• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free agents by teams for Hawks

I liked Olynk since his Summer League days but he's an 8th man on a championship squad.  Mirotic is a walking DNP due to wild inconsistency in focus and ridiculous shot selection far too often.  While we're talking about heavily flawed 4s I know I ain't the only cat who liked Matt Costello.  He'll hit the glass harder than both at a fraction of a fraction of cost.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Today, we take a look at a couple of other teams and their pending free agents. Starting with the Cleveland Cavs.

They have no restricted free agents.

As far as their unrestricted free agents are concerned I'll quickly go down my list.

I say no to both the Jones boys right away. I love the Dahntay Kobe saga but a reunion is unlikely. James is a great spot up shooter but I'm pretty sure he retires or goes to a contender. 

On to the Williams boys. For me, it's a no to both. In the case of Deron, (see James Jones) and Derrick is a pretty energetic 4, but I'm not sure he fits in our system well. 

That leaves our old buddy Kyle. I was a big fan of Kyle as a Hawk. He brought professionalism daily with an obviously insane perimeter game. I'd want a guy like Kyle as a member of our team whether player or coach at any point. Realistically, not likely.

Thoughts?

IMG_9860.PNG

On to our very first Western conference team and that would be the Dallas Mavericks. 

Their free agents include Yogi Ferrell (no relation to Duane) and highly scouted by @sturt before becoming a Mav and coming out really on fire. Team option they keep him. Deandre Liggins I'm really not sure if his game if anybody wants to comment on him as an option for us. Was this the same dude on the Cavs? Last guy here is Nerlens Noel. Much talk of us getting him last offseason with a Jeff Teague swap. Some squawkers really liked that idea. I personally like Noel but I'm happy we got Prince for Teague over Noel. Now though, I wouldn't go after Noel, nor do I think he leaves Dallas. 

The only unrestricted free agent the Mavs have is lifelong Mav Dirk. Magic, Bird, Reggie Miller, Kobe and Duncan. Joining the list of guys to wear only one team's jersey next will be the riDirkulous one, or as Nique calls him, Derek Nowinski. Hell would freeze over before Dirk wore a Hawks jersey. 

Thoughts on Mark Cuban's misfits?

IMG_9861.PNG

6 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

On to our very first Western conference team and that would be the Dallas Mavericks. 

Their free agents include Yogi Ferrell (no relation to Duane) and highly scouted by @sturt before becoming a Mav and coming out really on fire. Team option they keep him. Deandre Liggins I'm really not sure if his game if anybody wants to comment on him as an option for us. Was this the same dude on the Cavs? Last guy here is Nerlens Noel. Much talk of us getting him last offseason with a Jeff Teague swap. Some squawkers really liked that idea. I personally like Noel but I'm happy we got Prince for Teague over Noel. Now though, I wouldn't go after Noel, nor do I think he leaves Dallas. 

The only unrestricted free agent the Mavs have is lifelong Mav Dirk. Magic, Bird, Reggie Miller, Kobe and Duncan. Joining the list of guys to wear only one team's jersey next will be the riDirkulous one, or as Nique calls him, Derek Nowinski. Hell would freeze over before Dirk wore a Hawks jersey. 

Thoughts on Mark Cuban's misfits?

IMG_9861.PNG

I'd take Yogi.... but my only issue is he is a perimeter player, and he doesn't have a big enough name in the league to get the calls like IT does... so practically what we'd have is a jump shooting PG to backup DS17.... granted when he is hitting he's efficient as anybody, but can he continue to be as good as he was throughout an 82+ game season? 

• Like 1

I'd like Kyle back as player/shooting coach.

Pass on Yogi. He started off hot and secured a multi year deal, has since tailed off. Need a better backup for Dennis. (when we get to the Jazz)

I'd take Noel, and find a taker for Dwight.

• Moderators

This has started out depressing.   I'm not sure there is anyone on these 6 teams that I want.     I might take Deron and start him at the 2.   The Noel I saw this year looked like a guy who quickly headed to being an afterthought.   I mean what does he do well enough to be a starter?

• Like 2

The next team we are covering is the Denver Nuggets. Now, supposedly there was a lot of talk about the Nuggets doing business last summer and at the deadline, both deals involving Millsap. That never happened. Now we take a look at their free agents.

As far as the restricted free agents go, they only have one andbthats big man Mason Plumlee who was involved in the Blazer deal for Nurkic. I'm assuming Denver wants him back but as far as him being a Hawk, if I'm the GM, (whoever that may be for us) I say no to Mason. To me, he doesn't fit.

The unrestricted free agents are Danilo Gallinari, who was rumored in those Sap deals. This is an interesting one because Gallo fits the Hawks style of play. Personally, I'm always worried about his durability. But if Sap walks, we may have to look his way.

The other unrestricted guy here is Roy Hibbert. A hard hard pass for me.

Thoughts on these golden butt Nuggets?

IMG_9871.PNG

The 2nd team of the day that we are covering  are the Detroit bad boys(predicated on their play the last few years not 88-91 lol). A lot of squawkers wanted SVG as our coach when I personally thought he was overrated. Not sure what their plan will be moving forward but they have a couple restricted free agents. 

First one is Reggie Bullock. I like his game, as far as I saw when he was with the Clippers and like I've always said, you can never have enough shooters. Having said that, the guy hasn't made much noise since being drafted so an easy pass for me here.

The other guy is KCP. I think we have a really great chance to get this guy and bring him back to Georgia. I love his game and he seems to improve every year. He would be like kind signing that I could see us making. An underrated signing much like 2005 when we signed JJ away from the Suns..(of course Diaw and picks were involved but still). I love KCP's game more than THJ and they are both restricted FA's this summer. A big YES here for me. He checks a lot of my boxes.

They also have 2 unrestricted free agents in Aaron Baynes and Beno Udrih. I think Baynes would be a great backup to Dwight. Hell I'd prolly start him over Dwight, or trade Dwight. Lol. Big Aussie banger is needed in the ATL, sign me up.

I also love Beno and he has familiarity with Bud from the days in San Antonio, but he's an older player now and seems to be losing a step. I like him more than Delaney and prolly more than or equal to no way Jose Calderon. We could do worse, but I'm hoping we do better with a backup PG here than Beno.

Thoughts on the Bad Boys?

IMG_9872.PNG

I'd take Plumlee over Moose.

KCP over THjr but he's getting a max.

Baynes as a backup is OK for the right price , replacing one man bun with another.

How old is Beno?

24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Baynes as a backup is OK for the right price , replacing one man bun with another.

How old is Beno?

Without looking I'm guessing Beno is 33...lol

56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How old is Beno?

Burd has clearly been reading my notes.  I agree with all the above.

KCP is the next overpaid wing "shooter".  Dude is as inconsistent as THJ but has garnered a rep as a plus defender.  I think that's a mirage though.  My eggspert prediction is he'll regress mightily once he gets paid.  Have fun with that Pisstons.

Give me Baynes all day as a backup big and I'd take Plumlee all day over Musc but I don't wanna pay him the 'going rate'.

Lastly, I want no one from DEN's FA pool.  Gallo is fragile.  That's pronounced 'fra-jeelay' for the uninitiated.

Not a fan of Gallo. Think he is a bit overrated and injury prone. Don't want Plumlee or Hibbert obviously.

KCP vs. THJ is interesting. KCP is one of the better perimeter defenders in the league, but his three point shooting is slightly below average. Given our weak offense, we could use THJ's offensive abilities (excluding his playoff performance). I actually think THJ could turn out to be the better value play given that KCP will likely get a max or near max contract and I still think THJ has more potential than KCP.

Fan of Baynes, but not sure he will be worth the price for a 16 mpg backup big. I would also prefer to get younger not go after 30+ year olds. No to Udrih. Bullock is interesting as we need shooters, but I don't really have an opinion on him either way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

That's pronounced 'fra-jeelay' for the uninitiated

My nipples are hard. You just earned yourself an extra eggnog shot during Xmas ;-)