• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Oh Really Hawks?

Jody23

• Premium Member

The 76ers were prepared to make major changes to their roster to get a coveted point guard at Thursday's NBA trade deadline.

The team offered packages that included some combination of shooting guard Nik Stauskas, point guard Ish Smith, a player with an expiring guaranteed contract and a 2016 first-round pick to the Atlanta Hawks for point guard Dennis Schröder, according to multiple league sources.

Former Sixer JaKarr Sampson was said to be player with the expiring contract in the deal. According to NBA rules, Smith could not have been part of a multi-player deal since he had been acquired by the Sixers fewer than 60 days before. But he could have been traded alone in a second deal.

The uncertainty surrounding the re-signing of Smith this summer was a holdup for the Hawks, according to one of the sources. The point guard, whose stock rose this season, is expected to have plenty of suitors when he becomes a free agent this summer.

Atlanta ultimately decided to keep Schröder, their standout backup. However, a source expects the Sixers and Hawks to revisit trade talks for him during the NBA draft on June 23.

Schröder is signed to the end of the 2016-17 season. The Hawks have the option to offer him a qualifying offer for $3.8 million in 2017-18. A source said that the Sixers are prepared to sign him a maximum-salary deal.

Only 22, the Sixers believe he can lead them at a high level well into the future. The third-year veteran out of Germany is one of the league's top up-and-coming talents. He has improved to the point that the Hawks considered trading starting point guard Jeff Teague to make room for Schröder.

The 6-foot-1, 172-pounder averages 11.2 points, 4.7 assists and 21 minutes in 56 games, with six starts.

The Sixers acquired Stauskas from the Sacramento Kings in July. While he's shown for flashes of skill, the second-year player from Canada has mostly struggled in the NBA.

The team reacquired Smith in a trade with the New Orleans Pelicans on Dec. 24. He's been a sparkplug for the organization. But there's a sense the team believes that the 27-year-old is more of a backup point guard than a long-term option.

Smith first came to the Sixers in February, 2016. However, they chose not to resign him last summer.

The Sixers waived Sampson on Thursday to make room on the roster for Detroit Pistons reserve center Joel Anthony in the three-team with the Sixers, Pistons and Houston Rockets that was voided on Monday. Sampson signed a two-year deal with the Denver Nuggets on Monday.

The pick the Sixers offered to the Hawks was one of the protected ones they have from the Los Angeles Lakers (top 3), Miami Heat (top 10) and Oklahoma City Thunder (top 15).

kpompey@phillynews.com

Glad the Hawks passed.

No guarantee that we could resign Ish (a career journey man) - no bird rights.  Didn't need another SG in Staukus.

I heard the picks weren't any of top picks but rather a late first 18-22

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Glad the Hawks passed.

No guarantee that we could resign Ish (a career journey man) - no bird rights.  Didn't need another SG in Staukus.

I read the article.  They offered the Lakers first.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Glad the Hawks passed.

Did you read the part about them revisiting trade talks during the draft?

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I read the article.  They offered the Lakers first.

We don't know that.  It said...

"The pick the Sixers offered to the Hawks was one of the protected ones they have from the Los Angeles Lakers (top 3), Miami Heat (top 10) and Oklahoma City Thunder (top 15)."

It was ONE of those picks and I'm guessing it wasn't the Lakers pick.

I mean, the Hawks even considering that (if true) is just dumb.  And they want to revisit this?

Unless it was the Lakers pick (highly unlikely), then I am glad we didn't do this deal. Dennis is the future, he's shown that with last night's game and this past weekend. He still has some growing pains (shot selection) but his ceiling is higher then whatever Teague has left (assuming Teague hasn't peaked). 

It's fine to revisit this deal once the season ends, then we'll know where the Sixers' picks will be. I'm not trading Dennis for a mid-to-late 1st rounder, but I would trade Teague for the same offer. 

Do any of y'all actually believe this nonsense?  This is just another supposed insider taking bits and pieces of truth(sic) and putting together a distorted puzzle that juuuuust true enough to fool folks into thinking he's breaking some "news".

Did the 6ers make an offer?  Probably.

Did it include a 1st?  Probably.

Did the offer include crap players they don't even want (Stauskas, Sampson)?  Probably

Do they need a point?  Probably?

Do we have a surplus?  Probably, but the package would have to include a point coming back hence the inclusion of Smith even though he can't even be traded in this scenario (oh, but wait, it could be a 2nd, unrelated deal; yesh, let's go with that)

Are there enough 'Probably's to sound believable? ....... Probably

This article is trash.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Do any of y'all actually believe this nonsense?  This is just another supposed insider taking bits and pieces of truth(sic) and putting together a distorted puzzle that juuuuust true enough to fool folks into thinking he's breaking some "news".

Did the 6ers make an offer?  Probably.

Did it include a 1st?  Probably.

Did the offer include crap players they don't even want (Stauskas, Sampson)?  Probably

Do they need a point?  Probably?  Do we have a surplus?  Probably, but the package would have to include a point coming back hence the inclusion of Smith even though he can't even be traded in this scenario (oh, but wait, it could be a 2nd, unrelated deal; yesh, let's go with that)

Are there enough 'Probably's to sound believable? ....... Probably

This article is trash.

I hope so.  I think you could and should trade anybody on this team to make you better, but that scenario is all kinds of awful.

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The Sixers had several articles specifically on Jeff last week. 

Jeff has much higher trade value than Dennis. He can help a young team a lot more than Dennis. 

Brett Brown and Teague's dad were college roommates...

Just now, Jody23 said:

I hope so.  I think you could and should trade anybody on this team to make you better, but that scenario is all kinds of awful.

Eggsactly, which is why I refuse to believe a word of it.  Why would we want any of those players even on a buyout?  And we were supposedly contemplating trading Dennis for them clowns?  Please.  No "journalist" worth a crap would run with that nonsense.

That's like us offering Shelvin to UTA for Hayward.  Technically, yeah we made an offer and technically UTA "considered" it.  But no one in their right mind would run that story as if it was something real.