• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Better coach

Who do you guys think is a better coach between Bud and Brad Stevens? I know a lot of people are saying Brad is better these days but for my money it's Bud all the way.

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Stevens. Bud is a great coach but he's stubborn and his sub patterns can be wack.

It's certainly an interesting conversation.  I agree Budz stubbornness is troubling, however, i think Stevens roster makeup should be considered.

He has no real ego guys or guys with enough league experience to question much of what he says.  It's basically a college roster so his greatness (sic) shld be asterisked until he really has to manage a bunch of vets.

Them trying to add "stars" will likely have diminishing results IMHO.

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It's certainly an interesting conversation.  I agree Budz stubbornness is troubling, however, i think Stevens roster makeup should be considered.

He has no real ego guys or guys with enough league experience to question much of what he says.  It's basically a college roster so his greatness (sic) shld be asterisked until he really has to manage a bunch of vets.

Them trying to add "stars" will likely have diminishing results IMHO.

I thought Stevens was better last year. This year, I still feel the same way. Bud is a top tier coach.

For what its worth they both are very good coaches, and as hard as it is to imagine I do think Stevens has had less talent to work with overall, and a younger less veteran squad at that. Here is what intrigues me, Stevens openly praised Bud and Hawks coaching and player development and admitted to mimicking our system because they were in a similar position of not having a true star player.  I think he told the media more than once that he wanted his team to play like ours during the season last year, saying we were their example. This to me says that Bud deserves credit from Stevens for much of his teams success as Bud laid the blue print for how to win as a team in the NBA.  But I also have to give a lot of praise to Stevens for having the humility to adapt his personal principles on the fly  along side new ideas because it gave his team the best chance to win, and it is working, big time for them.

That to me is the biggest sign of a great coach. Is the success of the team bigger than your own system. Do you force players to play your way or the highway or do you put them in a position to play to the best of their abilities a maximize their unique gifts. Both coaches do that, Both excel in player development, But if I gave both of them the same roster Id give Stevens a chance for more longevity as he seems to not only be tougher and firm about his expectations but he is more open to learning and growing as a coach, where as Bud seems believe his current philosophy will stand the test of time coupled with a very relaxed approach that just give it time and things will fix themselves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I thought Stevens was better last year. This year, I still feel the same way. Bud is a top tier coach.

I don't disagree entirely.  I just struggle to praise anything in green/white. :cool:

• Admin

Last year Bud had a better year ... this year I think Stevens deserves the coach of the year (although Kerr will get it for all of Walton's wins).  

I don't think one is a better coach then the other ... they are both excellent coaches and are able to do a lot with less talent

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Who do you guys think is a better coach between Bud and Brad Stevens? I know a lot of people are saying Brad is better these days but for my money it's Bud all the way.

Bud. Brad hadn't did nothing. All he did was make the playoffs in his second year. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

For what its worth they both are very good coaches, and as hard as it is to imagine I do think Stevens has had less talent to work with overall, and a younger less veteran squad at that. Here is what intrigues me, Stevens openly praised Bud and Hawks coaching and player development and admitted to mimicking our system because they were in a similar position of not having a true star player.  I think he told the media more than once that he wanted his team to play like ours during the season last year, saying we were their example. This to me says that Bud deserves credit from Stevens for much of his teams success as Bud laid the blue print for how to win as a team in the NBA.  But I also have to give a lot of praise to Stevens for having the humility to adapt his personal principles on the fly  along side new ideas because it gave his team the best chance to win, and it is working, big time for them.

That to me is the biggest sign of a great coach. Is the success of the team bigger than your own system. Do you force players to play your way or the highway or do you put them in a position to play to the best of their abilities a maximize their unique gifts. Both coaches do that, Both excel in player development, But if I gave both of them the same roster Id give Stevens a chance for more longevity as he seems to not only be tougher and firm about his expectations but he is more open to learning and growing as a coach, where as Bud seems believe his current philosophy will stand the test of time coupled with a very relaxed approach that just give it time and things will fix themselves.

The talent question is actually a good question.

Crowder is better than most of what we have.  His efficiency is through the roof.  He also plays solid defense.

Isaiah Thomas is no slouch either.

I have to agree with what was said earlier, he has young players.  I think about when Doc Rivers first started coaching and he was coach of the Magic.   He had a young team that would run through walls for him.   That team was great.    When you have young players with talent, you can do everything but win in the playoffs.  So I guess we have to wait and watch.

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

Last year Bud had a better year ... this year I think Stevens deserves the coach of the year (although Kerr will get it for all of Walton's wins).  

I don't think one is a better coach then the other ... they are both excellent coaches and are able to do a lot with less talent

What about Popp?

They're both outstanding and developmental gurus.  Baze, DeMarre, Isiaih Thomas, Olynyk, Sully, and Money Mike could possibly all be pondering going overseas had they played under some of these hacks instead of their time spent with Stevens and Bud.  They should get small percentage kick-backs for the money they're helping these guys make.

I'd like to see another year to make a distinction, though.  If the playoffs ended today we'd meet them in the second round  then we'd really have concrete data.   Say what you will about Ainge but I think Stevens clearly has the edge there.  This summer will be key in the directions of both franchises going forward.

• Like 1