• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Report: Paul Millsap on the block? (Merged Threadz)

JTB

The problem isn't where Millsap wants to go. He obviously wants to stay. The problem is that it will take a max or near max deal to keep him and I just don't think he is worth the $ at his age. Hawks front office has to know whether or not they will pay Millsap in the offseason already. If that decision is not to pay him, then there is absolutely no reason for us to hold on to him.

I know there are some that don't think a half-year "rental" of Millsap is worth a lot, but I think we can really get the competition going between teams that are contending now and teams that want Millsap for the future. This is because teams without cap space will not be able to sign him in FA and the only way to have a chance at him for the future is from a trade to obtain his Bird rights.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

The problem isn't where Millsap wants to go. He obviously wants to stay. The problem is that it will take a max or near max deal to keep him and I just don't think he is worth the $ at his age. Hawks front office has to know whether or not they will pay Millsap in the offseason already. If that decision is not to pay him, then there is absolutely no reason for us to hold on to him.

I know there are some that don't think a half-year "rental" of Millsap is worth a lot, but I think we can really get the competition going between teams that are contending now and teams that want Millsap for the future. This is because teams without cap space will not be able to sign him in FA and the only way to have a chance at him for the future is from a trade to obtain his Bird rights.

I would normally agree but I think Sap's game bodes well for his age and he will play well to his mid 30's maybe 35 or 36 because he's an old school player who uses skill over athleticism...almost like a zbo type guy.

Id be willing to give him a big contract if he's willing to stay.

vor 3 Stunden, JayBirdHawk sagte:

There's a BIG difference between $15 million to a 27 year old for 3 years plus an option year vs $30+ million for a 32 year old for 4/5 years.  If you can't see the difference between the two not sure what to tell you.

I would love for Sap to stick around at the right price.

If you dont get that amounts add up to totals that have limits, like indeed a salary cap, then I cant help you(no insulting implications- winkwink).You are just eager to pull a trigger today. Take some tablets and come back tomorrow when ur in a state to talk normal to people.

vor 4 Stunden, kg01 sagte:

Nobody likes Skip BazeLess' contract.  That doesn't mean we have to ignore the 'why' behind why he's here, DMC isn't and Sap probably shouldn't be/won't be next year.

I never got why Baze is here. But I do get that great players get great money.

56 minutes ago, DS17Fanboy said:

If you dont get that amounts add up to totals that have limits, like indeed a salary cap, then I cant help you(no insulting implications- winkwink).You are just eager to pull a trigger today. Take some tablets and come back tomorrow when ur in a state to talk normal to people.

What? I have no idea what this means, so take your own advise - take tablets, blah blah etc.

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What? I have no idea what this means, so take your own advise - take tablets, blah blah etc.

This is urban dictionary's second definition. So yeah whatever. Thought they would help with the language barrier. 
Tablet      Something that was NOT made by a shitty computer company     (See Apple) but was made by Bill Gates in 2001. When Bill Gates
introduced it, no one gave a flying F**K about it, but when Steve Jobs                                                        introduced the iPad, the world pissed itself like an over excited dog.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Ok, I feel slightly better about letting this season play out with Sap on the roster after this. This is extremely risky and basically puts the Hawks organization at Sap's mercy. If this franchise gets screwed again during free agency, they have every right to trade whoever whenever they want to protect the team from now on.

• Like 2

I just don't like the fact that unrestricted free agents no longer seem to do sign n trades...like before a player could only get max dollars from their own team..hence many sign n trade deals...now players just bolt and their original teams get screwed.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This $hit is gettin outta hand...no tablets or iPads for anyone...:-)

7 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

no tablets or iPads for anyone...:-)

It was somewhat humorous watching the CFL and the big deal in 2016 was they were using tablets in beta form but the announcers were really wetting themselves over it.  Like it was the Matrix or something. I just wanted to see some football in the summer myself.  

41 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Unless you're getting lottery picks and/or a major upgrade at the wing, there's no sense in trading Millsap . . . even if you lost him for nothing.

Too many times, these teams out think themselves.   Getting back marginal players for Millsap is useless, unless they all can shoot the 3 at a high rate, which would turn us into 2011 Orlando Magic lite . . without the dominant offensive version of Dwight.

Brilliant! I agree and I'd like to personally thank Sap for all he's done for us and apologize to him for sending him out to 10-15 different cities over the last week in the trade forums lol...

My sincerest apology do it all!

Below is a list of teams with $25 million or more in capspace IF teams renounce ALL their free agents, partial guarantees etc., players decline options, etc. 

BOS -$38 (no Jerebko, Olynyk, Amir)

BKN - $65

CHi - $54 (that's only if DWade doesn't pick up his $23 mil option, no Mirotix and MCW)

DAL - $39 (only if Dirk retires or Cuban declines his $25 mil team option)

DEN - $44

GSW - $60 (if they don't want Curry or Durant, sure - otherwise no space)

IND - $40 (Let Teague walk)

LAC - $40 (Let Griffin, Paul and Reddick walk)

LAL - $32

MIN - $25

NOP -$31

ORL - $32 (Let Ibaka walk)

PHI - $64

PHX -$35

SAC - $52

SAS - $28 (if Pau declines his option)

UTA - $35 (no Haywood or Hill, unlikely)

I've only listed the biggest free agent for each team above.

These teams don't have Bird Rights to Millsap so they will have to have capspace to sign him out right.

Which teams would Sap be interested in signing with that can give him the big $$$$$?

His player option for next season is $21 mil.

His caphold is $30 mil.

His max salary as a 10 year vet is $35 mil :huh:. (Assuming $102 mil salary cap)

[If any numbers are incorrect, please note it]

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Below is a list of teams with $25 million or more in capspace IF teams renounce ALL their free agents, partial guarantees etc., players decline options, etc. 

BOS -$38 (no Jerebko, Olynyk, Amir)

BKN - $65

CHi - $54 (that's only if DWade doesn't pick up his $23 mil option, no Mirotix and MCW)

DAL - $39 (only if Dirk retires or Cuban declines his $25 mil team option)

DEN - $44

GSW - $60 (if they don't want Curry or Durant, sure - otherwise no space)

IND - $40 (Let Teague walk)

LAC - $40 (Let Griffin, Paul and Reddick walk)

LAL - $32

MIN - $25

NOP -$31

ORL - $32 (Let Ibaka walk)

PHI - $64

PHX -$35

SAC - $52

SAS - $28 (if Pau declines his option)

UTA - $35 (no Haywood or Hill, unlikely)

I've only listed the biggest free agent for each team above.

These teams don't have Bird Rights to Millsap so they will have to have capspace to sign him out right.

Which teams would Sap be interested in signing with that can give him the big $$$$$?

His player option for next season is $21 mil.

His caphold is $30 mil.

His max salary as a 10 year vet is $35 mil :huh:. (Assuming $102 mil salary cap)

[If any numbers are incorrect, please note it]

How much do we have, $ wise?

45 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

How much do we have, $ wise?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta_hawks/

Players under contract next year

- Dwight:  23.5 mill

- Millsap:  21.5 .. ( player option )

- Baze:  16.9 mill .. ( throwing up a little . . . no, a lot )

- Dennis:  15.5 mill

- Delaney:  2.5 mill .. ( dang, he should be dancing in the streets )

- Prince:  2.4 mill

- Bembry:  1.6 mill

- Hardaway Jr:  3.3 mill ( qualifying offer ) . . . in which he may be setting himself up for a 10 mill a year + deal, if he keeps playing halfway decent.

That's it.

This is why Bud needs to start playing Prince more, to see if he can vastly outplay his rookie contract.  

• Like 2

I can understand perfectly well that Millsap has been a great player for us but I don't see the front office committing also all of the cap on four players (Millsap, Howard, Baze and Dennis) and knowing in fact that we don't have what it takes to deal with Lebron and the Cavs or even the Kids of Toronto in the playoffs.

I wont trade him but I will be looking around for a great deal if it does comes up.

1 hour ago, NekiEcko said:

I can understand perfectly well that Millsap has been a great player for us but I don't see the front office committing also all of the cap on four players (Millsap, Howard, Baze and Dennis) and knowing in fact that we don't have what it takes to deal with Lebron and the Cavs or even the Kids of Toronto in the playoffs.

I wont trade him but I will be looking around for a great deal if it does comes up.

I can give you a reason why . . .

When you do something like this, you better at least be able to put a competitive product out on the floor.

As fans, we have to come to the realization that it's not only Lebron James that's keeping us from being a championship level team or even reaching an NBA Finals.  It's also Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love.  

We're potentially looking at 3 Hall of Famers on that Cavs team, much like what the Western Conference faced back in the 1980s with Magic, Kareem, and Worthy on the LA Lakers ( who went to 8 of the 10 NBA Finals in the 1980s with at least 2 of those 3 guys always on the roster ) . . . and the East faced in the 1990s with the Chicago Bulls always having Jordan and Pippen.

Blowing it up doesn't work, unless you get a Hall of Fame player right from the jump, who can join a team with decent pieces.  Sacramento still sucks.  Minnesota, with all of that young talent, still sucks.  Philly will still suck, unless they get a dynamic guard to play with Embiid ( who also needs to stay healthy ).  Pelicans still suck with Anthony Davis, for that very reason ( lack of a dynamic guard ).

Honestly, we're better off betting that Dennis and possibly a guy like Prince can develop into All-Star caliber players, while keeping good, but aging players on the team ( even if they're overpaid ), than to trying to acquire a bunch of draft picks and hope one of them is a Hall of Famer.

And it is proven in the Atlanta market, that if the team isn't at least halfway good, the fans aren't coming out . . . period.

If we lose Millsap, we better get Blake Griffin . . . or nothing . . . so that we can possibly add quality veteran complimentary pieces to play with the kids.  And not players on bad contracts given to them by other teams. 

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I can give you a reason why . . .

When you do something like this, you better at least be able to put a competitive product out on the floor.

As fans, we have to come to the realization that it's not only Lebron James that's keeping us from being a championship level team or even reaching an NBA Finals.  It's also Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love.  

We're potentially looking at 3 Hall of Famers on that Cavs team, much like what the Western Conference faced back in the 1980s with Magic, Kareem, and Worthy on the LA Lakers ( who went to 8 of the 10 NBA Finals in the 1980s with at least 2 of those 3 guys always on the roster ) . . . and the East faced in the 1990s with the Chicago Bulls always having Jordan and Pippen.

Blowing it up doesn't work, unless you get a Hall of Fame player right from the jump, who can join a team with decent pieces.  Sacramento still sucks.  Minnesota, with all of that young talent, still sucks.  Philly will still suck, unless they get a dynamic guard to play with Embiid ( who also needs to stay healthy ).  Pelicans still suck with Anthony Davis, for that very reason ( lack of a dynamic guard ).

Honestly, we're better off betting that Dennis and possibly a guy like Prince can develop into All-Star caliber players, while keeping good, but aging players on the team ( even if they're overpaid ), than to trying to acquire a bunch of draft picks and hope one of them is a Hall of Famer.

And it is proven in the Atlanta market, that if the team isn't at least halfway good, the fans aren't coming out . . . period.

If we lose Millsap, we better get Blake Griffin . . . or nothing . . . so that we can possibly add quality veteran complimentary pieces to play with the kids.  And not players on bad contracts given to them by other teams. 

So in other words, stay on the treadmill for the future because they don't want to lose fans?  Wow, that is kinda sad.

• Like 1