• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's time to tank

Lurker

7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

This is such a short sighted statement and I don't know where to begin to respond to it.  Needless to say, Bud hung his hat on this team winning as a jump shooting team.  Only problem is that the players on this team are not good shooters.  Last year Korver was a completely different player from what he is this year.  That to me is the biggest difference to me.

Exactly. Now that bud has nobody who can hit 3 pointers consistently, he refuses to change his plays so that the 5 is going toward the rim. Teams just hang around the paint now and don't chase Hawk shooters.  It was a SIMPLE adjustment..

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

Wanting to tank is a complete over reaction at this point.  You're basically asking for this team to totally suck for the next 5 to 6 years.  I will say that if the team continues to loose that it will be a very active off-season.

• Premium Member
On 12/12/2015, 11:51:50, Hawkmoor said:

Once korver stopped hitting shots, the hawk's weaknesses became apparent.  The NBA is still a inside game.....

Nah Son.  GS proves night in and night out that this is not true.

Our weakness is that we don't get rebounds or score points inside.  IF we did so, Korver would be much more potent.  Moreover, Bud ball would work.

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, mtnbayou said:

Time to absolutely trade Teague.  I'm sick of his no care attitude.  

Let Shredder take over.  Might as well trade Horford as well.  Should be able to get some great stuff for those two

We need a shooting guard and a center who doesn't play like a female.

Dennis would be the death of this team.  Are you kidding?

The problem is not Teague or Millsap.  It's not Baze or Thabo.  The problem is that on the inside we don't have anybody doing the dirty work and getting boards.  Hello DMC, we miss you.  Horford has been soft for some time and we're just now seeing it.   We can bring in Andersen??  We can go after another Big like Marcin or Nene if Washington has a firesale.   However, what we can't do is repeat last year.  Last year, while we were on top, Cleveland went out and got depth in the paint and we ignore it.  When we played Cleveland without DMC being 100% (Hello DMC, we miss you) we saw Thompson and company dominate the boards and we became irrelevant without Korver popping threes.

I would rather not take Horford into FAcy because he's going to hold us hostage.  What I mean is that he doesn't make enough to make him leaving for nothing worth something to us... and he's going to want the max.... and he's not going to pull a Millsap and show that he's worth the money if we get him the max.  I say trade him and get us some young player(s) who we can use.

37 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Nah Son.  GS proves night in and night out that this is not true.

Our weakness is that we don't get rebounds or score points inside.  IF we did so, Korver would be much more potent.  Moreover, Bud ball would work.

Didnt i SAY that the NBA is still a INSIDE game???.................Here is MY quote:

On 12/12/2015, 11:51:50, Hawkmoor said:

Once korver stopped hitting shots, the hawk's weaknesses became apparent.  The NBA is still a inside game.....

200x200px-ZC-932b6ecf_tumblr_m3qcqlkXa51

Edited by Hawkmoor

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Also Al Horford  knew last year team was special in training camp, this year he can tell it's not.

14521082.gif

what does that even mean.

So Horford realizes the team isn't special so instead of saying "I'm the team best player they'll need me more, he said let me instead play like ass?"

sigh.gif~c200

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

the lost of Carroll hurt this team

Teams would still be putting a body on Korver and living with Carroll trying to beat them with threes, using the other 4 players in the game to pack the paint and force players like Teague and Millsap to beat them with their jump shot when neither are great jump shooters.

That's the essence of what I saw opposing team's game plans as in the playoffs in simple language and guess what, it's STILL the game plan of teams right now.

Carroll also hasn't been good this season. It would have made no difference if he was kept.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Teams would still be putting a body on Korver and living with Carroll trying to beat them with threes, using the other 4 players in the game to pack the paint and force players like Teague and Millsap to beat them with their jump shot when neither are great jump shooters.

That's the essence of what I saw opposing team's game plans as in the playoffs in simple language and guess what, it's STILL the game plan of teams right now.

Carroll also hasn't been good this season. It would have made no difference if he was kept.

Supes is trying to convince us that keeping DMC and letting Millsap walk should have been the move just so Al could be the PF. Without Millsap we would be worse off with the way Al is playing.  Ideally, keeping them both would be the play. 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

This is such a short sighted statement and I don't know where to begin to respond to it.  Needless to say, Bud hung his hat on this team winning as a jump shooting team.  Only problem is that the players on this team are not good shooters.  Last year Korver was a completely different player from what he is this year.  That to me is the biggest difference to me.

I have said it before, but I think Korver will get stronger as the year goes along.  Like many people coming off of surgery, I expected him to be playing at 75% for 2015 and only getting back to normal later in the season (or next year).  Thabo has exceeded my expectations in this regard.   I expected both of them to be "down" for a good chunk of the season.

I get your perspective that more has changed with this team, but that still puts us in wheeling and dealing mode rather than burn it down and tank for the future mode.  We are too close to being good and competitive to not try to work something out.  The idea that we need to jettison everyone right now and start losing games hoping that the worst teams in the league will win more than us is not credible for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Supes is trying to convince us that keeping DMC and letting Millsap walk should have been the move just so Al could be the PF. Without Millsap we would be worse off with the way Al is playing.  Ideally, keeping them both would be the play. 

"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling Jaybird!" - @NBASupes

3 hours ago, AHF said:

I have said it before, but I think Korver will get stronger as the year goes along.  Like many people coming off of surgery, I expected him to be playing at 75% for 2015 and only getting back to normal later in the season (or next year).  Thabo has exceeded my expectations in this regard.   I expected both of them to be "down" for a good chunk of the season.

I get your perspective that more has changed with this team, but that still puts us in wheeling and dealing mode rather than burn it down and tank for the future mode.  We are too close to being good and competitive to not try to work something out.  The idea that we need to jettison everyone right now and start losing games hoping that the worst teams in the league will win more than us is not credible for me.

It's not like this team is loaded with great trading pieces. You think the Hawks could get a lot for Teague? PG's a dime a dozen now.

Maybe someone is dumb enough to pay Al the big bucks, but that's about it.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Didnt i SAY that the NBA is still a INSIDE game???.................Here is MY quote:

As anything, that can be interpreted several ways.  Are you saying that A 3 point shooting team cannot make it in the NBA?  To wit I said, the GS Warriors are proving that false every night.   i.e. we don't have to go out and make ourselves a Inside dominant team at the risk of giving up our 3 point shooting, then we would be no better than Memphis... are they an example of what you're talking about??

I agree if you mean we need to balance our three point shooting with inside play but that's not what you said.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Lurker said:

I think you have to understand that Carroll was a chemistry guy here.  He didn't show up on the stats, but his defense and his work inside hid the problems we see with our frontcourt now.  Sap is great.. a beast even, but Horf if he's not playing inspired is a logjam, undersized big.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

As anything, that can be interpreted several ways.  Are you saying that A 3 point shooting team cannot make it in the NBA?  To wit I said, the GS Warriors are proving that false every night.   i.e. we don't have to go out and make ourselves a Inside dominant team at the risk of giving up our 3 point shooting, then we would be no better than Memphis... are they an example of what you're talking about??

I agree if you mean we need to balance our three point shooting with inside play but that's not what you said.

balance, and Golden State rebounds better than Atlanta.  Golden State is fourth in the NBA in total rebounding,  Atlanta 3rd from last.  Golden State averages 3 more rebounds per game on the offensive end than Atlanta.  They get second chances OFF 3 pointers. Atlanta is one and done.

• Like 1

Golden State has great shooters who actually make shots and their glue guy isn't playing in Toronto.  They were smart and paid Draymond.  There is no comparison between Golden State and Atlanta/

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Lurker said:

You were saying...

No this team is not making the playoffs this year. They will be lucky to win 30 games.

I would bet my house they will win 30 games let alone be "lucky" to do that.  That is the same kind of hyperbole that promotes tanking in a season where there are 15 teams with fewer wins 31% of the way through the season.  There is just no way to effectively tank for the top this year.  Pretending like this team will only win 16 of their next 56 games is just pretending for the sake of being dramatic.  

Nobody is happy with the way the team is slumping right now but this thread reminds me of my 6 year old crying about how it is the worst thing in the world that he has to pick up his legos.  Have some perspective that ties out to reality.  This team is on track this season to be a mediocre playoff team, not to become a team worse than than the 2014-15 Orlando Magic or the Hawks of Marvin's rookie season (who both won games at a higher rate than you are saying the team would be lucky to win going forward).

• Like 1