• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where is Hardaway?

Hawkmoor

http://nypost.com/2015/12/27/tim-hardaway-jr-adjusting-to-life-without-playing-time/

Tim Hardaway Jr. adjusting to life without playing time

Tim Hardaway Jr. was a first-team All-Rookie selection two years ago. The former Knicks first-round pick still managed to average double figures off the bench last season despite a bit of a sophomore malaise as he adjusted to the triangle offense.

Even with what was a frosty relationship with coach Derek Fisher, those times seem prosperous compared to what Hardaway is going through now. The former Michigan star with the famous father has played in four games for the Hawks since June’s draft-night trade with the Knicks for Jerian Grant.

Hardaway, who did not play for the Hawks in their 117-98 blowout win over the Knicks on Saturday night, never wanted to leave after he cobbled together two promising seasons as a bench sniper. The Knicks will play the Hawks three times in nine days, and he may be inactive for all of them.

“Everybody thinks about that,’’ Hardaway said. “Everybody wants to stay with the team they got drafted with. A lot of times, it doesn’t work that way. You got to move on and build a new legacy somewhere else. The passion you bring, you have to take to that team you’re with.

“They brought me here for a reason. They know what I can do. I’m here for a reason.’’

The Hawks, who were the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference last season, are built on defense and Spurs-like ball movement. Hardaway has yet to crack Atlanta coach Mike Budenholzer’s code. But the Hawks gave up a significant asset to get him so they hardly are giving up on Hardaway. The coaching staff is thrilled with how he is handling the demotion.

“He’s been very good, very impressed, very pleased with his work behind the scenes that nobody sees, working on in the weight room, conditioning, shooting, everything,’’ said Budenholzer, the 2015 NBA Coach of the Year. “I can promise you he’s doing well and in a good place. His approach to it has been very professional. There’s a real emphasis here on player development. We’ve seen guys come in, not start out as gangbusters. Through work and effort, they find a way. I would say he’s following that path.’’

He probably won’t play but Hardaway, who suffered through a two-game stint in the D-League with Canton, will chip in his wisdom for the three Knicks games.

“I’ll be on the bench calling out their plays before they even call it out,’’ Hardaway said.

Selected 24th in the 2013 draft by the Knicks, Hardaway has one guaranteed year left on his rookie contract. His father, Tim Hardaway, is a Pistons assistant and recently was re-nominated for the Hall of Fame.

“He’s still my father, even with a different team,’’ Hardaway Jr. said. “He’s been in this situation a few times. Any questions or concerns, he’s a phone call away. It’s the luxury I have.’’

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'm still believing that Hardaway will be in the rotation before it's all over.   We need a scorer and Patterson isn't the answer.

I hope you're right about that. With Korver struggling, the Hawks really need some help at SG that can actually put the ball in the basket. I liked Hardaway at Michigan, but he hasn't developed into the kind of player I thought he would be...yet.

On 12/30/2015 at 9:40 AM, macdaddy said:

I'm still believing that Hardaway will be in the rotation before it's all over.   We need a scorer and Patterson isn't the answer.

I dont understand the criticism of Patterson. Dude looks alright to me everytime he is in the game.

• Moderators
On 1/2/2016 at 4:04 AM, Hawkmoor said:

I dont understand the criticism of Patterson. Dude looks alright to me everytime he is in the game.

That's just it.  He looks alright.    His D is alright, his ball handling is alright, his shooting is alright but nothing is very good or even above average.   He panics with the ball sometimes and gets picked off his man easily.   He does some good things but doesn't really impact the game.   At least that's what i see.   He actually looked better the first part of the year.   

My feeling is that Patterson isn't going to get significantly better.   He's maxing out his talent to be in the league.   If he was impacting the game in some aspect then i'd see giving him minutes but since he isn't we're just giving him valuable minutes that would be better spent on someone with more potential.  

But I like the guy and would be happy to eat crow on this.   I'm not even criticizing him.   I really think it's just bad coaching (and gm'ing) that he seems to be holding onto a spot in the rotation.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That's just it.  He looks alright.    His D is alright, his ball handling is alright, his shooting is alright but nothing is very good or even above average.   He panics with the ball sometimes and gets picked off his man easily.   He does some good things but doesn't really impact the game.   At least that's what i see.   He actually looked better the first part of the year.   

My feeling is that Patterson isn't going to get significantly better.   He's maxing out his talent to be in the league.   If he was impacting the game in some aspect then i'd see giving him minutes but since he isn't we're just giving him valuable minutes that would be better spent on someone with more potential.  

But I like the guy and would be happy to eat crow on this.   I'm not even criticizing him.   I really think it's just bad coaching (and gm'ing) that he seems to be holding onto a spot in the rotation.

THIS.  Patterson has the role he has with us on a bottom dweller team...at best.

Edited by bumpyphish1

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

My feeling is that Patterson isn't going to get significantly better.   

You are correct with some of your thoughts but it's his first year in the NBA, I never like to write off young players so quickly.

I do agree with you regarding playing the more talented player as opposed to the hardest working guy. And by all accounts THJr is also working hard in practice just isn't up to speed with O and D playbook.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You are correct with some of your thoughts but it's his first year in the NBA, I never like to write off young players so quickly.

I do agree with you regarding playing the more talented player as opposed to the hardest working guy. And by all accounts THJr is also working hard in practice just isn't up to speed with O and D playbook.

I've been buying that argument but we're in January now so if he doesn't have the playbook down that's really bad.    I actually think he must not be showing good instincts to move and find the right guys because so much of this offense is just improv, but there again that's hard to get a feel for if you're not in the game.     If we were clicking on all cylinders and ANY of the 2 guards were excelling at something then i'd say keep him in the D-league, but neither of those things are happening.     We are wildly inconsistent and the 2 is our worst position by far.  

• Like 1

So THJr made an appearance last night and, amazingly, the world didn't fall completely apart at the seems.  What gives?

If Korver is run out there for another 30+ minutes my meager brain might fold in on itself.  Kyle might get it back but, if he's struggling back from surgery (and he CLEARLY is), the way to get it back is not to be running him into the ground early in the season.

USE THJr TO SPELL KYLE!  It's not rocket surgery.  Maybe he's not a perfect fit.  Maybe he makes a mistake or 2 or 3.  So freaking what!  Allowing Kyle to slowly make it back is good for the team and for our season.  And you know what, there's a chance THJr might be better in games than he is in practice.  You know that actually happens, right?

• Moderators

Not sure if Hardaway is the answer, but Korver definitely needs his minutes cut very substantially so I am all for giving him a shot.  He cannot be as bad in games as he has been so far and regular minutes could be a big help with his performance.

On 1/2/2016 at 2:04 PM, AHF said:

In that he is playing for another team?

I'm just now reading this.  lol

In that video there's something very fluid in the way he moves and cuts to the basket.  Seems to have a good pull-up jumper and can hit the 3 with proficiency (at least in the D-leage it seems).  There's also something about his physique that is similar to Joe.