Did we screw up by not keeping a small backcourt? Should we bring Teague back?

JTB

I'm watching this Wizards and Celtics series and can't help but to notice how much their quick ass backcourts are showing out.

neither backcourt is a true size! Thomas is the smallest effective player in the NBA by far and his SG Avery Bradley is only like 6'2 or 6'3...then the wiz have wall who's a bigger pg at 6'4 but beal looks about 6'3 despite what was recorded as his playing height.

Maybe bud was on to something with the quick ass backcourt we hated to see from time to time  with Dennis and Teague. Maybe we should bring Teague back at a fair price since he's already familiar with the offense??? Maybe we should go with a small backcourt.

Thoughts?

Bradley is one of the best defenders in the NBA. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to start IT, he'd have to be a bench buster. I'd love to get a 2 guard that can cover for Dennis like that. Donovan Mitchell has that type of potential in this draft, but we loaded up on wings last year.

• Like 2

Mitchell was interviewed after working out with Jordan Bell prepping for the NBA and said that he'll be adjusting a lot on offense because of his height being 6'2" but his defense with that wingspan is very serious stuff. Does seem like a carbon copy of a young Bradley coming up watching clips.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bulls/nba-draft-donovan-mitchell-brushes-aside-height-questions-athleticism-versatility-eric-bledsoe-avery-bradley

• Like 2

It's not necessarily about size isn't that right @JayBirdHawk?

Most important is being able to play on both ends.  It works for Boston because Bradley is a top 3 guard on both ends.  His scoring and offensive prowess is way underrated.  Beal and Wall are both above average on both ends and supberb on offense.  

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 8:48 AM, Alex said:

It works for Boston because Bradley is a top 3 guard on both ends.

Certainly has developed that three pointer a good bit over the years. Thirty nine percent regular season and playoffs this year. Don't even think about that part with him because of his superior defense. By the way they only have his rights one more year and he'll still only be twenty seven when his contract is up.

• Like 1

You need specifics other than just speed and quickness with a small backcourt, so it'd be better to draft this if you really want it.

Donovan Mitchell, Kostja Mushidi, and here is a under the radar name, Derrick White.

• Like 1

No - the investment in Prince was needed. Size, youth and athleticism at the wing.

No - there is no bringing back Teague at a 'fair' price.  He will be paid and deservedly so.

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Mitchell was interviewed after working out with Jordan Bell prepping for the NBA and said that he'll be adjusting a lot on offense because of his height being 6'2" but his defense with that wingspan is very serious stuff. Does seem like a carbon copy of a young Bradley coming up watching clips.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bulls/nba-draft-donovan-mitchell-brushes-aside-height-questions-athleticism-versatility-eric-bledsoe-avery-bradley

I love this kid he is in my top 5 picks for us...between 15-25.

The screw-up was Bud and Wes going with Delaney as the backup PG . . . a guy who has a great 17 - 21 foot jumper, but can't shoot the NBA 3, can't get to the rim, and can't defend.  If he could've done just 1 of these 3 things, we may have been OK at the backup PG spot.   

PG was definitely a strength of this team during the 2015 - 16 season.   So when you lose a very good PG like team, you want to replace him with a guy that can at least adequately do a few things very well, to keep the position solid overall.  

Baze is now the backup PG . . . at least for now.  If the Hawks don't find one in free agency or in the draft, hopefully Bud will start letting Bembry handling the ball some in the halfcourt offense . . . if he cracks the rotation.  He has better ball handling and passing skills than Baze, and that needs to be taken advantage of.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The screw-up was Bud and Wes going with Delaney as the backup PG . . . a guy who has a great 17 - 21 foot jumper, but can't shoot the NBA 3, can't get to the rim, and can't defend.  If he could've done just 1 of these 3 things, we may have been OK at the backup PG spot.   

PG was definitely a strength of this team during the 2015 - 16 season.   So when you lose a very good PG like team, you want to replace him with a guy that can at least adequately do a few things very well, to keep the position solid overall.  

Baze is now the backup PG . . . at least for now.  If the Hawks don't find one in free agency or in the draft, hopefully Bud will start letting Bembry handling the ball some in the halfcourt offense . . . if he cracks the rotation.  He has better ball handling and passing skills than Baze, and that needs to be taken advantage of.

I found the Delaney signing a bit odd but I thought Malcolm had a chance to be an offensive version of Patrick Beverly also obtained from overseas by the Rox a few years back. Oh well..

13 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

They need to bring Mack back. They never should have traded him.

An Avery Bradley or a Malcolm Brogdon type player to pair in the backcourt with Dennis actually makes too much sense.

That would be:

Donovan Mitchell

Or (Brogdon types and in order of preference):

Josh Hart, Sindarius Thornwell, Derrick White, or Kostja Mushidi.

Mushidi would be first if he wasn't so young.

I think you can probably get the first three with 31.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

An Avery Bradley or a Malcolm Brogdon type player to pair in the backcourt with Dennis actually makes too much sense.

That would be:

Donovan Mitchell

Interesting! I wonder what the new GM will do with our draft pick. Most mocks I've seen have us taking a Big.

16 hours ago, Lurker said:

That would be:

Donovan Mitchell

Frank Jackson's another one like that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DBac said:

Frank Jackson's another one like that. 

More like Gary Harris than Avery Bradley or Malcolm Brogdon but I doubt he's ready this year (although, that's just like what we saw with Harris). Very athletic combo guard, a lot like Harris, but from what we've seen with Duke prospects he probably is a bad defender right now.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

More like Gary Harris than Avery Bradley or Malcolm Brogdon but I doubt he's ready this year (although, that's just like what we saw with Harris). Very athletic combo guard, a lot like Harris, but from what we've seen with Duke prospects he probably is a bad defender right now.

I'd love to get a Gary Harris type. Avery is like Gary's upper bound comparison. 

One last guy, Sterling Brown from SMU. A career 45% 3pt shooter. 6'5, 6'10 wingspan, brother of Shannon Brown, tenacious defender. More of a second round sleeper type though.