• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What does 14/8 do for us?

Diesel

36 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Hate to break it to you, but Al will be getting a lot more than that. His max is 30% of the salary cap, which is estimated to be $92M (first year salary of ~$27.6M). The max we can offer is 30% of the salary cap with 7.5% raises each year for 5 years.  Other team's max is 30% of the salary cap with only 4.5% raises each year for only 4 years. Thus, I could see the Hawks just matching the max that other teams can give except making it a 5-year deal.

I know how it works. But IMO the Hawks shouldn't offer him the max. Instead I would prefer to offer him the amount of money other teams can offer for four years, but stretch it over five years. 

I don't think he is worth a full max contract.

By the way, I learned the cap for calculating a max contract is a little lower than the actual team salary cap. So I'm quite confident my numbers are correct.

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Uhm.  Noah is done.   Moreover, Sap is probably our best overall player.   I wouldn't touch Sap unless we got a bonafide superstar back.   I mean, let's think for a second...

If Horny gave a call and said.. Melo for Teague and Sap would you do it??

Melo is a bonafide superstar but even then it would be hard to give up 18/8 and great defense for what Melo would bring.   Moving Sap is hard. 

Moving Millsap is more about him becoming a free agent after next season and trying to get a 5 yr deal starting at 30mil. He's probably your best bet to inject youth to this team. 

Also, you say Noah is done but you want to give Dwight the max lol. And where the hell you get melo from my post? I want picks and young talent for sap. 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think if we resign him he will average 18/10 next year. He might be the best we can do. I mean unless Durant but that's not happening.

Al will never average double digit rebounds again.  He has only barely done it once in his career.  18 points per game is possible, though.

14 minutes ago, rd79 said:

I know how it works. But IMO the Hawks shouldn't offer him the max. Instead I would prefer to offer him the amount of money other teams can offer for four years, but stretch it over five years. 

I don't think he is worth a full max contract.

By the way, I learned the cap for calculating a max contract is a little lower than the actual team salary cap. So I'm quite confident my numbers are correct.

Why would Al sign that though? That's basically him playing an extra year for $0. I agree that I don't think we should offer him the full Birds Rights max, but should offer him the max that other teams can offer plus the 5th year with a 4.5% raise from the 4th year.

12 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Why would Al sign that though? That's basically him playing an extra year for $0. I agree that I don't think we should offer him the full Birds Rights max, but should offer him the max that other teams can offer plus the 5th year with a 4.5% raise from the 4th year.

IDK maybe he wants to stay here with his family. Maybe it takes a no trade clause to make him sign. Or the promise to trade Sap, sign someone like D12 and move Al to the four?
I don't like the idea of signing a 30 yr old big man - who already had two season ending injuries and seems to avoid hard contact - to a near max five year contract - only if it gives me more flexibility now like my offer would.

I wouldn't commit to pay him $30 M (like your suggestion would) when he is 35.... I'd rather offer him a 4yr max with 7,5% raises than a 5yr / 4,5%.

Edited by rd79
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rd79 said:

IDK maybe he wants to stay here with his family. Maybe it takes a no trade clause to make him sign. Or the promise to trade Sap, sign someone like D12 and move Al to the four?
I don't like the idea of signing a 30 yr old big man - who already had two season ending injuries and seems to avoid hard contact - to near max five year contract - only if it gives me more flexibility now like my offer would.

I wouldn't commit to pay him $30 M (like your suggestion would) when he is 35.... I'd rather offer him a 4yr max with 7,5% raises than a 5yr / 4,5%.

It would be interesting if we just offered him the same max as other teams - 4 years with 4.5% raises. I'm sure those % raises, 5th year and no trade clause will be huge negotiating points.

44 minutes ago, AHF said:

Al will never average double digit rebounds again.  He has only barely done it once in his career.  18 points per game is possible, though.

Yes, perhaps I overreached on the boards but I just think he will recognize that it's a weakness in his game and work on it this summer. I'll go on record as saying he will average 9 boards a game. 

Edited by Spud2Nique

• Premium Member

He's not that player any more Spud. It kills me to say it but he's scared of contact. Go back and watch tape to see him react to scrums and defensive rebound chances when  he would have to fight for position or through a guy to get a board. He is a completely different player after that second pec tear.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Yes, perhaps I overreached on the boards but I just think he will recognize that it's a weakness in his game and work on it this summer. I'll go on record as saying he will average 9 boards a game. 

You are on for that one!  His median rebounds per game over the last 5 years is 7.3.

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

You are on for that one!  His median rebounds per game over the last 5 years is 7.3.

2008- 9.7

2009- 9.3

2010- 9.9

2011- 9.3

2012- 7.0

2013- 10.2

2014- 8.4

2015- 7.2

2016- 7.3

ya, I think he reverts to his first 4 years in the league and starts grabbing about 9 per. Obviously the Bud system of keeping him on the perimeter has a lot to do with this, but also perhaps the injuries. I just have a feeling that since he is supposedly working on his low post moves this summer, he will work on his boarding as well. The previous 3 summers he had been working on his finesse game, now I think he goes to his power game.

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

2008- 9.7

2009- 9.3

2010- 9.9

2011- 9.3

2012- 7.0

2013- 10.2

2014- 8.4

2015- 7.2

2016- 7.3

ya, I think he reverts to his first 4 years in the league and starts grabbing about 9 per. Obviously the Bud system of keeping him on the perimeter has a lot to do with this, but also perhaps the injuries. I just have a feeling that since he is supposedly working on his low post moves this summer, he will work on his boarding as well. The previous 3 summers he had been working on his finesse game, now I think he goes to his power game.

No he won't.