• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With whom are you replacing Big Al?

HawkItus

I see trade Al.

Let Al walk.

My question is who fills that black hole at center when he is gone?  Lest you forget we struggled to fill the middle until Horf got here.  We need a guy who can play both ways, shoot, pass, and run the floor proficiently.    Where is the unicorn the rest of the league is not going to overpay that will welcome a trip to Atlanta?  Even at a cheaper rate a FA acquisition is going to be more costly at center because we can go over the cap to sign them.   I just don't see the reality of moving him without blowing the whole thing up and playing the lottery. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

If he walks, and from what I see, there's actually a higher percentage than you may think of a possibility of him doing so, it means a teardown and rebuild.

The rumor is he wants the full max and the Hawks are iffy on that.

That is losing a push hand at poker.  If all that keeps him from walking is the max and other teams are willing to pay the max to get him.   Then you keep him and trade him when it behooves you.  I never understood why fans are so quick to save a billionaire money on a product you will pay the same price to see, win or lose.   Sign Al.   Don't let him walk for nothing.  

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

That is losing a push hand at poker.  If all that keeps him from walking is the max and other teams are willing to pay the max to get him.   Then you keep him and trade him when it behooves you.  I never understood why fans are so quick to save a billionaire money on a product you will pay the same price to see, win or lose.   Sign Al.   Don't let him walk for nothing.  

Just sign him to a five year max and trade him when it behooves you?  It's not that easy.  I get that Al holds a sentimental place in alot of Hawks' fans hearts, but forking over a full max is not going to be an easy decision to make.  And if they do and regret it later, moving that contract won't be that easy especially if his game declines further.

• Like 1

Yea hes not going anywhere without a damn haul ppl - I was looking at a few articles out last month ranking nba s top players Al was in top 4 centers in both of them.  Just saying hes a unique player - and is a commodity on the open market.  Wildly held as the 3rd or 4th best free agent coming out and then a steep drop after that, we dont really have much of a choice.  

I forget who said this (I think it was @JayBirdHawk) but I'll go ahead and steal the idea, simply convince him he needs to take a short/max deal so he can take advantage of the next uptick in the CBA (or whatever) before he gets too old.  Short max and we'll be fine.  See, problem solved.  Now where do I sign up for some GM salary?

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks moved Joe's contract which was considered the worst contract ever, I think moving Al's won't be a problem.

Not saying it can't be moved.  But the Hawks caught a big time break with Billy King.  Otherwise, Joe might very well still be a Hawk.

The thought of another Joe Johnson deal has some people frozen in time. Like I stated previously, the situations are different. 

When Joe was signed the cap was a static number while Joe's salary increased every year.

With Al's situation, the Cap increases by a wider margin than Al's annual increase at least from 2017.

I would love for Al to take a shorter deal.

If he doesn't,  it ain my money!!!

11 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Not saying it can't be moved.  But the Hawks caught a big time break with Billy King.  Otherwise, Joe might very well still be a Hawk.

I think it was more of DF coming in and shaking things up (yes he had to find a taker). The ASG Gearons were content with Joe, DF wasn't. 

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

The thought of another Joe Johnson deal has some people frozen in time. Like I stated previously, the situations are different. 

When Joe was signed the cap was a static number while Joe's salary increased every year.

With Al's situation, the Cap increases by a wider margin than Al's annual increase at least from 2017.

Even so, Joe is a guard.  Big men traditionally last longer and keep their value longer.  KG, Shaq, Elton Brand, Tyson Chandler, Big Z,  Deek.   Especially guys who don't rely on athleticism.  Al might shoot 3's in a second life until he is 40.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think it was more of DF coming in and shaking things up (yes he had to find a taker). The ASG Gearons were content with Joe, DF wasn't. 

That's true, but Brooklyn's willingness to take that contract was a vital part of the equation.  To this day, try as they might, Brooklyn can't even give Joe Johnson's contract away.

1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

That's true, but Brooklyn's willingness to take that contract was a vital part of the equation.  To this day, try as they might, Brooklyn can't even give Joe Johnson's contract away.

You only need one team to want the contract. Of course they can't give it away NOW. Last year of the deal and there aren't teams looking for a huge expiring to clear cap space for next season.  I don't remember them actively trying to move his contract even after they bought out Deron until now.

Most of these fans have no 2nd option to get at center. It is the fear of him walking or paying him what he deserves which scares our fans. They will mention names who will never sign here as FA's and then talk about well, well, what about rebuilding. Al is likely going to be here in two weeks. As is most of the roster. I would say all of it with the exception of a minor trade or two. 

10 hours ago, HawkItus said:

I see trade Al.

Let Al walk.

My question is who fills that black hole at center when he is gone?  Lest you forget we struggled to fill the middle until Horf got here.  We need a guy who can play both ways, shoot, pass, and run the floor proficiently.    Where is the unicorn the rest of the league is not going to overpay that will welcome a trip to Atlanta?  Even at a cheaper rate a FA acquisition is going to be more costly at center because we can go over the cap to sign them.   I just don't see the reality of moving him without blowing the whole thing up and playing the lottery. 

Splitter but I don't see him playing traditional starters minutes. He'd probably split time with his backup. I think Donatas Motiejunas would be a good look at C. Shooting 3s is actually apart of his skill set, he'd just have to learn the Hawks' system.