• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Improving through a trade with the 76ers

AtlHomer

• Premium Member

I posted this in another topic and decided to include it here of hopefully getting more feedback.  I am NOT a fan of blowing up the team but making improvements through trades.  I believe we have assets that other teams desire and could get back a package that sets us up for the future without compromising the core.

Philly getting the #1 can work to the Hawks advantage as they will likely take a SF in that spot.  There was talk around the trade deadline that the 76ers were interested in one of our point guards and were considering including one of the young big men in the package.  How about a return package of Grant or Covington along with Noel?  The 76ers can accelerate there progress by getting a floor general and the Hawks can potentially fill two spots, especially if Al decides to move on.   If we add someone like Korver (who started his career) in Philly, it could bring back a larger return, especially if another team got involved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

An ESPN article that discusses the moves the 76ers may make in advance of the draft.  The Hawks have a chance to improve and get younger through trades.  We should have conversations with them as we each has what the other team needs.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15769627/philadelphia-76ers-explore-trades-involving-jahlil-okafor-nerlens-noel

• Premium Member

I think Phi traded Okafor to Bos for the #3 pick plus some other crap. Boston gets their center and Phi uses their picks to take Ingram/Simmons and that point guard guy whose name escapes me at this time.

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think Phi traded Okafor to Bos for the #3 pick plus some other crap. Boston gets their center and Phi uses their picks to take Ingram/Simmons and that point guard guy whose name escapes me at this time.

Kris Dunn.

I wish we could get Okafor from them. If he was ever on the table, we should've given them whatever they wanted. The kid will be a legit All Star.  Noel is a center in a forwards body and Embiids is probably going to be Greg Oden 2.0.

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

Yeah that guy. Phi would have their PG plus Ingram/Simmons plus Saric and Noel and a crap ton of cap space and Embiid if he can ever play. That is actually a pretty decent young core.

Yeah but this ain't a video game.  No way they want all that youth especially with the Colangelos promising a win-now (ish) mentality to contrast Hinkie's regime.

Oh and Okafor won't be an all-star anytime soon unless he goes to a vet-laden team so he can learn to be a professional.  Dude's fat and lazy.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, kg01 said:

Yeah but this ain't a video game.  No way they want all that youth especially with the Colangelos promising a win-now (ish) mentality to contrast Hinkie's regime.

Oh and Okafor won't be an all-star anytime soon unless he goes to a vet-laden team so he can learn to be a professional.  Dude's fat and lazy.

I'm just saying, you look at what they could get in that deal to go with the young guys and it is a nice core. They absolutely need veterans for the  young guys to learn after though.

A great trade in a sense for both teams is this

Teague, Splitter and Muscala

For 

Okafor, Stauskas and Jeremi Grant.

Okafor is a heavily flawed player but he can score extremely well. He is very talented and we do need another big off the bench if we lose Splitter. His potential is decent and maybe very good depending on his work ethic.

Nik is a 3rd SG with average potential. Kinda pricey for his ability or lack thereof and he's not close. Can spot at PG so he is kinda valuable. 

Philly has four PF in Holmes, Landry, Simmons and Saric. Grant while useful isn't worth much in the long run for them.  For us, he's a bigger, taller and slower 1st year Bazemore. He can play both Forward positions and he could be good in the long run for us.

Philly gets a top 10 PG who can do it all well or very well.  He's not #1 or #2 option so he should be a great fit with Coach Brown who was his dad's college roommate. 

Splitter is an average NBA center who is a good backup and has high BBIQ, positioning skills and knows how to play and win. He has a lot of value he can bring to a team like Philly.

They need a stretch big and Moose is just that. Moose is a 3 and D center. Doesn't really protect the rim but for 10 minutes,  he is very effective. 

Overall, we add two 3rd stringers and one backup while trading two backups and one very good starter but we get a very talented center who's a #1 option, a talented tweener forward and a decent SG prospect. This interest me.

On 5/28/2016 at 1:43 AM, Sothron said:

Just like Utah traded Teague to the Jazz for the Burks as the media so put it.  They were hurt when Atlanta asked for their pick, Hood and Burks.

14 hours ago, NBASupes said:

For 

Okafor is a heavily flawed player but he can score extremely well. He is very talented and we do need another big off the bench if we lose Splitter. His potential is decent and maybe very good depending on his work ethic.

Nik is a 3rd SG with average potential. Kinda pricey for his ability or lack thereof and he's not close. Can spot at PG so he is kinda valuable. 

Philly has four PF in Holmes, Landry, Simmons and Saric. Grant while useful isn't worth much in the long run for them.  For us, he's a bigger, taller and slower 1st year Bazemore. He can play both Forward positions and he could be good in the long run for us.

Philly gets a top 10 PG who can do it all well or very well.  He's not #1 or #2 option so he should be a great fit with Coach Brown who was his dad's college roommate. 

Splitter is an average NBA center who is a good backup and has high BBIQ, positioning skills and knows how to play and win. He has a lot of value he can bring to a team like Philly.

They need a stretch big and Moose is just that. Moose is a 3 and D center. Doesn't really protect the rim but for 10 minutes,  he is very effective. 

Overall, we add two 3rd stringers and one backup while trading two backups and one very good starter but we get a very talented center who's a #1 option, a talented tweener forward and a decent SG prospect. This interest me.

That's actually not too bad if you ask me.  Don't think i didn't notice ypu threw in your man-crush Stauskas too.  Do we not re-sign Bazemore in your scenario?

14 hours ago, NBASupes said:

For 

I would. At this point I'm willing to try anything.

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That's actually not too bad if you ask me.  Don't think i didn't notice ypu threw in your man-crush Stauskas too.  Do we not re-sign Bazemore in your scenario?

We would have traded approx. $17 mil in salary and bringing back less, freeing up some capspace. So Bazemore can be back depending upon his cost would still be on the table.

22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We will free up 8.5 mil with this trade so Bazemore will be possible. We have 85.6-8.5=77.1 which is 14.9 million. Gives us a chance to get Bazemore as high as 17.5 million. The likelihood is slim at that amount since Humphries will likely cost 3-5 million. His cap hold is so low that we will need some for him. Hinrich has the best cap hold. We can flip him for a large percentage of his cap hold while the team takes much less like Keith Bogans. Perfect for a SnT upgrade at the point if one is available as a backup.

35 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nik might be the player they throw in. At the end of the day, they might want to extend some of these players they are trading for like Jeff. They would have enough to sign him with their cap space on an extention 

47 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I would. At this point I'm willing to try anything.

Famous last words?

Supes, I wonder if they'd want to re-sign Baze in that scenario.  Figure they'd let Nic and Grant man the minutes left behind?

18 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Famous last words?

Supes, I wonder if they'd want to re-sign Baze in that scenario.  Figure they'd let Nic and Grant man the minutes left behind?

I'm so damn distraught right now I'm not giving things much thought.

37 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Famous last words?

Those two are pretty bad and raw right now. Nik has one of the worst impact ratings this year and it's terrible if you combine both seasons. Like bust terrible.  Grant like Bazemore in LA  flashes talent but he is nowhere near ready to play any minutes for any playoff team right now. He's a 12th man on a playoff team. 

This doesn't negatively effect our need to get a SF or to  retain Bazemore 

Edited by NBASupes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The opportunity to get younger by acquiring quality players through trades is a much better option that going through a rebuild.  Our player development process has been good thus far and I believe they can help whatever assets we get from a trade.