• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Korver biggest reason for Hawks decline, not the lost of DMC.

Hawkmoor

7 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Last nights 16 point effort has proven that it is Korver, and NOT the lost of DMC that has the Hawks in a prolonged tailspin going back to the Allstar Break last year.  They HAD DMC on the roster after the allstar break, and were in a funk.  DMC'S lost does hurt. He DID provide more consistent scoring from the small forward position, but its Korver's jumpshot that REALLY makes this team go.   Korver MAKES THIS TEAM GO.  Not Milsap, Not Horford, Not Teague, Not Dennis. Korver is the KEY to this team.

Ive said this over and over. If the Hawks can HIT their shots, their lack of rebounding doesnt matter. Last nights game was a perfect example.  Dallas did well on the boards, but Teague AND Korver negated that.   

So, going forward, either Korver needs to be benched, replaced, or get his shot together, OR a rebounding center needs to be brought in.  I  personally dont think getting a legit small foward will change the Hawks, unless said small forward is a big time scorer.

Watch in this clip, how the big comes out to double team Korver on the wing, and it opens up the paint for a Scott layup:

image.gif

You collapse the paint on defense, this what Korver did CONSISTENTLY at one time:

image.gif

Yeah when Korver is hot, Hawks' offense is nice. Now when Teague AND Korver are playing well they're difficult to beat. It's just can we get this type of play from both during the playoffs.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

I disagree.  The Hawks have the SAME weaknesses now, that they had WHEN they went on that undefeated streak. last year. THATS what SOME people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around.  Heck, the voters for the allstar game last year didnt even see it.  Korver got there because of a injury.  Some people in this thread DO see it.  

Korvers's HOT shooting COVERED UP all the weakneeses the Hawks have.  There were even periods DURING the streak that the Hawks weaknesses got exposed.  Thats why this team hasnt been the same since the allstar break last year.

Korver covered up a roster with a design flaw.  That flaw is Sap/Horford as  your bigs.   For the first time in his career, he was OPTION ONE on offense.  I dont care  how much the Hawks swung the ball around, Korver was option one on offense.  THAT enabled him to find a shooting groove he never had.  Once he calmed down, the Hawks havent been the same team.

Don't get me wrong, I said the same thing for much of last year.  So, I don't disagree with you on how important he is.  I just can't come to the same conclusion that he is THE single biggest cause of our decline because I don't think it's just one thing.  I think it's a combination of everything.

1 hour ago, BigDog90 said:

Yeah when Korver is hot, Hawks' offense is nice. Now when Teague AND Korver are playing well they're difficult to beat. It's just can we get this type of play from both during the playoffs.

Totally agree with this.

4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Don't get me wrong, I said the same thing for much of last year.  So, I don't disagree with you on how important he is.  I just can't come to the same conclusion that he is THE single biggest cause of our decline because I don't think it's just one thing.  I think it's a combination of everything.

Totally agree with this.

Cool.  On a side note, to show how important Korver is, Bud has refused to bench him. So, Korver is part of the solution, if not the whole solution.

• Premium Member

I think Teague being aggressive is the key factor to this team doing well. Korver going off just helps teams play scramble defense. This team plays at it's best when points in the paint are high and we have at least 25 or more team assist....cause when that happens we get open three point shots,which has a better chance of falling. Korver is a major factor to our team, but this team goes how Teague plays.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark Bradley of the AJC agrees with me on this point. He wrote about it last night.  He said EXACTLY what i said, teams figured out, " you shackle Korver, you diminish the four others."  The Hawks FED off Korver the first half of last season.  Think back, at one point, NBA people were saying KORVER, not CURRY, was the best shooter in the NBA.  For about 3 months, he was definitely in the conversation, and the Hawks fed off that.  Once Korver grew cold after the ALLSTAR break, the Hawks were NEVER the same team.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 4

On 2/3/2016 at 10:53 PM, QuantumHawkz said:

But I also think this team is missing a consistent 3 point threat. Which DMC was.

He was more than that. He was a elite off the ball player on offense as well. That's the part that make teams hate playing v. Us. Now with Bazemore and Thabo, we don't have that element anymore and its easy just to focus on Korver and let Bazemore  lose you games.

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He was more than that. He was a elite off the ball player on offense as well. That's the part that make teams hate playing v. Us. Now with Bazemore and Thabo, we don't have that element anymore and its easy just to focus on Korver and let Bazemore  lose you games.

I know WHY people keep saying the Hawks miss DMC.........BUT...........my point is, the Hawks HAD DMC on their roster all last year, and this team was STILL never the same after the allstar break. What i WILL say he is they would be a BETTER team with DMC, but without Korver hitting 3s, they not that team that went on that long winning streak last year.  DMC fed off Korver last year behind the 3 point line.

What im trying to say is, sure, DMC is missed, but Korver was that MAIN ingredient that made the whole soup spectacular.

Edited by Hawkmoor

50 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Mark Bradley of the AJC agrees with me on this point. He wrote about it last night.  He said EXACTLY what i said, teams figured out, " you shackle Korver, you diminish the four others."  The Hawks FED off Korver the first half of last season.  Think back, at one point, NBA people were saying KORVER, not CURRY, was the best shooter in the NBA.  For about 3 months, he was definitely in the conversation, and the Hawks fed off that.  Once Korver grew cold after the ALLSTAR break, the Hawks were NEVER the same team.

You do realize this statement destroys your credibility, right?

28 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I know WHY people keep saying the Hawks miss DMC.........BUT...........my point is, the Hawks HAD DMC on their roster all last year, and this team was STILL never the same after the allstar break. What i WILL say he is they would be a BETTER team with DMC, but without Korver hitting 3s, they not that team that went on that long winning streak last year.  DMC fed off Korver last year behind the 3 point line.

What im trying to say is, sure, DMC is missed, but Korver was that MAIN ingredient that made the whole soup spectacular.

They were still a 60% chance of winning last year in the starting five. That's amazing.

43 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Cosign. 

In general, this team doesn't have a starting 2 or 3. This should be  known at this point. So I get the "We miss DMC" stuff.  However, Korver's impact on the game is undeniable when he's on. It was on display all last year. 

We don't have a #1 option so what Korver brought to the table was invaluable .  His 3 point shooting and defense improved while demanding the opposing team to tinker their gameplan towards stopping him.  It's why us getting a starting two and three in the off season isn't guaranteeing another season like last season. Korver was simply ridiculous and his decline is heavily contributing to this team falling off. 

• Like 1

@Guard Exactly. Bringing in another small forward isnt gonna suddenly make the Hawks be the same team they were last year before the allstar break.  I hate to say it, but Barkley was right, the Hawks were a fluke because they dont have the talent Golden State has, to maintain what they both did at the beginning of last season.  Bud REFUSES to adapt this team and balance it out by getting Sap more help up front. He can keep Horford on the perimeter, but the Hawks need a bigger lineup.  I still say Sap should be that small forward people want.  A frontline of Sap/Horford/Howard would wreck havoc because you can keep Horford out on the wing, and let Howard cleanup the boards, with Sap cutting to the basket.

• Like 1