• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Setting up a Team with D12 and Paul Millsap

DJlaysitup

Honestly,

How can you set up a team with Dwight Howard and Paul Millsap - two of the most dominant inside players in the league over the last five years or so....and allow a kid from Germany just take charge and run around?   It makes no sense.  Surely there are fast PGs  who can do the job and who are willing to feed the beast.

A point guard is different than a shooting guard/SF....

More importantly, a PG "runs the show"  and can keep the Big Guys out of the offense just by not getting them the ball "on time".  Dennis SUCKS at being a true PG.  He is decent at being aggressive and getting his own stuff - but as far as being a PG he sucks.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

More importantly, a PG "runs the show"  and can keep the Big Guys out of the offense just by not getting them the ball "on time".  Dennis SUCKS at being a true PG.  He is decent at being aggressive and getting his own stuff - but as far as being a PG he sucks.

1st can we please give the young man more time?...since he is a first year "starter"

2nd this offense is not designed for the point guard position to be the "only" position to get the bigs involved as well as the rest of team.

You say:

"How can you set up a team with Dwight Howard and Paul Millsap - two of the most dominant inside players in the league over the last five years or so....and allow a kid from Germany just take charge and run around?"

But I say:

How can you put all the pressure on a kid from Germany as the "only true dribbler in the starting lineup" that can penetrate the lane and actually get around his opponents?...makes no sense! You want me to be the only player that's truly capable of driving the lane cause no one else in this starting lineup can do it without turning over the ball? So it's either ball is my hands as a first year starter or ...turnover/bad shot, you name it.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, DJlaysitup said:

I have to agree here.   We can't afford a mefirst PG when we have inside play that can help develop our outside shooting.  It's a combination that has worked for years... Establish inside play and it opens it up for the shooters.   We feast when we are putting those lobs and PNRs up for Dwight.   Well, we have to do more of that. 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I have to agree here.   We can't afford a mefirst PG when we have inside play that can help develop our outside shooting.  It's a combination that has worked for years... Establish inside play and it opens it up for the shooters.   We feast when we are putting those lobs and PNRs up for Dwight.   Well, we have to do more of that. 

Except the inside players are turning the ball over in historic fashions and they can't both be effective in the paint together.

Millsap's shooting percentages from midrange and 3 are paltry.

More Lobs - did you see how LAL shut it down in the 2nd quarter.  Unfortunately Dwight has not done enough to develop other aspects of an offensive repertoire.  To run an effective PnR - Dwight has to set EFFECTIVE screens (yes this again).

Millsap needs space in the paint to display his offensive repertoire, he can't do that with Dwight there. Dwight is glued to the paint because he can't do much else outside it (not that I want him to).  Why do you think Millsap plays alongside Moose as much as he does.  Moose has more offensive versatility to allow Millsap the space he needs in the paint to be effective.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Except the inside players are turning the ball over in historic fashions and they can't both be effective in the paint together.

More Lobs - did you see how LAL shut it down in the 2nd quarter.  Unfortunately Dwight has not done enough to develop other aspects of an offensive repertoire.  To run an effective PnR - Dwight has to set EFFECTIVE screens (yes this again).

Millsap needs space in the paint to display his offensive repertoire, he can't do that with Dwight there. Dwight is glued to the paint because he can't do much else outside it (not that I want him to).  Why do you think Millsap plays alongside Moose as much as he does.  Moose has more offensive versatility to allow Millsap the space he needs in the paint to be effective.

And even then Sap hasn't been that effective this year.   Dennis has 4 guys right now who can't make a shot unless they are WIDE open, and can't dribble without turning the ball over.   We're expecting a lot for him to turn that into a functional offense by himself.   It can work.  In fact we've seen it work.  We've just fallen into bad habits and guys trying to do things they aren't capable of doing.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

And even then Sap hasn't been that effective this year.   Dennis has 4 guys right now who can't make a shot unless they are WIDE open, and can't dribble without turning the ball over.   We're expecting a lot for him to turn that into a functional offense by himself.   It can work.  In fact we've seen it work.  We've just fallen into bad habits and guys trying to do things they aren't capable of doing.  

Yeah I feel like everybody is really pressing right now.

51 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Teams have notice that and they are keeping some of their starters whenever Sap and Moose is paired.

29 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

As in Baze driving wildly into traffic and flipping shots in the general direction of the basket.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I agree but then I disagree.....I mean to me it seems like we want to place the blame on Howard for Saps bad performances and I can't go for that. I've watched Sap miss some of the easiest layups around the goal with and without Howard on the floor which isn't common for him. I feel like maybe Father Time is very slowly creeping up on Sap as his defense isn't as good either and his energy that he puts in his game night in and night out is sluggish in many games. we just aren't seeing the urgency out of sap like we normally do.

Sap can work with Howard on the floor he's simply missing shots he normally makes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JTB said:

1st can we please give the young man more time?...since he is a first year "starter"

2nd this offense is not designed for the point guard position to be the "only" position to get the bigs involved as well as the rest of team.

You say:

"How can you set up a team with Dwight Howard and Paul Millsap - two of the most dominant inside players in the league over the last five years or so....and allow a kid from Germany just take charge and run around?"

But I say:

How can you put all the pressure on a kid from Germany as the "only true dribbler in the starting lineup" that can penetrate the lane and actually get around his opponents?...makes no sense! You want me to be the only player that's truly capable of driving the lane cause no one else in this starting lineup can do it without turning over the ball? So it's either ball is my hands as a first year starter or ...turnover/bad shot, you name it.

This is Schröder's 4th year.. the last 2 he has averaged ~20 mins per game. Why does he need more time? He needs to produce now because its year 4 not year 1. 

3 hours ago, JTB said:

I agree but then I disagree.....I mean to me it seems like we want to place the blame on Howard for Saps bad performances and I can't go for that. I've watched Sap miss some of the easiest layups around the goal with and without Howard on the floor which isn't common for him. I feel like maybe Father Time is very slowly creeping up on Sap as his defense isn't as good either and his energy that he puts in his game night in and night out is sluggish in many games. we just aren't seeing the urgency out of sap like we normally do.

Sap can work with Howard on the floor he's simply missing shots he normally makes.

Oh, I'm not blaming Howard.  Sap is missing some easy stuff.  I'm saying the kinks in the offense are still a work in progress.

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Teams have notice that and they are keeping some of their starters whenever Sap and Moose is paired.

True, but Millsap should still have a decided advantage at PF against most of the other PFs in  the league.

1 hour ago, JonKoncack said:

This is Schröder's 4th year.. the last 2 he has averaged ~20 mins per game. Why does he need more time? He needs to produce now because its year 4 not year 1. 

Because he came over from Germany as a 19 year old playing in a garbage league.

We gave Teague time to develop as a starter, why not Dennis?