• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Next Graduate of Bud U... TH2.

Diesel

21 minutes ago, Diesel said:

We have seen Bud U work for Millsap, DMC, and Baze.

I think the next graduate of Bud U will be Tim Hardaway Jr.   While we're talking about Prince and Bembry.. I think they still have some time in Bud U.  However, we will still be alright.  THJr will have his breakout season this year. 

Hoping so. Before Baze was signed back I felt THJ could get twenty five plus minutes a game a ways into the season. Believe he is always slotted at SG so that will be a battle for those backup minutes. This being his second year here he should definitely improve more and maybe he will get all those minutes at some point. A lot of bodies there now. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I think the next graduate of Bud U will be Tim Hardaway Jr.   While we're talking about Prince and Bembry.. I think they still have some time in Bud U.  However, we will still be alright.  THJr will have his breakout season this year. 

Agree on Hardaway. But don't forget about Schröder in the list of graduates. He was so raw and flat out bad his first year here, people actually questioned why we drafted him. Two years later, he's the starting PG for what should be a 50+ win team, an upcoming top 10 free agent next season, and a future star in the association.

Hoping by mid season the one, two punch at SG is Baze and then THJ. I do understand that THJ has got to really keep at it. He stated he's hitting the weights a few weeks ago so I'm really curious as to what he physically looks like by game one. There will be minutes available at both swing spots for Korver. 

• Moderators

THJr had to be benched in the playoffs and forced us to overextend Korver in situations where Korver was bringing nothing to the table.  I just hope THJr can be a reliable member of the rotation this season and can be relied on to give Korver some rest.

I am not expecting him to become a world beater by the virtue of "year 2 under Bud."

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

I completely expect TH2 to compete for 6th man of the year.

I expect that TH2 will either be 6th man or he may play his way into a starting role. 

I can easily see him and Baze as our starting 2 and 3. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

THJr had to be benched in the playoffs and forced us to overextend Korver in situations where Korver was bringing nothing to the table.  I just hope THJr can be a reliable member of the rotation this season and can be relied on to give Korver some rest.

I am not expecting him to become a world beater by the virtue of "year 2 under Bud."

Year 2 under Bud is usually a good thing though.

I think we saw bits and pieces of what he could do last year.   I think it's up to him and if he has the drive, he could be another success story under Bud. 

• Moderators

Year 2 is a good thing but I think it is a little overblown.  Year 2 wasn't anything magic for Moose and Patterson.  It wasn't magic for DMC - he did the same things he had always done with an improvement in his jumper (that is a nice improvement but nothing revolutionary).  Baze is the guy who took the biggest jump.  I believe in our development program -- I just don't assume you will see some kind of miraculous improvement where guys go from DNP-CD at the end of the season because the coach can't trust them to starter the next year at a time when the coach actually has more options at the position than he did the previous year.

I have seen nothing to indicate that THJr will compete for 6th Man of the Year.  Crawford averaged roughly 16, 3 and 2 over his two seasons winning that award.  THJr scored 16 points 3 times out of 60 regular season and playoff games last year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AHF said:

Year 2 is a good thing but I think it is a little overblown.  Year 2 wasn't anything magic for Moose and Patterson.  It wasn't magic for DMC - he did the same things he had always done with an improvement in his jumper (that is a nice improvement but nothing revolutionary).  Baze is the guy who took the biggest jump.  I believe in our development program -- I just don't assume you will see some kind of miraculous improvement where guys go from DNP-CD at the end of the season because the coach can't trust them to starter the next year at a time when the coach actually has more options at the position than he did the previous year.

I have seen nothing to indicate that THJr will compete for 6th Man of the Year.  Crawford averaged roughly 16, 3 and 2 over his two seasons winning that award.  THJr scored 16 points 3 times out of 60 regular season and playoff games last year.

Well Moose and Patterson weren't really looked upon to take that jump. I mean when can you really say we needed Patterson or Moose to help us win? 

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't think Moose and Patterson were enrolled in Bud U?  I think that they were on the team but he never gave them developmental minutes the way that he gave Baze and DMC.

You say that DMC didn't change?  I disagree.   DMC picked up his shooting from outside.   Before coming to Atlanta, you can see that DMC had not been a 3 point shooter.  I think in his career, he has shot maybe 100 3 pointers.  By year 2 in Atlanta he had attempted over 300 3 pters and was hitting them at a rate of almost 40%.  Before coming to Atlanta, his offense was blackhole... mainly because he was picking up garbage points.  After being in Bud U, he averaged almost 2 apg. 

Baze did improve also.  Was it a great Jump....   It was a lot going from his first year to his 2nd, however, Baze did show a lot playing with those kobeless Lakers. 

On 7/12/2016 at 0:21 PM, Diesel said:

I totally agree. The positions that have had the most success in Bud U are point guards and wings. Asides from millsap, we haven't seen similar amount of development from the big men. Edy, though, seems to be coming along.

• Moderators
On 7/12/2016 at 3:59 PM, AHF said:

I don't think he had to benched in the playoffs.    We shortened our rotation, which almost every coach does, and Bud (also like most coaches) relies on experienced vets.   

Interestingly if you look at the stats in the Boston series Tim played 8,11,17 and 16 minutes in the games we won and 4, 0 minutes in the two games we lost.   Not that he did a ton in those games but still.   In the final two games, both wins, he shot 5-12 from the field with 4 assists and 6 rebounds.    Not that significant but still a contribution.   

I guess i'm in between you and Diesel.   I optimistic but based on season one it's hard to imagine Tim moving to a starting role.   I think he has the skills though.    

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think he had to benched in the playoffs.    We shortened our rotation, which almost every coach does, and Bud (also like most coaches) relies on experienced vets.   

Interestingly if you look at the stats in the Boston series Tim played 8,11,17 and 16 minutes in the games we won and 4, 0 minutes in the two games we lost.   Not that he did a ton in those games but still.   In the final two games, both wins, he shot 5-12 from the field with 4 assists and 6 rebounds.    Not that significant but still a contribution.   

I guess i'm in between you and Diesel.   I optimistic but based on season one it's hard to imagine Tim moving to a starting role.   I think he has the skills though.    

Seeing how much Korver was struggling I don't know how else to explain a combined 2:53 seconds over the last two games (including one where 11 different guys saw action).  Korver was benched because of his struggles and shot 1-4 in the final game but Bud couldn't find time for THJr at all?  This was a lack of confidence issue.  Our wings badly needed help and Bud felt like he wasn't going to get it from anyone on the bench, including THJr.

I do think he made progress over the season and do expect better things from him this year but the idea that he will be 6th man of the year is big time homerism.  You might as well peg Bazemore for an All-Star slot.

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, AHF said:

It wasn't magic for DMC - he did the same things he had always done with an improvement in his jumper (that is a nice improvement but nothing revolutionary).  

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

You say that DMC didn't change?  I disagree.   DMC picked up his shooting from outside.   Before coming to Atlanta, you can see that DMC had not been a 3 point shooter.  I think in his career, he has shot maybe 100 3 pointers.  By year 2 in Atlanta he had attempted over 300 3 pters and was hitting them at a rate of almost 40%.  Before coming to Atlanta, his offense was blackhole... mainly because he was picking up garbage points.  After being in Bud U, he averaged almost 2 apg. 

So I say that DMC improved his jumper and you disagree by saying he picked up his shooting from outside.

OK.

(As an aside, here are his passing numbers:  Utah 12-13 2.0 ap36, Atl 13-14 2.1 ap36, Atl 14-15 1.9 ap36 LMAO at this being cited as a change in his game due to the transformation of Bud U).

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Seeing how much Korver was struggling I don't know how else to explain a combined 2:53 seconds over the last two games (including one where 11 different guys saw action).  Korver was benched because of his struggles and shot 1-4 in the final game but Bud couldn't find time for THJr at all?  This was a lack of confidence issue.  Our wings badly needed help and Bud felt like he wasn't going to get it from anyone on the bench, including THJr.

I do think he made progress over the season and do expect better things from him this year but the idea that he will be 6th man of the year is big time homerism.  You might as well peg Bazemore for an All-Star slot.

He had a +11 in 17 minutes in game 2 but he didn't shoot well.   I think Bud figures if Tim isn't scoring then might as well play someone else who maybe contributes more on D.     I just think that Tim will never be the guy who comes cold off the bench and nails a bunch of jumpers.   So in that respect I'm not sure he's a good fit for Bud.   But i do think he can score in multiple ways that guys like Korver and Thabo and Baze can't.   You just have to stomach some missed shots which i'm not sure Bud can.   In his first 2 years Hardaway was a pretty good scorer, three point shooter, and got to the line some.   That's against NBA competition not college.   I would expect him to improve over that and be solid contributer.   With Dwight on the offensive glass (or Edy) maybe there is more space for Tim to try to score and those guys get some put backs or dunks.