• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bazemore = Ginobili Thabo = Bowen

Diesel

• Premium Member

This Hawks team could be like the 2006-2007 world champion San Antonio Spurs.. from a player play standpt.

2006-2007 Spurs

2016-2017 Hawks

This is the comparison of interest

[code]                                                                                                                                        
Rk          Player  Season Age  G GS   MP  FG  FGA  FG%  3P 3PA  3P%  2P 2PA  2P% eFG%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
1    Kent Bazemore 2016-17  27 18 18 27.3 4.1 10.9 .372 1.2 3.9 .300 2.9 7.0 .413 .426 1.7 2.1 .816 0.4 2.8 3.2 2.7 1.7 0.7 1.8 2.4 11.0
2    Manu Ginobili 2006-07  29 75 36 27.5 5.3 11.4 .464 1.7 4.3 .396 3.6 7.1 .505 .539 4.3 5.0 .860 0.8 3.6 4.4 3.5 1.5 0.4 2.1 2.1 16.5
[/code]

What is clear here is that Baze don't yet stack up in FG% and 3pt%.  However, this is who Baze models his game after.   The question is can baze get those numbers up?  The answer is sure.. But Dennis is going to have to be more Tony Parker than Marberry.

The Bowen= Thabo... and Brent Barry = Korver analogies have some merit too.

Sorry @Diesel but this is disrespectful to a certain degree.

Baze just doesn't even have the potential to be hall of fame Manu Ginobli! ...baze just don't have that unorthodox euro style of play manu had. Baze has shown he can't dribble the ball to an effective degree to score, set up teammates, or even penetrate the lane consistently. I feel we and baze himself is trying to be something he's not!

Closes player I feel baze is as far as Spurs players go is Bruce Bowen. I agree with bud that when bazemore is settled he's a damn good defender....hell close to elite defender vs 2s and not 3s if you ask me. Also I think Baze is exactly what he showed he was when he got this contract...simply a 3&D shooting guard.

Baze should be running off more screens, cutting to the basket, placing himself along the 3point line for catch and shoot opportunities, and guarding 2s! That's who baze is...a 3&D shooting guard.

I believe the perception on this board and in this league is that shooting guards should be able to put the ball on the ground and can't be just 3&D players since most 3&D players are SFs but to me that's a silly way at looking at things when you could just have a true SF that can do those things.

If we had a true SF that could penetrate the lane or just dribble period baze would then be just fine...and maybe we do have that player in Prince and we just don't know right now.

The WHOLE problem with this offense right now is that we have one true dribble Drive player in the starting lineup that we are relying on doing everything whether it's setting up teammates, igniting ball movement, etc...until that is fixed offensively the problems will continue.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 4

It's been pretty obvious to me when Baze tries (frequently) to be more than just a 3&D player, he hurts the team. Turns the ball over, takes wild shots near traffic, and can make some head scratching pass attempts. This goes back to the JSmoove days...not as bad, mind you....of playing to your weaknesses instead of doing what you do best. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JTB said:

Sorry @Diesel but this is disrespectful to a certain degree.

Baze just doesn't even have the potential to be hall of fame Manu Ginobli! ...baze just don't have that unorthodox euro style of play manu had. Baze has shown he can't dribble the ball to an effective degree to score, set up teammates, or even penetrate the lane consistently. I feel we and baze himself is trying to be something he's not!

Closes player I feel baze is as far as Spurs players go is Bruce Bowen. I agree with bud that when bazemore is settled he's a damn good defender....hell close to elite defender vs 2s and not 3s if you ask me. Also I think Baze is exactly what he showed he was when he got this contract...simply a 3&D shooting guard.

Baze should be running off more screens, cutting to the basket, placing himself along the 3point line for catch and shoot opportunities, and guarding 2s! That's who baze is...a 3&D shooting guard.

I believe the perception on this board and in this league is that shooting guards should be able to put the ball on the ground and can't be just 3&D players since most 3&D players are SFs but to me that's a silly way at looking at things when you could just have a true SF that can do those things.

If we had a true SF that could penetrate the lane or just dribble period baze would then be just fine...and maybe we do have that player in Prince and we just don't know right now.

The WHOLE problem with this offense right now is that we have one true dribble Drive player in the starting lineup that we are relying on doing everything whether it's setting up teammates, igniting ball movement, etc...until that is fixed offensively the problems will continue.

I recall during his press conference, Baze saying that his favorite player right now is Ginobili and he would like to model his game after Ginobili based on talks with Bud.   I don't doubt the notion that he's a three and D player.   I also believe that he's the heir apparent to Korver as a 2.  I feel that we will bring up Prince as the 3 and D guy.   So somewhere along the way, base better learn to shoot.

Dribbling is just not something that gets better with age...Bazemore right now is doing the 6'3" version of Josh Smith, doing too much for his skill set, he needs to focus on playing off of Millsap and move without the ball in his hands a bit. And when he does initiate something he needs to take the jumper, preferably a pull up two and not a wing or top of the key three.

This is a reflection that nimbers aren't the end-all, be-all.  Any nimbers that suggest TradeBaze is anywhere near the player that Ginobili is/was should be ignored.  Ginobili was arguably a HOFer before he came to the Spurs for many reasons that simply cannot be captured by anybody's PER or whatever other advanced stat.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I recall during his press conference, Baze saying that his favorite player right now is Ginobili and he would like to model his game after Ginobili based on talks with Bud.   I don't doubt the notion that he's a three and D player.   I also believe that he's the heir apparent to Korver as a 2.  I feel that we will bring up Prince as the 3 and D guy.   So somewhere along the way, base better learn to shoot.

Thats ok for Baze to model his game after Ginobli but the skill level difference is stark. Ginobli can, shoit, dribble, score with ease at the rim AND run the offense.

Prince  already looks more than just a  3 and D  player in his limited minutes. He looks confident and comfortable dribbling the ball and taking it to the basket or making the right pass.

It's not only Baze's shooting, Baze can't and shouldn't dribble as much as he does.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thats ok for Baze to model his game after Ginobli but the skill level difference is stark. Ginobli can, shoit, dribble, score with ease at the rim AND run the offense.

Prince  already looks more than just a  3 and D  player in his limited minutes. He looks confident and comfortable dribbling the ball and taking it to the basket or making the right pass.

It's not only Baze's shooting, Baze can't and shouldn't dribble as much as he does.

Boom.  Couldn't have said it better myself but, then again, it was probably my comment that spurred you on to greatness so ...

Seriously though .... when can we TradeBaze?  I've seen enough.

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Boom.  Couldn't have said it better myself but, then again, it was probably my comment that spurred you on to greatness so ...

Seriously though .... when can we TradeBaze?  I've seen enough.

Ha.

I've already posted my Baze trade idea in your Millsap trade idea in the Trade Forum.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

This is a reflection that nimbers aren't the end-all, be-all.  Any nimbers that suggest TradeBaze is anywhere near the player that Ginobili is/was should be ignored.  Ginobili was arguably a HOFer before he came to the Spurs for many reasons that simply cannot be captured by anybody's PER or whatever other advanced stat.

Rest assured the nimbers make it clear they aren't remotely comparable players.

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Good thing we gave him that contract before he is able to shoot the ball.  Maybe by the end of he will have found a consistent shot.