Howard > Hoeford and Schröder > Teague, so what's missing?

JackB1

16 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We got average NBA wings. We need studs. That's why what Lurker is saying is right. We need Leonard and George. But let's see how easily we can get Paul George or Khawi Leonard. Which is why I constantly go at Dwight. He's not a good fit for most NBA teams in today's NBA. I personally think Bud signed him to save face when he knew Al was leaving Atlanta. 

None of these wings should be starting. How can you say they're average when none of them are even legit starters? If you were saying average backups that would be more correct.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JackB1 said:

If you look at the stats, Howard and Schröder are doing better than Horford and Teague

Horford 15 pts 7 reb 5 assts

Howard 14 pts 13 rev 1 assts

Teague 15 pts 4 reb 7 assts

Schröder 17 pts 3 reb 6 assts

Dwight is grabbing 6 more boards a game than Horford and Schröder is outscoring Teague by 2 and continuing to improve.

So why is our record so much worse than last year?  Is it the chemistry?  Is it our 2 & 3 spots?  If we could just get decent & steady 

production from those spots, we could compete with the top teams.

It's not just this year, we were swept by Minnesota last year also.  A team has deep problems when you can't compete with teams like the Timberwolves.

I waited a bit to respond to this.  Spacing for 3 pointers is what's missing offensively. We're still shooting the 3 but our percentages have plummeted.

Missed 3's = long rebounds which = fast break opportunities for your opponent.

Our offense has become more guard ISO under Dennis, Korver has become 4 steps slower and they don't work the ball inside early often enough. Teams are lagging off post defense on us and closing out on the 3. We are rushing a lot of 3 point shots and our only real offense right now is on Paul ISO's and Dennis ISO's starting at the top of the key. Our current motion is only for show. 

Fixing our offensive set woe's will correct most of what is wrong with our defense.

• Like 1

• Moderators
If you look at the stats, Howard and Schröder are doing better than Horford and Teague

Horford 15 pts 7 reb 5 assts

Howard 14 pts 13 rev 1 assts

Teague 15 pts 4 reb 7 assts

Schröder 17 pts 3 reb 6 assts

Dwight is grabbing 6 more boards a game than Horford and Schröder is outscoring Teague by 2 and continuing to improve.

So why is our record so much worse than last year?  Is it the chemistry?  Is it our 2 & 3 spots?  If we could just get decent & steady 

production from those spots, we could compete with the top teams.

The simple answer is we are team without an identity. With Horford, we were a team based on space & pace and perimeter shooting. I believe the current Hawks roster just doesn't know who they are yet. We had Horford for 9 seasons... D8 gonna take some time.

But if I was a player on this roster, I'd focus on improving defense and make that your mantra until the Hawks figure out who this team is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

But if I was a player on this roster, I'd focus on improving defense and make that your mantra until the Hawks figure out who this team is.

We got much closer to a whole game of that play on D last night. At least a lot of hustle. The perimeter percentage on offense may very well continue to be a difficult  proposition for us, though it seemed better last night because of clutch shots but it really wasn't that good. 44% from two and 31% from three. Nice to see those big plays in the paint late though. Agree with the sentiment from many winning ugly is how we can move forward and win right now.   

• Like 2