• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's time to tank

Lurker

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

balance, and Golden State rebounds better than Atlanta.  Golden State is fourth in the NBA in total rebounding,  Atlanta 3rd from last.  Golden State averages 3 more rebounds per game on the offensive end than Atlanta.  They get second chances OFF 3 pointers. Atlanta is one and done.

I agree.  I would love to see us have balance between our 3 point shooting and inside play, particularly rebounding.  It's what I preach.  However, when you say it's still an inside game...  You don't know the implications to that statement.  For years, the NBA was an inside game and the outside shot was seen as a novelty.  Teams didn't go out of their way to find guys who could score outside.  Teams wanted the high percentage inside scoring.  However, after R. Miller, and  R. Allen, we have seen a changing in the priority of basketball.   It's not a fad, it's something that has lasting implications.  Teams that can shoot the three point shot can win championships.   We are one of those "finesse" teams.  However, whereas GS is a team that shows great balance,  we are a team with very little balance because we have an undersized C and now he refused to play strong inside. (I believe it's because he's trying to stay healthy but that's another thread). So.. no... the NBA is not "still" an inside game.  The  NBA is a game all about balance and that balance is shifted more to the three point shooting teams than the inside teams... otherwise OKC and Detroit  would be the best teams in Basketball.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I would bet my house they will win 30 games let alone be "lucky" to do that.

I over exaggerated but if things continue at the pace they are now, ATL will be 35-47 at the end of the season which is bad and means they should tank and have it be 25 wins instead. 7-11 in 74 games is a 28 win pace. It's now time to ignore the start and look at the now.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I over exaggerated but if things continue at the pace they are now, ATL will be 35-47 at the end of the season which is bad and means they should tank and have it be 25 wins instead. 7-11 in 74 games is a 28 win pace. It's now time to ignore the start and look at the now.

If you pick any slump or streak and pro-rate it over the season and ignore other results, it will always show an extreme result.  If you look at the pace at the beginning of the season, we would be among the greatest teams in NBA history.  If you look at the pace in the worst part of our season, we would be a 35 win team.  

You saying that we should end up with 25 wins means we will need to go 11-45 the rest of the way - less than a 20% win rate.  That means you think we can win at the second worst win rate in Hawks (St. Louis & Atlanta) history.  Sorry - I just don't see it being realistic.  We won't be able to shop our guys and move fast enough to hit that number even if we want to -- which I don't think Bud does.

I've advocated tanking in the past.  I just don't see that this is the window of opportunity for it.

16 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

balance, and Golden State rebounds better than Atlanta.  Golden State is fourth in the NBA in total rebounding,  Atlanta 3rd from last.  Golden State averages 3 more rebounds per game on the offensive end than Atlanta.  They get second chances OFF 3 pointers. Atlanta is one and done.

Yeah that's why I was like people can't say just because the Hawks shoot 3s and not prioritize offensive rebounds isn't a valid excuse on why they can't get offensive rebounds if GS does it well. 

17 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Yeah that's why I was like people can't say just because the Hawks shoot 3s and not prioritize offensive rebounds isn't a valid excuse on why they can't get offensive rebounds if GS does it well. 

Rebounding is about effort and want to - we've seen the Hawks do it.  They just have no consistency with it.  Just like everything so far this season - shooting, rebounding, defense, rotations, substitions,  minutes, starters, coaching - all consistently inconsistent.