• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Next Graduate of Bud U... TH2.

Diesel

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He had a +11 in 17 minutes in game 2 but he didn't shoot well.   I think Bud figures if Tim isn't scoring then might as well play someone else who maybe contributes more on D.     I just think that Tim will never be the guy who comes cold off the bench and nails a bunch of jumpers.   So in that respect I'm not sure he's a good fit for Bud.   But i do think he can score in multiple ways that guys like Korver and Thabo and Baze can't.   You just have to stomach some missed shots which i'm not sure Bud can.   In his first 2 years Hardaway was a pretty good scorer, three point shooter, and got to the line some.   That's against NBA competition not college.   I would expect him to improve over that and be solid contributer.   With Dwight on the offensive glass (or Edy) maybe there is more space for Tim to try to score and those guys get some put backs or dunks.   

He was a solid scorer his rookie season.  He was terrible his second year:  38.9% FG%.  That sucks, especially when you are abysmal defensively.  His 34% from 3 that season was not an asset.  That is why the Knicks were looking to unload him and couldn't believe their luck when they got our offer.

His +11 in Game 2 was playing against scrubs when Cleveland already had the game won and didn't mind giving up points.  Kirk Hinrich was +11 that game too.  Pretty sure their 1-5 (THJr) and 1-4 (Kirk) shooting wasn't the reason for that +/- number so much as the fact that they were on the floor when Cleveland was no longer competing.

I do agree he can score in ways that Korver and Thabo and to a lesser extent Baze can't.   The biggest thing he could do is start getting the line more often.  That career 1.7 FGA/gm is not going to cut it for a guy who should be able to draw fouls the way he should be capable of doing.

My ideal season for him is seeing from him what we got from him in March / April last year but consistently over the course of the year.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

He was a solid scorer his rookie season.  He was terrible his second year:  38.9% FG%.  That sucks, especially when you are abysmal defensively.  His 34% from 3 that season was not an asset.  That is why the Knicks were looking to unload him and couldn't believe their luck when they got our offer.

His +11 in Game 2 was playing against scrubs when Cleveland already had the game won and didn't mind giving up points.  Kirk Hinrich was +11 that game too.  Pretty sure their 1-5 (THJr) and 1-4 (Kirk) shooting wasn't the reason for that +/- number so much as the fact that they were on the floor when Cleveland was no longer competing.

I do agree he can score in ways that Korver and Thabo and to a lesser extent Baze can't.   The biggest thing he could do is start getting the line more often.  That career 1.7 FGA/gm is not going to cut it for a guy who should be able to draw fouls the way he should be capable of doing.

My ideal season for him is seeing from him what we got from him in March / April last year but consistently over the course of the year.

Totally agree.   But if you want a guy getting to the line he has to get the ball and have the green light.    Hopefully that happens this year.     I'm just glad we have a guy with the skills to be a scorer rather than just more spot up shooters.    Of course Prince and Bembry look like they may have some of that too.   Early season is a good time to let things fly and see who can prove themselves.      Is it training camp yet?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think he had to benched in the playoffs.    We shortened our rotation, which almost every coach does, and Bud (also like most coaches) relies on experienced vets.   

Interestingly if you look at the stats in the Boston series Tim played 8,11,17 and 16 minutes in the games we won and 4, 0 minutes in the two games we lost.   Not that he did a ton in those games but still.   In the final two games, both wins, he shot 5-12 from the field with 4 assists and 6 rebounds.    Not that significant but still a contribution.   

I guess i'm in between you and Diesel.   I optimistic but based on season one it's hard to imagine Tim moving to a starting role.   I think he has the skills though.    

HEHEHEHEHE...I'm sorry that made me laugh..

Forgive me for not remembering, but wasn't THJR. somewhat injured early last season?

Seems I recall that it was quiet a while before he got to play a lot.  Could this then explain

his lack of experience in "Bud ball" and be the reason for his limited time in the playoffs?

If I'm correct, he should be 100% ready to go when the Hawks open training camp.  Apparently,

he's working out, preparing for the upcoming season.

Any one remember??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Forgive me for not remembering, but wasn't THJR. somewhat injured early last season?

Seems I recall that it was quiet a while before he got to play a lot.  Could this then explain

his lack of experience in "Bud ball" and be the reason for his limited time in the playoffs?

If I'm correct, he should be 100% ready to go when the Hawks open training camp.  Apparently,

he's working out, preparing for the upcoming season.

Any one remember??

Don't know about early season but he injured his wrist in the playoffs but even before that injury his playoff exposure was really bad and he'll have to forget about that and move foward with a lot of coaching in his ear to earn consistent minutes. Think his second year will not have that steep learning curve to overcome and he will play well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimsey said:

Not gonna lie, I'm mad we gave up Kelly Oubre for THJ. Oubre would more than likely be ready to start with a year under the system.

You've got to keep it in proper context though. We traded Oubre for THjr and Isaia Cordinier and another 2nd round pick still to come. It wasn't a 1 for 1 swap.

• Like 1

I have talked about this in a couple posts.   TH2 showed some flashes last season and I am excited to see him this year.   Bud's system is complicated and I think young players have to think about what to do in year one.   I year two they understand the system and react and play inside it without thinking so they play faster and with more confidence.    The wings have the most to "do" in the system and move the most without the ball so comparison to PF's may be a little apples to oranges.   I think TH2 will be a weapon of the bench this year and will be a player non of the pundits are accounting for this season.   

I hope he breaks out and improves like Baze and DMC this year and is in the discussion for 6th man and plays the role Dennis did last year bringing energy and offense to the 2nd unit.