• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2016 Dynasty Draft Official Thread

AHF

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I think if this was a more mixed bag of players making picks, not just Hawk fans, Rudy goes in the top 100. There were only 5 or 6 players last season that can honestly be called full time SFs who put up 20ppg last season. I do think if you want to be a great team, he needs both a solid defensive PF and Center beside him.

If he ends up being traded to a contender, he is only going to help them. That much I am pretty confident about.

I think he is ideally situated to play a much more limited role and up his efficiency but bear in mind on the teams we are constructing that efficiency is hugely important.

Of the 42 guys who averaged >17 points per game last season (Gay averaged 17.2) Gay ranked 37th in WS/48, 34th in TS%, and 39th in PER which means he was a high volume scorer but one of the least productive players in that entire list per minute.  And that includes some gimmes that keep him from being last like retiring chuck monster Kobe and rough rookie season Jahlil Okafor.

If he plays like he did last season, you are taking the ball away from more efficient scorers to feed that beast in this format. That is why I like a guy like Korver much better than Gay in this format.  Korver won't shoot as much but if you are passing up on a shot for your star to feed one of those guys at least Korver is going to score more points on the same number of shots (he just won't take as many).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Baze was pretty accurate from outside too :-) Good sign for Hawks! Ur bigs of Kristaps n Jonas destroyed me on the glass....I constructed a small run n gun team that's SUPPOSED to defend but if they don't I am facing many blowouts. 

From what I read Brandon Ingram scoring a point per minute is what really did you in... 

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think he is ideally situated to play a much more limited role and up his efficiency but bear in mind on the teams we are constructing that efficiency is hugely important.

Of the 42 guys who averaged >17 points per game last season (Gay averaged 17.2) Gay ranked 37th in WS/48, 34th in TS%, and 39th in PER which means he was a high volume scorer but one of the least productive players in that entire list per minute.  And that includes some gimmes that keep him from being last like retiring chuck monster Kobe and rough rookie season Jahlil Okafor.

If he plays like he did last season, you are taking the ball away from more efficient scorers to feed that beast in this format. That is why I like a guy like Korver much better than Gay in this format.  Korver won't shoot as much but if you are passing up on a shot for your star to feed one of those guys at least Korver is going to score more points on the same number of shots (he just won't take as many).

The only format I see me trying to put together is the best lineup possible if I was a drafting a team. I am not aware of any special format other than trying to do just that. No one, two, or three stats have played a major role in my picks. Some I picked because they are well balanced stars, some I picked because they are scorers, and most on my team have decent rebounding ability.

I can honestly say W/S and/or TS% have not been a deciding factor in any of my picks.  If I  think the player can ball and I like him, I pick him. I do agree with your earlier points to some extent concerning minutes which is why I took Anderson over the more experienced but in my opinion the less multidimensional Gay.

Parsons is my starting SF so that leaves only 16 minutes a game at my SF spot; and that is if I only play Parsons 32 minutes a games. I think Anderson has the potential to play multiple positions. If Gay was my starting SF, I would still think Anderson a good selection due to his versatility.

This is truly my only format: Most NBA Teams only go 8 to 10 players deep once they are in the playoffs. My first goal was the best 8 man rotation; now I am going after the best 10 man rotation I can draft. If I have done well by your format then great; but W/S and TS% have been far removed from my most got to have traits in this draft.

8 hours ago, Buzzard said:

The only format I see me trying to put together is the best lineup possible if I was a drafting a team. I am not aware of any special format other than trying to do just that. No one, two, or three stats have played a major role in my picks. Some I picked because they are well balanced stars, some I picked because they are scorers, and most on my team have decent rebounding ability.

I can honestly say W/S and/or TS% have not been a deciding factor in any of my picks.  If I  think the player can ball and I like him, I pick him. I do agree with your earlier points to some extent concerning minutes which is why I took Anderson over the more experienced but in my opinion the less multidimensional Gay.

Parsons is my starting SF so that leaves only 16 minutes a game at my SF spot; and that is if I only play Parsons 32 minutes a games. I think Anderson has the potential to play multiple positions. If Gay was my starting SF, I would still think Anderson a good selection due to his versatility.

This is truly my only format: Most NBA Teams only go 8 to 10 players deep once they are in the playoffs. My first goal was the best 8 man rotation; now I am going after the best 10 man rotation I can draft. If I have done well by your format then great; but W/S and TS% have been far removed from my most got to have traits in this draft.

I'm picking my team by attributes I like at certain positions...

PG-Size,Quickness,Athleticism

SG-More of the same just some better shooting touch

SF-Defensive/Jack of all trades type

PF-Energetic hustle guys that can average 10/10 given appropriate minutes

C-Idc what my C does as long as his backup an vice versa compliment one another well. Which I believe I've done with Bismack and Vucevic

• Like 1

Looking at my team I see a ton of talent that will fit well together. One of the biggest pieces missing was someone with that dog mentality. Whose going to bring it every night up or down 30? We need the attitude that is going to take your lunch money, order a cheeseburger with it, and tell you how good it was.

Initially we were going another direction, but Steph Curry really made is voice heard on this one... with the next pick, the H4wkfans select...

Patrick Beverley - PG

Our attitude and backup PG have arrived. Don't forget he's not just a defender anymore. He developed a floater last year and clipped a career high 40% from deep.

Curry / Beverley

Matthews / fournier

Aminu / Barton

Favors / Lyles

Turner / ???

I didn't look too carefully, so hopefully he wasn't already taken lol. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Buzzard said:

There is no one way up the hill or one way to approach this process.  I don't fault the pick or where you took him.  What I was responding to is the notion that there was some kind of anti-Gay Hawksquawk conspiracy where similarly plugged in NBA fans of other teams would have taken him much earlier.  I think there is good reason he didn't go earlier and was expressing why that might be the case.  For me, I think TS% is key in this format because every team will have tons of good scorers (unlike the normal NBA where not every team is loaded with options) but the ones who can do it efficiently will make the difference.

Like I said in my earlier post, I think a backup roll could be very good for him and that is exactly the roll you drafted him into.  No criticism of you - just of the notion that people passed on him out of a Squawk ant-Rudy agenda.  

(Anti-Gay agenda sounded even more wrong).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is no one way up the hill or one way to approach this process.  I don't fault the pick or where you took him.  What I was responding to is the notion that there was some kind of anti-Gay Hawksquawk conspiracy where similarly plugged in NBA fans of other teams would have taken him much earlier.  I think there is good reason he didn't go earlier and was expressing why that might be the case.  For me, I think TS% is key in this format because every team will have tons of good scorers (unlike the normal NBA where not every team is loaded with options) but the ones who can do it efficiently will make the difference.

Like I said in my earlier post, I think a backup roll could be very good for him and that is exactly the roll you drafted him into.  No criticism of you - just of the notion that people passed on him out of a Squawk ant-Rudy agenda.  

(Anti-Gay agenda sounded even more wrong).

I did not draft Rudy, Cap did. I don't think its a conspiracy, that's a very funny thought, but I do notice a lot of anti Rudy talk. I think some people associate him with Mayo ( not good at all )  and they also see him as the chucker he was in Memphis which was a very long time ago. Rudy has decent numbers in regards to TS and eFG his last three seasons.

TS:  .540, .556 and .538,

eFG .483, .491, and .500.

That is better than a very long list of players that were taken before him in this draft; and I would not call 211 games outliers.

Edited by Buzzard

3 hours ago, h4wkfan said:

Looking at my team I see a ton of talent that will fit well together. One of the biggest pieces missing was someone with that dog mentality. Whose going to bring it every night up or down 30? We need the attitude that is going to take your lunch money, order a cheeseburger with it, and tell you how good it was.

Initially we were going another direction, but Steph Curry really made is voice heard on this one... with the next pick, the H4wkfans select...

Patrick Beverley - PG

Our attitude and backup PG have arrived. Don't forget he's not just a defender anymore. He developed a floater last year and clipped a career high 40% from deep.

Curry / Beverley

Matthews / fournier

Aminu / Barton

Favors / Lyles

Turner / ???

I didn't look too carefully, so hopefully he wasn't already taken lol. 

I really like Beverly Cleary's  Patrick the Pest. Nice pick!

• Moderators

Since we're doing Rudysquawk to kill the time, I'll add my two shekels.

Active NBA Players on my Big Board go through, first, a Pseudo-Objective Screen based on stats that aren't really PER/PIE/TS/WS or that stuff, but weights the stats (squaring and cubing and whatnot) and mimics those efficiency stats based on whatever I feel is valuable.

Then, there's a Do Whatever The Heck I Want Screen, where I subjectively factor in Age/Rookies&Newbies/Potential/Trending/TeamContext/Coaching/DepthChart/DefensiveEffort/PoliceBlotter/EyeTest to establish my final Big Board rankings. I'm one of those Anti-Rudy conspirators, so it's at this stage when I do my submerging to the extent rational.

On my final Big Board, Rudy landed at #137. He went at #128, so that's sounds about right.

On my aforementioned Pseudo-Objective Screen (P.O.S., which stands for something else entirely), though, Gay's score ranked him at #69, dude! Among the 40 unretired and healthy-ish players who averaged 17 PPG last season, he ranked 30th. All of those 40 players have been drafted, naturally, and most of them, including a pair on my P.O.S. ranked below him, were snatched up in the opening couple rounds.

One of the ingredients in the gumbo of stats that sorta helps his cause on the P.O.S.-meter is season-long plus/minus. That stat unfairly punishes players mired in persistently bad lineups, but tends to punish even more those who are culprits of poor defense. Rudy's -1.2 +/- stat is subpar among this subgroup  of scorers (33rd out of 40), but not as bad as one might imagine it is, especially on a Kings squad that hemorrhages points to its foes.

Rudy's 1.4 steals and 0.7 blocks per game from last season are even slightly above the reigning King of Cleveland. Moreso than defense, it's really a paucity of assists (1.7 per game, 37th out of 40) that drags his overall efficiency down.

In sum, I think if you're in rounds 7 through 9 and needed scoring, it's hard to pass him up. Even though that's what I tend to do.

~lw3

in an effort to keep things moving..
im gonna take Tyreke Evans
AGE - 26p6_237_8884.png15.2 pts - 6.6 ast - 5.2 reb    
Missed most of the season with a knee injury.. If healthy, he will be a nice playmaker off the bench.
We will use him as  a second unit point foward, so when Ben Simmons comes out of the game,there wont , be any changes in our playing style .

Edited by pimp
  • Like 4