• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Deandre bembry

gsuteke

3 hours ago, High5 said:

I like Bembry too, but there aren't many minutes available unless someone we're counting on ahead of him disappoints or gets injured. He could spend most of the season in the D-League because of that. 

The only person ahead of him is THJr so he'd better be ready or he'll see more DNP-CD.

I do agree that he'll spend time in DL.

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The only person ahead of him is THJr so he'd better be ready or he'll see more DNP-CD.

I do agree that he'll spend time in DL.

While I like him most at the 2 based on what I've seen, I was giving him the benefit of supposedly being able to play 1-3. It's possible Delaney sucks and/or Jack isn't fully recovered and Bembry steals some minutes there. It's also possible Bembry proves to me more NBA ready than Prince and steals some minutes there. But I think we really need THJ's scoring, Delaney's shooting, and Prince's size more than what Bembry will likely offer as a rookie. So in a way I'm hoping we don't see him much this season.

5 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I think Bembry is going to be better then Prince

Tough to say. They are both good at what they do and stick to what they are good at. I'm gonna say Prince will be the better pro but we will see after 2-5 years.

• Premium Member

I am comparing our two rookies to players in the NBA during their college careers to get a bit of an estimate of how good they can be if things go in our favor.

I think Bembry is similar to players like Andre Igoudala and Evan Turner being that he is a 2/3 who can handle the ball and create for others. The main difference is that he is less athletic than a young Igoudala but has a more versatile offensive game. But he is also more athletic than Evan Turner and a better defender. I would like to add in Jimmy Butler but I want to see how much of a post up game he has before adding that in. I hear its pretty good.

Prince is hard to tell. To me, he is the  kind of player that can be chiseled into something great or be average. Coming out of college he has a NBA ready body and a decent jump shot and has the potential to be a good post up player at the wing.

Most people say that he is going to be the next Demarre Carroll.  I think that he could be somewhere between Harrison Barnes and Kawhi Leonard. He is very similar to them when they were coming out of college physically and unlike Leonard he has a pretty good jump shot         ( Leonard was a terrible college three point shooter). The main difference is that Prince isn't as athletic as either of them and that could hinder him from being as good. I am not saying he is unathletic, but from what I've seen he is a good lob target, but isn't a guy that posterizes people much. I don't  know if its a lack of athleticism or his dribble slowing him down but he can still be a great player.

Edited by aali34

With the way we feel now on the Squawk I'd say the draft was very strong for us even with some of our knee jerk reactions on our first pick on draft night. Lots of confidence in our new guys. With knowing that Jeff was probably gone sometime soon we adjusted and now have two young pieces instead of one that will fit for the near future. Second round pick of Cordinier looks really promising for down the road as well. Think we will look back at some point and be pretty happy and posting about them a lot.    

• Like 3

Hawks’ Bembry opening eyes of coaches, teammates with versatility

The first-round draft pick touted his versatility after the Hawks selected the 6-foot-6 forward with the 21st overall pick this year. Despite his size and position don’t sleep on his ability to play with the basketball in his hands.

Bembry said at the Las Vegas Summer League that he could play point guard as well as shooting guard and small forward. He got a chance to open the eyes of coaches and teammates in recent months that one day there may be such an option.

“I have been playing (point guard) a lot this summer, throughout summer league first and then pickup games,” Bembry said during the first days of training camp at the University of Georgia. “After a while, they started to realize that I can play with the ball in my hands. That’s where I wanted to get, gain that trust throughout my teammates. Not just ‘Who is this rookie out here with the ball? Gimme the ball.’ Now, it’s ‘Alright, he got it. Let’s go.’

“I’m not surprised, that’s what I know I can do. But you have to that over time progression that they see it for themselves.”

The opinion of Mike Budenholzer is what really matters. The coach says he can see the potential.

“He’s got a vision, a willingness to pass and a willingness to play unselfishly, as he continues to improve his handle he’ll be better,” Budenholzer said. “I think he’s a high I.Q. player, a guy who could be a second-side playmaker.”

There are those words again. High basketball I.Q. The basketball adjective has been used often to describe Bembry. The Hawks used it when they selected him after three seasons at St. Joseph’s and have during training camp.

“On-court awareness,” Bembry said of his thoughts about the identifier. “Being able to see things before other people can. Seeing plays develop before other people. I love it. You stand out more than other people.”

Bembry, 22, played 101 games at St. Joseph’s and averaged 15.7 points, 6.7 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.4 steals in 36.1 minutes. Last season, he was named the Atlantic 10 Player of the Year.

Standing out will be hard on a Hawks roster loaded with wing players. There is a lengthy list of experienced players at the position, including Kyle Korver, Thabo Sefolosha, Kent Bazemore and Tim Hardaway Jr. The Hawks also added fellow first-round pick Taurean Prince to the mix.

The competition for rotation spots and playing time got underway this summer.

“I wish you guys would have been in (the gym) this summer,” Bembry said. “It’s been battles. Me and Kent Bazemore going at it. Taurean and Thabo Sefolosha going at it. All the battles have been great and competitive. That’s what Coach Bud loves. You have veterans who have been through it (with the Hawks) but you also have me, Taurean, Malcolm (Delaney) and Jarrett Jack. We can go now as well. I feel like it’s going to be hard for Coach Bud.”

Versatility will help Bembry now and in the future, even in playing time is hard to come back once the regular season begins next month.

“You can see that he did it in college,” Prince said of Bembry’s ball-handling ability. “He definitely can do it now. Like everybody, we all have to want to get better.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/basketball/hawks-bembry-opening-eyes-of-coaches-teammates-wit/nshDh/

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

“He’s got a vision, a willingness to pass and a willingness to play unselfishly, as he continues to improve his handle he’ll be better,” Budenholzer said. “I think he’s a high I.Q. player, a guy who could be a second-side playmaker.”

Will be nice having a pair of backcourt guys on the floor at the same time with a strong passing skill set. Curious as to how that will look in preseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aali34 said:

Maybe like Tony Parker and Ginobili.

We can always hope, right? Believe our guys will be a lot of fun to watch. Thinking about Bud's comment about Bembry's vision and thinking about adding that to our very good passing offense we already have sounding like a great match .Really liking our draft more and more.   

• 2 months later...