• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do you guys think about this move

terrellgroup

8 minutes ago, terrellgroup said:

Aren't you guys tired on just making a run?  I am. 

Any team that doesn't win it all is tired of just making a run. How are those two going to give us any more of a run then keeping Sap for the playoffs this year?

A team that takes Millsap and gives up something of worth for him has to be a team that actually hopes to able to resign him. I don't see Denver in that position. Why would Millsap stay on a team that just traded its two best players away for him?

Also, in order to stay somewhat competitive this season, especially since it is looking better and better right now, the Hawks need a PF back in a Millsap trade. Else, Muscala would have to start (doable, at least his skill set would complement Howard very well) without someone backing him up (bad).

I would like Domantas Sabonis from OKC. He was a great Rebounder in college and is a very good 3-point shooter (good for playing with DH) and only 20 years old. He would form a good young tandem with Muscala. I just don't know how you would make the salaries work.

Another option would be to sign Ibaka in the offseason and just get as good a draft pick as you can get for Millsap. Ibaka is not quite as good/versatile as Millsap, but a much better 3-point shooter. He is also a bit younger and will probably only look for ~20 million per year, which would leave the Hawks with some flexibility to upgrade on the wings. The downside is that you only get him after this season and the Hawks would need another PF for this season.

3 hours ago, tonegully said:

If we are going to rebuild why even resign Kent Bazemore and sign Howard. We shouldve made this decision last off season 

Because I don't think to start the season that was the plan and we still dont know if that's the plan. I think the play of the team after starting 9-2, then the losing streak, the win one lose one has prompted the rebuild talk. I don't think anyone saw Kent shooting 16% from 3 and being a turnover machine.

2 hours ago, terrellgroup said:

And if Milsap wants to say, why did he opt out, that is a oxymoron to me.

Millsap has not opted out.

2 hours ago, terrellgroup said:

Both of those guys are averaging 16 points.

Gallinari is 6'10 , Chandler is 6'9.

We need a scoring small forward and can check the bigger guys. 

Bottom line we would be more talanted with 2 additional starters. Then one Milsap.

We need a SF with Millsap. Not without him. That's the part you leave out. 

• Like 3

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/nba-rumors-paul-millsap-free-agency-23112110.html If Milsap has it opt out, what does the above link means to you. In addition, Gallinari can play stretch 4 against a lot of teams. It depends on match up. For an example Gallinari can play power forward against Toronto

• Moderators
1 minute ago, terrellgroup said:

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/nba-rumors-paul-millsap-free-agency-23112110.html If Milsap has it opt out, what does the above link means to you. In addition, Gallinari can play stretch 4 against a lot of teams. It depends on match up. For an example Gallinari can play power forward against Toronto

Ignore Morning News USA, they're a fake-news/re-packaged-news content farm.

~lw3

• Like 2

Millsap is an awesome player and we are lucky to have him. Be careful what you wish for because in a couple of years we might all look back and say.."Dang, Millsap was an awesome player and perfect for us."

So at some point posting is meaningless unless those particular folks do indeed watch the games. Not just the fourth quarter and a handful of stats. Watch the games. Gotta be in position to win to actually win. We have what we need. Starting lineup and minutes may not relate as well as we want but we do win now somewhat pretty or ever so ugly. Its what works in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, terrellgroup said:

The assumption since he signed the contract has always been that it is more likely than not that he will opt out for a bigger pay raise because of the rise in cap.

The truth is he has not notified the Hawks that he will opt in or out regardless of any reports. 

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The assumption since he signed the contract has always been that it is more likely than not that he will opt out for a bigger pay raise because of the rise in cap.

The truth is he has not notified the Hawks that he will opt in or out regardless of any reports. 

So completely disregard what I read. The heading of the article is pretty clear. "Milsap plans to opt out of his contract"

so are you saying those (more than 1) articles are saying something different . Please enlighten me on what these articles mean?

Isn't it common sense that Millsap would opt out, unless he got seriously injured? Why wouldn't he? He can get a lot more $ and get a long-term deal that will likely be his last major deal in the NBA. However, just because he opts out doesn't mean he that he wants to leave Atlanta. It's just business and the economics of it all is to opt out and get a new contract.

• Moderators

I'm at the point where if we were willing to pay Al 5 years 25 million+ then let's just pay Paul.   I don't think it'll take the full max to get him to stay here.   The nba is practically drooling over a chance to nab him.   That will be the same for at least a couple years so what's the risk?   Obviously we need to be able to sign a really good wing to go with him, but with the increasing cap and some of our trade assets we should be able to make that work.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm at the point where if we were willing to pay Al 5 years 25 million+ then let's just pay Paul.   I don't think it'll take the full max to get him to stay here.   The nba is practically drooling over a chance to nab him.   That will be the same for at least a couple years so what's the risk?   Obviously we need to be able to sign a really good wing to go with him, but with the increasing cap and some of our trade assets we should be able to make that work.   

Agreed. I hope we tease the rest of the league for a month and a half and end up holding onto him. A lil Hawk attention in the NBA never hurt anyone..;-)

15 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Millsap is an awesome player and we are lucky to have him. Be careful what you wish for because in a couple of years we might all look back and say.."Dang, Millsap was an awesome player and perfect for us."

What's more likely (a) we pay him and regret paying $47mil to a 37-year-old (his salary at year 5 of a max deal would approach 47mil) or (2) we regret getting a good package back for him although we acknowledge he was a good player for us?

I don't think I asked that properly but you're schmart, you get the gist.

8 hours ago, terrellgroup said:

So completely disregard what I read. The heading of the article is pretty clear. "Milsap plans to opt out of his contract"

so are you saying those (more than 1) articles are saying something different . Please enlighten me on what these articles mean?

You seem to be giving way too much credit to these "journalists".  Millsap hasn't opted out, nor has he indicated one way or the other.  Any article stating that he has is inaccurate.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

What's more likely (a) we pay him and regret paying $47mil to a 37-year-old (his salary at year 5 of a max deal would approach 47mil) or (2) we regret getting a good package back for him although we acknowledge he was a good player for us?

I don't think I asked that properly but you're schmart, you get the gist.

You seem to be giving way too much credit to these "journalists".  Millsap hasn't opted out, nor has he indicated one way or the other.  Any article stating that he has is inaccurate.

So either way...we are gonna regret...lol

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

So either way...we are gonna regret...lol

If we get a good pkg for him we won't regret it.  We'll just look back longingly on his tenure.  Just like Kyle.

Odd question coming from you.  We know you don't regret getting a good package (ohhh, shots fired).

• Moderators

That's what i'm saying.   We can't do the full max for Sap but i don't think many other teams are going to want to pull that trigger either.   I think Sap understands that we need more pieces.   We offer what we offered Al including the 5th year from the get go and i think he'll sign.   Dennis/Sap/Dwight is a good foundation for the next 2-3 years.   

• Like 1