season. He plays like he knows he is better than whoever is guarding him which is yet another step up from his already career best season last year. People thought that he had hit his ceiling but he is proving there is even more potential as he just enters his prime.

Overall we are a solid squad. I think we will hit a couple of tough losing patches here and there that will make us look vulnerable but overall we can complete with any team in the East.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, JTB said:

Yup in fact I think the hawks are going to be number 1 seed again with 54-56 wins but I've said that all along...I wasn't too worried about DMCs departure cause I've always believed bazemore could do the same thing.

so far bazemore has made me forget we even lost DMC. He has proven he has the skills to play the DMC role while even adding more athleticism all at the same time. 

Now im not going to say he is just as good as DMC yet because now we need to see if he continues to stay consistent but I will say and again Baze has all the tools to make hawk fans forget that we even lost DMC...in about 20 games in we are going to see a thread "DMC who?"

unfortunately even though I think the Hawks will be number one seed again and I believe bazemore will more than fill in the shoes for the lost of DMC...I'm not going to lie and say I think our Hawks can beat Lebron and his cavs come playoff time! Sorry but Lebron has proven time and time again that beating him in the regular season means nothing and putting smaller frame guys on him (DMC, Baze) he's going to back them down easily and score...the only way I will feel better about our chances of actually winning is if we start to see our big man rotation come together with sap at the 3....like I said last season...Lebron is going to be there and ready, what are the Hawks going to do? Who in the east can slow down Lebron even though you know exactly what he's going to do which is simple back down and kick out or back down and score.

Im not expecting the hawks to shut Lebron down but they do need to make him uncomfortable as much as possible if they get to him again.

Lebron James is NOT the key to Cleveland like people think. Who cares if he gets 20-25 points? Man, TEAGUE does that for the Hawks. TEAGUE. No, how Cleveland beat Atlanta is in the paint. You pointed out something ive pointed out on this board ( before it was changed over), that the Hawks HAVE to stop Thompson and Mosgov on the boards. Thats how they beat Atlanta. Switching Sap to the 3 is mandatory in a series against the Cavaliers. Scott has to get more involved. Splitter will have to show up. Running Horford and Sap out there together as your 5 and 4 isnt gonna cut it against Cleveland.

Again, LET Lebron get his, you dont care. What you care about is the second chance points that Cleveland gets and them keeping you off YOUR offensive board.  You compete there, you beat Cleveland.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators

Lebron is the key to Cleveland, just like he was the key to Miami.  That doesn't mean you can't win doing something like you suggest - letting Lebron take jumpers and limiting the role players - but he is the engine in that car.

• Like 1

We need to play more consistent team Basketball. Our bench has been to inconsistent has have our starters. I like the improved Horford and Teague as well as Baze. I want to see more from Sap and I really want to see more from Korver who's been bad this year. Tiago is inconsistent on offense but his defense is top notch. 

I think 5 games in is too soon to talk about specific consistency issues. 

Our bench hasn't been inconsistent as it have been just bad in general. We aren't getting a lot. 

Korver will be fine, he had no offseason training. Last night Bud said KK had to Rework his shot mechanics after the 2 surgeries. He'll get there.

Sap's shot is off but he's doing everything else to fill the stat sheet.

hope the raptors won't end up with more wins. it sure will bring up a question about the demare decision...they looking good right out of the gate!

would regret that move if he will become  a factor in a possible playoff encounter either.

• Premium Member

It's way too early, but the Raptors are the only undefeated team in the East and they've had some impressive wins.  Adding DMC to that team has improved them greatly.  And the Wizards have also looked good too.  I think the East will have some tough matchups come playoff time.

• Premium Member

It's too early to really guess who the 2 best teams are but the obvious pick would be the two teams who played in the ECF last year. Toronto is looking good but they were #1 in the east up until early January of last season. Washington also had some time holding the top seed I believe? 

Toronto has looked good, but Derozen has stretches where he can't make a shot and Lowry is a bit off in the head....they will probably self destruct around march or april like every other year

It is only five games in but nothing has changed my view (so far) that it will be the hawks and cavs in the ecf

6 hours ago, nonono said:

Toronto has looked good, but Derozen has stretches where he can't make a shot and Lowry is a bit off in the head....they will probably self destruct around march or april like every other year

It is only five games in but nothing has changed my view (so far) that it will be the hawks and cavs in the ecf

The thing that sets the Hawks and Cavs a part from the Wiz and Raps is depth.