• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How to Get "god" Status in the ATL.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Just reading a post and it came to me.  Danny Ferry now has god status in the ATL.  All you have to do is do something stupid and get fired.  Rankin and Taylor Smith never did this.  Neither did Ted Turner.  I suspect this is probably working for Belkin right now even though he wasn't fired, he was bought out.

Seriously, there are so many people who believe that Ferry would right this ship.

Let's see...

What did Ferry do?

1.  Firesale of big salaries?  Hell, BK knew to do that.  That's GM 101.

2.  Draft guys that our coach couldn't use?

3.  Draft guys and hide them overseas?

Ferry's biggest in season pickup was.. drumroll.... Antwain Jamison for Cenk .  I don't think Ferry would do anything any different than what Budcox is doing.  The only difference is that Elton Brand may still be our BU 5.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Just reading a post and it came to me.  Danny Ferry now has god status??  in the ATL.  All you have to do is do something stupid and get fired.  Rankin and Taylor Smith never did this.  Neither did Ted Turner.  I suspect this is probably working for Belkin right now even though he wasn't fired, he was bought out.

Seriously, there are so many people who believe that Ferry would right this ship.

Let's see...

What did Ferry do?

Ferry's biggest in season pickup was.. drumroll.... Antwain Jamison for Cenk .  I don't think Ferry would do anything any different than what Budcox is doing.  The only difference is that Elton Brand may still be our BU 5.  

rs_250x188-140110112925-tumblr_m5qcuk4pc

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Just reading a post and it came to me.  Danny Ferry now has god status in the ATL.  All you have to do is do something stupid and get fired.  Rankin and Taylor Smith never did this.  Neither did Ted Turner.  I suspect this is probably working for Belkin right now even though he wasn't fired, he was bought out.

Let's see...

What did Ferry do?

Why are you comparing Ferry to Rankin Smith and Ted Turner?    They never got fired because they OWNED THE TEAM.   You don't think Ted Turner said way worse things than what got Ferry fired?  

That 60 win season and ECF birth was all Ferry's team.   The only guys on that team that Ferry didn't acquire were Horford and Teague and really he did re-sign Teague.    It's just ridiculous to give him no credit for building a team that was better than in Atlanta Hawks team in history.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The #15 pick if Atlanta actually picked would also be DNP-CD.

Think a lot of you just want a shiny first round rookie prospect.

Yep.  Much rather have the next Dennis than the next Jenkins.

FWIW, there are currently 25 rookies with more minutes played than DNP-CD and 12 players with more minutes selected #15 or later.

All players selected in round 1 are under team control for an additional 2 years.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Why are you comparing Ferry to Rankin Smith and Ted Turner?    They never got fired because they OWNED THE TEAM.   You don't think Ted Turner said way worse things than what got Ferry fired?  

That 60 win season and ECF birth was all Ferry's team.   The only guys on that team that Ferry didn't acquire were Horford and Teague and really he did re-sign Teague.    It's just ridiculous to give him no credit for building a team that was better than in Atlanta Hawks team in history.  

He resigned Teague because Bud made him do it... or did you forget?   We almost had Monta Ellis  or Brandon Jennings here.    I give him credit for Millsap and Korver.  No doubt.   However, with that comes every draft blunder too.   With that comes every midseason failure to get anybody.   I know we consider him a big picture guy and an architect of sorts but really, with money in hand, there were some decisions he was forced to make.  After trading away Joe and Josh, he had to come away with something after his plan to get CP3 and D12 failed?  Or did we forget.   Moreover, he set us up to lose either Paul or DMC based on how the contracts were negotiated.

You call him genius, I say he was BK 2.0.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

Ferry didn't trade our highest first round pick in years for DNP-CD. That's his official name now: DNP-CD.

We talking about Bebe?  I mean Lucas?

No.. we traded him for sweatsock sweat.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

He resigned Teague because Bud made him do it... or did you forget?   We almost had Monta Ellis  or Brandon Jennings here.    I give him credit for Millsap and Korver.  No doubt.   However, with that comes every draft blunder too.   With that comes every midseason failure to get anybody.   I know we consider him a big picture guy and an architect of sorts but really, with money in hand, there were some decisions he was forced to make.  After trading away Joe and Josh, he had to come away with something after his plan to get CP3 and D12 failed?  Or did we forget.   Moreover, he set us up to lose either Paul or DMC based on how the contracts were negotiated.

You call him genius, I say he was BK 2.0.

Show me where Bud made him resign Teague.

Without trading Joe and Marvin (not Josh) there would be NO plan to even ATTEMPT to get CP3 and D12. 

He set us up to lose DMC or Millsap???? - no words for that gem.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Show me where Bud made him resign Teague.

Without trading Joe and Marvin (not Josh) there would be NO plan to even ATTEMPT to get CP3 and D12. 

He set us up to lose DMC or Millsap???? - no words for that gem.

When you sign guys to steal contracts without bird rights it is harder to keep them.  If Ferry only would have signed worse players or signed them for more then it wouldn't have been such a big increase for us to swallow.

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

When you sign guys to steal contracts without bird rights it is harder to keep them.  If Ferry only would have signed worse players or signed them for more then it wouldn't have been such a big increase for us to swallow.

And if he had signed them for more money at longer deals, he would have been blasted then (bearing in mind he  was blasted for 'ONLY' signing them with all the capspace we had.  Its a no win circular argument.

No one and I mean no one expected this development from either of these guys and NO ONE expected DMC to command $15 mil. People balked at saying we should pay him in the $5-$7 million dollar range. Then the TV money and cap exploded.

And I'm not saying Ferry did some 'god like status' things - I'm saying credit him with the things he got right and fuss at the things where he fell short.

Why am I even in this thread rehashing Ferry's short tenure here, smh.    He's long gone.

When certain people (I won't name names)  says DF picked Bebe but Bud picked Dennis I know it's an agenda.

He wasn't perfect, far from it, but the Hawks are in a better position than when he got here. No albatross contracts, we still have our first round draft picks (we just have to hit on them), and a good coach.

And with that I'm done talking about DF.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why am I even in this thread rehashing Ferry's short tenure here, smh.    He's long gone.

When certain people (I won't name names)  says DF picked Bebe but Bud picked Dennis I know it's an agenda.

He wasn't perfect, far from it, but the Hawks are in a better position than when he got here. No albatross contracts, we still have our first round draft picks (we just have to hit on them), and a good coach.

And with that I'm done talking about DF.

i give ferry credit for Dennis too.  It was the same draft.  Im just not a fan of taking first round picks and hiding them overseas.

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

Still waiting for where Bud made Ferry do it.

Teague was ready to leave Atlanta. In an interview with Hawks general manager Danny Ferry, Teague had said the Bucks had a young nucleus of players and had told him he was the kind of player they could build around. He even went as far as asking Ferry not to match the offer sheet and let him move on. Ferry was not sold and after announcing that Teague would return, Ferry said, "We look forward to seeing him develop into even more of a leader on our team."

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Hawks matched a four-year, $32 million offer sheet on Saturday. Atlanta had three days to match the offer from the Bucks after the team wanted the point guard to reunite with form Hawks' coach Larry Drew in Milwaukee. Atlanta will keep Teague at $8 million in salary per season.

Teague was ready to leave Atlanta. In an interview with Hawks general manager Danny Ferry, Teague had said the Bucks had a young nucleus of players and had told him he was the kind of player they could build around. He even went as far as asking Ferry not to match the offer sheet and let him move on. Ferry was not sold and after announcing that Teague would return, Ferry said, "We look forward to seeing him develop into even more of a leader on our team."

Atlanta was interested in both Milwaukee point guards, Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings. Ellis reportedly is headed to the Dallas Mavericks after finalizing a three-year deal with the team. It came down to who the Hawks thought was the better player between Jennings and Teague.

Teague has the better shooting percentage at 45.1 percent last season compared to Jennings' 39.9 percent. Teague also put up 7.2 assists per game last season while Jennings on managed 6.5 assists. With Teague leading in the two most important stat columns for a point guard, it was easy to see why the Hawks opted to match the offer. Teague's reputation of being a better facilitator secured his future in Atlanta.

New head coach Mike Budenholzer is happy to see Atlanta decided to bring back the young point guard. Teague's presence will be key for Budenholzer's long-term success in Atlanta

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/18136/20130715/atlanta-hawks-rumors-jeff-teague-return-milwaukee-bucks-brandon-jennings.htm