• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Deandre bembry

gsuteke

On 8/16/2016 at 8:43 AM, Sothron said:

Yep, all the local stuff. We had a DJ waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the time machine in south Ga. where I was brought up that was doing this reggae/rap mix while also putting in organs and horns. Sorta like Pete Rock, now that I think about it. Remember They Reminisce Over You by CL Smooth and Pete Rock? That was the sound he had. Man I miss those days.

Fellow South Georgian too, born and brought up down in Albany. Make that ALLbenny :approved:

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Sothron said:

I was on highway 82 east of you in the vast metropolis of Poulan, between Sylvester and Tifton on 82.

20 hours ago, hazer said:

Fellow South Georgian too, born and brought up down in Albany. Make that ALLbenny :approved:

Its a a small world. I lived in "Allbenny" from 69 to 74. Morningside Elementary, Radium Springs Jr. High, and Dougherty High School ( sophomore year ).

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Thomas said:

Just outside Americus right now myself. Night and day better traffic situation here than the metro. 

My parents and brother live outside Americus, I'm not too far away with my wife in Columbus.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2016 at 3:15 PM, Sothron said:

I was on highway 82 east of you in the vast metropolis of Poulan, between Sylvester and Tifton on 82.

Know that speed trap all too well :pogranichnik:

• Like 2

On 8/19/2016 at 11:11 AM, Buzzard said:

Its a a small world. I lived in "Allbenny" from 69 to 74. Morningside Elementary, Radium Springs Jr. High, and Dougherty High School ( sophomore year ).

Born in AWWWWbenny in '70. Sherwood Elementary, Albany JHS, Westover HS, Darton (Albany Juco) College.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2016 at 7:48 AM, Thomas said:

Just outside Americus right now myself. Night and day better traffic situation here than the metro. 

Know "Ammer-ickus" (what my friends and I jokingly call it) very well too. Many great restaurants for such a small place, but that happens with a college town. Since 75S is a nightmare and 85S ends at Columbus, I jump 19S down to Albany and pass thru Americus about once every month or two visiting parents in AWWWbeny :approved:

• Like 2

On August 18, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Sothron said:

Whoa! I grew up in Sylvester GA. Graduated from Worth Co. In 2002. My grandparents livee in Poulan still on Ousley St. I lived in Albany for three years and moved to Hazlehurst last summer. Small world!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hazer said:

Know "Ammer-ickus" (what my friends and I jokingly call it) very well too. Many great restaurants for such a small place, but that happens with a college town. Since 75S is a nightmare and 85S ends at Columbus, I jump 19S down to Albany and pass thru Americus about once every month or two visiting parents in AWWWbeny :approved:

That's a pretty popular pronunciation of it around here. When we drive into town we call it the AME. It's a plenty big enough place for us these days. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, devilwentdown2GA said:

Whoa! I grew up in Sylvester GA. Graduated from Worth Co. In 2002. My grandparents livee in Poulan still on Ousley St. I lived in Albany for three years and moved to Hazlehurst last summer. Small world!

The reason I know about Hazlehurst is because of driving to Jekyll Island from here. Driftwood Beach and the Driftwood Bistro there are a really nice paradise for us away from home. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 8/21/2016 at 4:15 PM, devilwentdown2GA said:

No way! I lived for like 12 years on Ousley Street in Poulan. Who are they? The Ledfords?

I graduated Worth Co in 94. Go Rams!

• Premium Member
On 8/24/2016 at 1:41 PM, devilwentdown2GA said:

That's crazy. They are the Duckworths.  Ann and Grady. 

We lived right down the street from them. When did they move over there if you don't mind my asking? My family lived on Ousley Street from 1983-1998

Back to #ColderThanFire....another article......

Rookie Local Heroes

A group of first-year players sure to become fan base favorites

1*rSyQnMoBHRRVVUvjv-yMDA.jpeg
Getty Images/Ringer illustration

They’re the rookies every NBA fan base falls in love with. They’re the beacon of hope or the garbage-time superstar — sometimes they’re both. They scrap. They hustle. They get buckets. They’re the players that fans demand coaches give more minutes to. They’re the local heroes: guys who show flashes over the season that only the most ardent followers will appreciate.

Until, in some cases, the playoffs. That’s what happened with two of last year’s local heroes: Miami’s Josh Richardson and Toronto’s Norman Powell, both second-round draft picks. Under the pressure of the playoffs, they shone brighter than ever, and in Powell’s case, even flew like Superman in important moments.

Here are five rookies who will make their fans swoon this season:

The Throwback: DeAndre’ Bembry, Hawks

Bembry might be mistaken as anABA time traveler. He’ll become the first player in league history to wear the no. 95, but he chose the number for a more personal reason than that: ’95 is the year his brother Adrian Potts was born. Potts was killed less than two weeks before the NBA draft, and wearing 95 is Bembry’s way ofhonoring him. Bembry can ball, too. As a 6-foot-6 playmaker, he takes advantage of mismatches on offense and plays versatile defense much like Evan Turner or Andre Iguodala.

Bembry was a star at St. Joseph’s because of his advanced feel for the game. He made great progress as a playmaker during his junior year. He carried that over to summer league, showing patience when probing pick-and-rolls, and accuracy hitting the bullseye on his passes. He still needs to learn how to properly use his body to shimmy into crevices while splitting screens, but he tightened his handle each year of his collegiate career, so a history of progress is there.

The Hawks traded Jeff Teague, promoted Dennis Schröder to starter, and added Jarrett Jack to run their bench. However, in January, Jack tore his ACL, an injury that usually prevents players from returning to their normal level of play for at least 1–2 years. Jack will turn 33 this season, and in the past two years his “normal” wasn’t that hot, to put it lightly. In two years with the Nets, Jack had a 45.4 eFG% and a 28.2 3-point percentage. His 2.1 assist–turnover ratio was solid considering the situation. If he’s any worse than he was in Brooklyn, then it might be only a matter of time before Mike Budenholzer hands the keys to Bembry to run the show off the bench.

Bembry has some work to do, too. He fell to 21st in the first round because of his lack of a reliable outside jumper. He shot just 31.2 percent from 3 in college, and he wasn’t any better in the summer league, missing 10 of his 14 attempts. Bembry needs to revise his mechanics to be effective. He told me at the combine that he knows he needs to work on maintaining his balance and keeping his elbow straight, but it’s more than that. He dips the ball down to his left hip, and sometimes, he releases on the way down. The results aren’t all that bad, though. He shot 35.4 percent on more than 270 catch-and-shoot jumpers in college, so his shot isn’t shattered-glass broken.

Fortunately for Bembry, he landed on a team that knows how to develop shooters. The Atlanta Splash Shooting School has a handful of honor roll graduates, including Kent Bazemore, DeMarre Carroll, Mike Scott, and Paul Millsap — all of whom have experienced tremendous growth since Mike Budenholzer brought his Spursian voodoo to town in 2013.

10 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Who are the other 4 rookies? Just curious? I see one of them in the picture is McCaw of GS...not sure who the Bucks guy is... Then 2 more not pictured.

The Little Guy: Tyler Ulis, Suns

The Young Vet: Malcolm Brogdon, Bucks

The Bat Signal: Caris LeVert, Nets

The Archetype: Patrick McCaw, Warriors

Link:

https://theringer.com/meet-the-new-nba-rookie-local-heroes-290bc16a927d#.z1dtfjlzx