• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How good would Hawks be if we kept Horford along side Howard and Millsap?

DS17Fanboy

It was management's plan (per Koonin) to keep all three, but Horford got his panties in a wad over a few hundred thousand dollars, so we get what we get.  I don't think Millsap would perform well as a small forward, which was not the way I felt about it back then.

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

I thought there was rumor about resigning horford and trading sap if we got howard?

They wanted to keep all three until they had to offer Horford more money.   Then they felt they needed to trade Sap.  That's my take anyway.   

I think it would have been a deadly lineup.   Sap can't play the whole game at SF but once you start rotating the 3 of them through the course of the game he wouldn't ahve been full time SF.   And with Dwight at the rim, Sap getting taken off the dribble isn't as big of a concern.  

Oh well.   We'll never know.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

It was management's plan (per Koonin) to keep all three, but Horford got his panties in a wad over a few hundred thousand dollars, so we get what we get.  I don't think Millsap would perform well as a small forward, which was not the way I felt about it back then.

Yeah, Millsap is not a SF. I couldn't imagine him trying to be a playmaker off the dribble at SF. Then, have to try to stay in front of the Paul George's, LeBron's and Melo's, it would be ugly. 

1 hour ago, DS17Fanboy said:

I keep on wondering about this because I miss Horford's passing/defense/picks more and more. Would he have been able to do these things from PF position?

I think Millsap at PF >Horford at PF. Al had the advantage against opposing centers because he's considered fast as a C. He's not considered fast as a PF. 

It would have been nice to have Al, so when Dwight is on the bench they could go back to the offense they've been running the past 3 years but that offense wasn't winning championships so life goes on.

We would have been better just because the trio of Dwight, Al and Sap combined offers more talent and versatility that any of Dwight with Al or Sap and Hump/Moose/Scott.  

More rotational flexibility:

Dwight, Al and Sap (very limited minutes as SF)

Dwight and Al

Dwight and Sap

Al and Sap