• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Horford era has been the most successful era in Atlanta Hawks History. Why the hate for this team from the fanbase?

NBASupes

• Moderators

Horf has owned Noah's performance both for career and this season.  Don't let the fact that he is not a superstar distract from the fact he is very good.  He's a good #3 on a championship team and is much better than many feistier players including Noah.  Watch what both get as FAs and you'll see GMs agree

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We have had our best win percentage, defensive percentages, wins, playoff success and ownership during the Horford era than any time in ATLANTA Hawks history. Why is our fanbase so down on this team and especially Horford who by all accounts had been our best player since Dominique Wilkins? Some can say Iso Joe but even the advanced percentages say Horford was our best player from year two on forward. Some will say Deke but Deke's better year in Atlanta was not as good as Horford's 09-10. Some will say Lou Hudson but he measures up with Mookie better than Al in terms of Hawks impact. 

The Horford Era- 45.6 wins (411 wins). When Horford wasn't out for two years and played: 356 wins - 188 losses (Al was 23-17 during his injury years). During the Nique Era- 38.9 wins (467 wins) and the year where Nique was traded the 34-15 year.  His overall wins 467-466. 

The Nique era was the 2nd best in Hawks history to the Horford. Deke was only here for four years. So why the hate by the fans? 

Fans wanted more. I don't blame them. It's a good thing when expectations rise. Look at teams like MIL, they celebrate when they get a playoff win. Fans in ATL want championships. 

• Like 1

"Horf will be better at PF" is still a thing? His advantages are minimal at PF. 

20 minutes ago, thescout5 said:

Noah can be a free agent wouldn't surprise me if the Hawks tried to sign him.They would Al also move him to power forward.

Just a guess but something needs to be done. If he remains at center then Milsap probably needs to be traded. I don't think Sap can play small forward. Sap gets outsized by bigger players and as a hard time scoring. This is 2 yrs in a row where the Hawks have been badly outrebounded vs the Cavs. Horford had 1 rebound last game and that is a problem.

The problem with Al is that his effort and offensive production is becoming more and more inconsistent. Sometimes he seems damn near as robotic in the post as Deke was. He has more value to a team that is looking for that final piece. The Hawks paying him the max just means that they're willing to accept that they will not contend for a title.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

The problem with Al is that his effort and offensive production is becoming more and more inconsistent. Sometimes he seems damn near as robotic in the post as Deke was. He has more value to a team that is looking for that final piece. The Hawks paying him the max just means that they're willing to accept that they will not contend for a title.

With the exception of the last two posts, I can see what everyone is saying. Not that I agree but I see what you are saying. 

Has anyone heard any rumors of contenders wanting Horford or All-Stars wanting to play with him?  I haven't.  

He doesn't move the needle for Boston and NY.  Hell, he may bolt up to Minny and ride on Towns' back.  Miami may be a option with his desire to play in front of a Dominican base and rumors of Bosh's career being in jeopardy but his personality isn't exactly Riley-esque.  But in fairness, Joe is even less so.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

Is Horford a winner?  Sure.  With the right pieces he can be part of a successful team, and he's proven that.

The part that bugs me is that he hasn't taken it on himself to step up in the moments he's needed.

It's not the losses in the playoffs to elite teams, it's how we've lost.  In the second round and conference finals you expect to see much more competitive series and for the most part that is true, unless it involves the Hawks...every time the spotlight gets bigger, they get smaller.

Even if Nique has less wins, he has proven he can step up big time on a major stage.  That says a lot more to me than winning the games you're supposed to.

• Like 2

If Horford cares about winning and about loving the city of Atlanta then he should take a pay cut. Specially after his weak ass performance against the Cavs. 

One FTA per game.  TRB% was below Lamar Patterson's.  If he's back at any number I'm suppressing my Hawks Fandom for reals.

The Blazers are still alive in the playoffs without Aldridge, out West no less.  There's no reason why we can't still be in the tournament this same time next season without Alfreida.  The things he provides can be replaced easily and possibly upgraded through depth, just as they were with Joe.  But the things he doesn't provide cannot be tolerated on a team with championship aspirations.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

Is Horford a winner?  Sure.  With the right pieces he can be part of a successful team, and he's proven that.

The part that bugs me is that he hasn't taken it on himself to step up in the moments he's needed.

It's not the losses in the playoffs to elite teams, it's how we've lost.  In the second round and conference finals you expect to see much more competitive series and for the most part that is true, unless it involves the Hawks...every time the spotlight gets bigger, they get smaller.

Even if Nique has less wins, he has proven he can step up big time on a major stage.  That says a lot more to me than winning the games you're supposed to.

JayBird posted on another thread that we have to have a leader to take the next step. That role has been laid at Al's feet for years but he is too calm and apparently wants nothing to do with it. Heck, this year he stopped playing center in reality. Not the leader we need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

One FTA per game.  TRB% was below Lamar Patterson's.  If he's back at any number I'm suppressing my Hawks Fandom for reals.

The Blazers are still alive in the playoffs without Aldridge, out West no less.  There's no reason why we can't still be in the tournament this same time next season without Alfreida.  The things he provides can be replaced easily and possibly upgraded through depth, just as they were with Joe.  But the things he doesn't provide cannot be tolerated on a team with championship aspirations.

Lol, the Blazers played v. Teams that lost Steph Curry, Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. If we played v. Cleveland without LeBron, we are going back to the ECF.

• Like 1

Is there a possibility of signing and trading Al? Not just would a team take on that fat contract but would he be willing to go anywhere that can afford him. I'm thinking most options are teams with losing records. He's hitting his thirties and I'm guessing he would only go to a team one piece away going after the title. If we do lose him I would hope for return even though we might do really well with the cap space. If he stays I would hope he will play like real center! So much money involved.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Is there a possibility of signing and trading Al? Not just would a team take on that fat contract but would he be willing to go anywhere that can afford him. I'm thinking most options are teams with losing records. He's hitting his thirties and I'm guessing he would only go to a team one piece away going after the title. If we do lose him I would hope for return even though we might do really well with the cap space. If he stays I would hope he will play like real center! So much money involved.

The only realistic possibility of that is if a team lacks room under the cap to just sign him outright and the Hawks then agree to a trade.  (Possibly because they think he is leaving for sure and would rather get something back than simply let him walk).