• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks = Offseason Winner

germanhawk17

Hoping Dennis's career is as an All-Star for us and is able to play his full career here. Think Dirk may indeed have a twenty year career with Dallas and then retire.

• Like 1

@Thomas I hope too, that he will play a looong time in Atl.

He seems to be very comfortable in Atlanta so far. Having a good relationship with Coach Bud, too and getting the trust now as a starting PG.

I think Dirk wohl never leave dallas. I met him twice. He's such a humble and loyal person.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, germanhawk17 said:

@Thomas I hope too, that he will play a looong time in Atl.

He seems to be very comfortable in Atlanta so far. Having a good relationship with Coach Bud, too and getting the trust now as a starting PG.

I think Dirk wohl never leave dallas. I met him twice. He's such a humble and loyal person.

Yeah, Dennis already has a business in Atlanta at a young age so I'm sure he's confident on staying a Hawk a good while.

• Like 2

vor 4 Minuten, Thomas sagte:

Yeah, Dennis already has a business in Atlanta at a young age so I'm sure he's confident on staying a Hawk a good while.

Yeah, he started that to get green cards for his family i think, so that they can be with him in Atlanta. Dennis is a very family oriented guy.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm really not worried about Dennis as the starter.

Off the bench he had to come in and either maintain or change the pace and look of a game.  As a starter, he will set the pace and tone of the game from the start, playing alongside better players where he doesn't feel like it's on him to create a spark. In his interview at the SL game he said 'It's my team now' - loved it.  Take ownership.

The only thing I worry about with Dennis is the promotion going to his head.  I love his confidence but he has to be careful not to come over as arrogant or self-entitled, which can happen when you're a young gun.  I hope Jack is a good mentor for him. 

• Like 3

vor 8 Minuten, ATLSmith sagte:

The only thing I worry about with Dennis is the promotion going to his head.  I love his confidence but he has to be careful not to come over as arrogant or self-entitled, which can happen when you're a young gun.  I hope Jack is a good mentor for him. 

Yes thats right.

In Germany many people don't like him because of his attitude. They call him arrogant and selfish.

But i call this confidence and look at all the great ones... jordan, kobe , james etc... not that i would compare dennis to them, but dennis got this kind of attitude.. and even more important to this point of his career he makes it up with his work ethic. he really wants to be great and does everything to be great.

So i think he will be fine..Also as Coach BUD and maybe Jack will help him with that. If dennis overacts in some way, iam sure BUD will take him to task!

At any rate i rather have a little more to confident guy, as a too passive and restrained type of guy.

Edited by germanhawk17
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, germanhawk17 said:

So i think he will be fine..Also as Coach BUD and maybe Jack will help him with that. If dennis overacts in some way, iam sure BUD will take him to task!

Without a doubt Bud won't have to yank Dennis because of falling asleep on defense or lack of driving on offense. Good bit of his time on the floor in the past occurred because of Jeff being guilty of those two things.  

• Like 1

Team isn't any better off than last season.  You could make a strong argument that the team is worse.  Bottom line this team isn't doing anything in the playoffs and wouldn't win a game against Cleveland if they meet for a third straight playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I guess this is why they play the game.   On paper, you would believe what you wanted to believe.   However, if you don't see how replacing a poor rebounding, poor defending center with a better one makes this team better, then you will have to be shown.

We get past the early season growing pains and adjusting to what we have on the floor and our interior defense and that rebounding should be a very positive difference for us especially when the playoffs come around. If we're knocked out this time I'm betting the rebounding numbers at least will be very different. Not going to think about possible injuries cutting into that. Therein lies our risk.    

Always good to have someone like Alex around who delights in pouring cold water

on the fire!  We need posters like this to keep us humble.

It's true, it will be hard to top the Cavs in the playoffs.  If this is our only reason for being,

then we may be in a sad shape.  Hard to beat a team with "The King" and the NBA all trying

to see to it that we don't.

However, with our new center, ALL the calls may not go to suit Bron.  Atlanta just might get

a call or two that goes our way.

Some people "just know" that all Hawk players are not really as good as all the other players in the NBA

and are positive, like Alex, that the team will utterly fail.

Then, there are others of us who say, "Wait and see!  We're gonna be pretty good! "

• Like 4

This team has a higher ceiling than last year’s team, but a lower floor. If it works it'll be because Howard wasn't a locker room problem and was a positive factor again in what he can do (rebound, post defense, PNR) and Schröder can cut his periods of erratic play in half. If it doesn't it's because Howard didn't become a positive factor again in what he can do and Schröder went totally off the wall.

There is another issue that I've made well known and clear but I won't talk about it here.

13 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Always good to have someone like Alex around who delights in pouring cold water

on the fire!  We need posters like this to keep us humble.

It's true, it will be hard to top the Cavs in the playoffs.  If this is our only reason for being,

then we may be in a sad shape.  Hard to beat a team with "The King" and the NBA all trying

to see to it that we don't.

However, with our new center, ALL the calls may not go to suit Bron.  Atlanta just might get

a call or two that goes our way.

Some people "just know" that all Hawk players are not really as good as all the other players in the NBA

and are positive, like Alex, that the team will utterly fail.

Then, there are others of us who say, "Wait and see!  We're gonna be pretty good! "

To be honest I would think every team in the east has some serious confidence problems with their outlook when it comes to LeBron in the playoffs. Still think LeBron won't score near as often at the rim on us with or without the refs. Now thats thinking half glass full, right? It at least will have a different feeling in that series with the Cavs this year with a center that gives us defense at the rim.

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden, Gray Mule sagte:

Germanhawk17 - - Welcome aboard.  Great to have you.  Very good, thoughtful post for #1.

Forgive your bad English?  What bad English?  Your English is better than most of us here.

I am the oldest rat in this barn and am usually optimistic so it is great to have someone else

who will share happy thoughts about our beloved Hawks.

Looking forward to more of your wisdom.

:applause:

Great to hear that! Thank you!

What a warm welcome by all of you. I am also a optimistic guy and i am looking forward in pure excitment for next season!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

I guess this is why they play the game.   On paper, you would believe what you wanted to believe.   However, if you don't see how replacing a poor rebounding, poor defending center with a better one makes this team better, then you will have to be shown.

Howard is a better rebounder and defensively, sure.  He has no offensive skill and can't stay healthy to begin with.  A broken down old backup point guard in to replace Teague.  Bazemore getting paid entirely too much for the minimal production he provides.  Still don't have any shooters or a go to adoring option.  

8 hours ago, germanhawk17 said:

Hello to every Hawks Fan and every member of this forum !! :)

I am a Hawks fan from Germany.  My love for the Hawks grew 2013, when Dennis was drafted. I always was a big fan of Schröder, since i first saw him play i my hometown gym against some of my old teammates. At this time he played in the third german league.

I always liked his style of play and his confidence and believed he can be a big time player.  Since he was drafted by the hawks i watched nearly every game of atlanta and really became a Die Hard Atlanta Hawks Fan!! This team really got me excited! I still watch every game and am really looking forward for next season. Some time ago i started to read in this forum and now i decided to join the action and discuss with you guys and girl about our beloved hawks.

So enough of my introduction. Lets come back to my headline.

I really believe the Hawks are one of the winner of the offseason and improved their team overall and here is why...!

1) Howard is a big upgrade over Horford for our team:

- Howard will be the much needed Big for us. He will improve our overall rebounding and take this big weakness away. Besides that he can be our rim protector that will make our defense deadly. Just image a defensive lineup with Dennis, Baze, Thabo and Sap. This will be one of the best defensive lineups in the entire league!

- Horford was soft as hell and Howard will bang inside and get us the easy buckets and will make space for our shooters.

- Howard is a media guy and finally atlanta will get some attention!!

2) Resign of Baze and making Dennis a starter:

- These two players are our best young guys with the most upside. Baze is having the athletic abilities and added the shooting last year. He can be a very good player and iam looking for him to get better next season. He also is a very positiv energy guy, that always helps with team chemisty. I think him, dennis and howard will be a good connection.

- Dennis of course is our guy of the future! With the starter minutes he can develop into an allstar! I can imagine he will have a breakout season and maybe will be a MIP candidate. I am also looking forward to his connection with Howard. These to can provide a deadly P&R, that will also give oppurtunities for our shooters.

3) Developing of THJ and our rookies:

- It's the second year of him. He can absolve the whole offseason with the team and according to experience players under Coach BUD often improve dramatically in their second year. So maybe he will surprise us all and can be a scorer/shooter of the bench.

- I also like our rookies. Prince can be the 3 and D player for us at SF that we need so much. Bembry can be another ball handler who will make plays and facilitate. These two just fit in our system and improve our weaknesses.

4) Jarret Jack!

- Very good signing! He can be a scorer of the bench and mentor dennis! This can be huge.. just imagine what steph curry said in his mvp speech! I think BUD also signed him to help dennis develop.

5) Malcom Delaney:

- also a very good acquisition with no risk. He was a very good player in europe and also a big time winner! I am excited how his game will translate to the nba.

So i am really satisfied with the offseason by the hawks so far. I would be perfect if we can sign Humphries again or some shooting of the bench. But at this point iam very happy with the job the hawks organization has done.

So this was my first post and  i hope you will forgive me for my bad english and let me know how you think about the hawks offseason and this team.

I think it was great. I think it was a blessing in disguise that the Millsap trade and Horford resigning didn't work out. It's like the Hawks finally decided they needed to shake things up. Honestly, I thought the Hawks would have gave Horford the full max, let Baze walk, keep Teague and Dennis and trade the pick for an overseas guy at SG/SF that won't come to the US right away and sign somebody like Brandon Rush to start at SF.

I never would have thought Dwight would come to ATL. I figured Cuban would have gave him the max.

• Like 2

Welcome to the board @germanhawk17

I agree with everything you said and will add we were a top tier defense last season but rebounding as usual proved to be our downfall. Both Howard and Dennis are better rebounders than the two players they are replacing. Our two rookies were also good rebounders in college; and I hope once they see the floor, we will see a rebounding improvement with them as well.

We have improved our biggest weakness this off season and that alone is something to be excited about.

Now lets see if Dwight and Dennis can match or better the scoring of Horford and Teague; and maybe Bazemore gives us a little more offense this season as well. Our whole team has essentially been rebuilt in just three seasons and I think they are going to be a fun team to watch grow together from day one and into the playoffs!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3