I know it's early but...

jy23

Does anybody think Minnesota can make the playoffs this year? And if they do would it be possible for us to package our first round picks and move up into the lottery in next years draft? I really like what I see out of that draft class and it would be great to have that option available to us. If we can keep the core together and add a good wing in free agency and then add a star in the draft next year I think we will be on our way to contention honestly. Lots of game changers coming out next year and so many of them are point guards (which I don't believe we will be after) so other great prospects could fall to us at other positions. Just throwing it out there for those who may not be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel lol

I hope Minnesota gets in as the 8th seed in the west but with a worse record than the 8th seed in the east...making their pick (our pick) #15 overall...if that's the case then we are only one pick from the 14th which is lottery so to answer your question...yes...but can we trade both picks for a top 6 or 7 pick...prolly not.

But that's the thing...we won't need a top 6 or 7 to get a great player. There will probably be 5 pgs taken in the top 10 which again will push other guys our way. If we can get in the top 10 we have a shot at some good talent. 

4 minutes ago, jy23 said:

But that's the thing...we won't need a top 6 or 7 to get a great player. There will probably be 5 pgs taken in the top 10 which again will push other guys our way. If we can get in the top 10 we have a shot at some good talent. 

Then yes we can I think. If the Wolves end up at pick 15-20 and we end up at 18-22 and we package both its likely that we could get a top 10 pick. Unless of course the draft is lottery talented only in which case we might get shot down on trying to trade up. But I agree with you, next year's draft looks a LOT better than this year's for sure. I'm a big Ivan Rabb fan. Seen him at Cal playing with Jaylen Brown...both studs.

9 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Then yes we can I think. If the Wolves end up at pick 15-20 and we end up at 18-22 and we package both its likely that we could get a top 10 pick. Unless of course the draft is lottery talented only in which case we might get shot down on trying to trade up. But I agree with you, next year's draft looks a LOT better than this year's for sure. I'm a big Ivan Rabb fan. Seen him at Cal playing with Jaylen Brown...both studs.

Rabb is definitely one of those guys that could be available to us if we could move up. From what I've seen its not just top heavy, although the top is definitely great...there's talent all the way through. And I'm not even factoring in international players bc I haven't seen any of them 

Why would we want Minny to struggle another year? And I agree about Issac

3 minutes ago, jy23 said:

Why would we want Minny to struggle another year? And I agree about Issac

Totally forgot the pick was lottery protected, my mistake. I think 2018?

Edited by RWF

Ya we want Minny to get that 8th seed in the west next year but hopefully no higher seed...and hopefully not miss out on the playoffs either. I actually think Minny can get a 7th or 8th seed in the west next year. They are crazy talented and super young. My guess is 7th or 8th seed next year then possibly a top 4 seed in 2018.

14 minutes ago, RWF said:

Totally forgot the pick was lottery protected, my mistake. I think 2018?

Can't remember the year I just know that it becomes a second rounder after a period of time but I'm hoping we can use it this year. And @Spud2Nique I agree with you about Minny. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

#15 overall...if that's the case then we are only one pick from the 14th which is lottery so to answer your question...yes...

Ugh this is bringing Dejavu; It didn't work out to well  last time :ahf:. Maybe we've learned. 

Edited by ATLien_

12 hours ago, MrYellow said:

2020 if all the previous picks were lottery: 2nd 2020 + 2nd 2021

Thought it was a couple of years away just didn't know exact time. Guys like Issac, Tatum, and Bridges are great wings that should be available to us and Rabb, Bolden and possibly Boatright(if he can develop a better game off the dribble) are bigs that should be available to us. Like our options. 

• Premium Member

Um. Well given that this was considered a weak draft and it was said we tried but couldn't move up with a #12 and a #21 in our duffle bag.... doesn't bode well for moving up to top 10 next draft, or am I missing something?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Um. Well given that this was considered a weak draft and it was said we tried but couldn't move up with a #12 and a #21 in our duffle bag.... doesn't bode well for moving up to top 10 next draft, or am I missing something?

Yeah, good point.

The fact that it was weak made people afraid to trade out of the top bc there wasn't much depth at all...you were only going to be able to get something out of this draft by keeping a high pick of you had one. If we can offer two frost round picks, one of which not far out of the lottery, we should be able to move up. If you're going to trade out of the lottery would you rather end up with Juan Hernangomez (?) and Deandre Bembry (no disrespect bc I like him as a player)....or Grayson Allen and Marques Bolden (used those bc of the Duke connection but there are other great guys you could throw in this range). As prospects it's not even close what the better deal is 

18 hours ago, jy23 said:

Does anybody think Minnesota can make the playoffs this year? And if they do would it be possible for us to package our first round picks and move up into the lottery in next years draft? I really like what I see out of that draft class and it would be great to have that option available to us. If we can keep the core together and add a good wing in free agency and then add a star in the draft next year I think we will be on our way to contention honestly. Lots of game changers coming out next year and so many of them are point guards (which I don't believe we will be after) so other great prospects could fall to us at other positions. Just throwing it out there for those who may not be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel lol

No. I don't think the MINN 2018 1st is worth that much.

6 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

No. I don't think the MINN 2018 1st is worth that much.

If Minny had the 15th pick and we had like 22nd how would that not be enough to move up 4 or 5 spots? If George Hill is enough to get the 15th pick and a second rounder...if Johnny Flynn is worth the 20th pick (I believe) a second round pick AND Brad Miller...and in 2013 basically the exact same trade I'm proposing took place between Utah and Minny. Minnesota traded the 9th pick to Utah for the 14th and 21st picks. 

7 hours ago, sturt said:

Perhaps you haven't thought of it this way:  the draft was so horrible that teams didn't want any extra investments in it.

It's like going to a bad restaurant, you don't order seconds.  Danny Ainge OTOH was sitting on 8 all you can eat coupons.

• Like 2