Bam Adebayo

I like this guy a lot. He reminds me of a mix between Ibaka and Biyombo. I really like his intensity as well. Hope he's around at 19th pick. 

At the the same time, lots of other talented positions that we need.

@coachx what are your thoughts on this kid and who else do you like?

Bam is like a young Dwight body wise, he's definitely not afraid to bang in the post and he's already NBA sized. Still shaky on the shooting outside of the paint as of now but that'll improve. I think he'd definitely be solid energy wise and potentially could be a full-time starter for us. 

• Like 1

• Admin

He is a big body ... but doesn't really have much offensive skill ... I think Biyombo is a good comparison.  I wouldn't use 19 on him but if he drops to the second then maybe.

A big with skill that intrigues me if he stays in the draft is Tony Bradly ... he is going to have a much better career then Bam.  I would love to grab him with 31 ... 

On 5/14/2017 at 1:41 PM, Spud2Nique said:

I like this guy a lot. He reminds me of a mix between Ibaka and Biyombo. I really like his intensity as well. Hope he's around at 19th pick. 

At the the same time, lots of other talented positions that we need.

@coachx what are your thoughts on this kid and who else do you like?

Why didn't you reach out to @AHF, chief KY lover supreme?  Ya know, get the word straight from the horse's arse.  What, that's the phrase right?  Oh no, it's horse's mouth.  Sorry, AH.

51 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Why didn't you reach out to @AHF, chief KY lover supreme?  Ya know, get the word straight from the horse's arse.  What, that's the phrase right?  Oh no, it's horse's mouth.  Sorry, AH.

He's too busy staring at Ashley Judd mugs to respond lol...

• Admin

A PF to consider at 19 is Harry Giles ... if this kid is healthy he is supposed to be the best player of the freshman class and could be a real steal for whoever gets him.  The Healthy is the key word.  Another kid I like is Terrance Ferguson ... I watched some videos of him playing overseas and I like his game.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

A PF to consider at 19 is Harry Giles ... if this kid is healthy he is supposed to be the best player of the freshman class and could be a real steal for whoever gets him.  The Healthy is the key word.  Another kid I like is Terrance Ferguson ... I watched some videos of him playing overseas and I like his game.  

I don't know about Giles Capstone. If a kid who's not even old enough to drink has foot problems, that's a HUGE red flag. If he drops far enough to nab him at 31, I'm in. But there's a risk there and we actually need whatever big we draft to play next season.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I don't know about Giles Capstone. If a kid who's not even old enough to drink has foot problems, that's a HUGE red flag. If he drops far enough to nab him at 31, I'm in. But there's a risk there and we actually need whatever big we draft to play next season.

I get it as far as the injury risk...

As far as contributing next year ... I don't see many of the freshmen ready to make a contribution next season.  That is the problem with the one and dones ... we now draft on potential instead of immediate help.  A lot of these guys are a few years away from being NBA ready

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, capstone21 said:

I get it as far as the injury risk...

As far as contributing next year ... I don't see many of the freshmen ready to make a contribution next season.  That is the problem with the one and dones ... we now draft on potential instead of immediate help.  A lot of these guys are a few years away from being NBA ready

Swanigan is one big who could theoretically contribute next season due to his combination of skills and BBIQ. Too bad he isn't at least 6'10". But if he was taller he would already be a Lottery pick.

If Bam develops a midrange shot, he'd be perfect too. 

If you look at the stats, I believe Justin Patton blocked more shots than Bam.  Was Bam a back up this year?  I don't really keep up with college basketball.  I look over the scouting websites to see who's most "Hawksy". 

The Hawks need a center who is a decent passer, good rebounder, can guard on the perimeter (pink n roll specifically), protect the rim, and has some offensive ability out side of dunks.   To me Justin Patton checks all those boxes.  

If Giles is there at 31, the Hawks should probably take a chance on him too.  His rebounding numbers are still superb on a per 40 basis. 

Collins and Patton are 1a and 1b in my book.  Collins' body is much more NBA ready and he has a great skill set. 

Edited by marco102
Forgot to speak on Collins
  • Like 1

I watched Kentucky play in a few games (not a whole lot but enough to have an opinion) and....

I don't know on Bam. I just don't know. Even the product that I have seen, I'd probably want over Dwight NOW (but that's for another thread and it'd be my second preference to doing something else other than just staying with Dwight), but I'm not really sure who he really is.

He's a rebounding monster and decent shot blocker (not elite), but I just don't know on his offense. I feel like there's more than meets the eye and when I read somewhere (although I don't remember where) about how "Cal said he's going to take Bam to practice 3's sometime" during the tournament, it makes me think that he can probably do more on offense.

Recently, we have seen a lot of Kentucky players show more on offense in the league than at Kentucky, so he might be another case of that.

I would be fine with picking him, but wouldn't be as excited as some of my other choices.

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I watched Kentucky play in a few games (not a whole lot but enough to have an opinion) and....

I don't know on Bam. I just don't know. Even the product that I have seen, I'd probably want over Dwight NOW (but that's for another thread and it'd be my second preference to doing something else other than just staying with Dwight), but I'm not really sure who he really is.

He's a rebounding monster and decent shot blocker (not elite), but I just don't know on his offense. I feel like there's more than meets the eye and when I read somewhere (although I don't remember where) about how "Cal said he's going to take Bam to practice 3's sometime" during the tournament, it makes me think that he can probably do more on offense.

Recently, we have seen a lot of Kentucky players show more on offense in the league than at Kentucky, so he might be another case of that.

I would be fine with picking him, but wouldn't be as excited as some of my other choices.

Who are your other choices? 

Edited by marco102

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Who are your other choices? 

In reality and not the draft, I'm not sure. I have said that I'd like to "Greg Monroe" Dwight Howard, but then...what's the alternative for early on in the season? Muscala? I'm not stupid.

But in the draft, and I may put a longer post in the draft thread on my thoughts, but here's just the start:

Zach Collins but he's going to be a lottery pick.
Justin Patton, who might be LaMarcus Aldridge like with defense. He also might bust.
Isaiah Hartenstein.
John Collins (Myles Turner?)

As for an early comp on Bam, mine would ironically be Tristan Thompson, but possibly better shot blocking and offense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

In reality and not the draft, I'm not sure. I have said that I'd like to "Greg Monroe" Dwight Howard, but then...what's the alternative for early on in the season? Muscala? I'm not stupid.

But in the draft, and I may put a longer post in the draft thread on my thoughts, but here's just the start:

Zach Collins but he's going to be a lottery pick.
Justin Patton, who might be LaMarcus Aldridge like with defense. He also might bust.
Isaiah Hartenstein.
John Collins (Myles Turner?)

As for an early comp on Bam, mine would ironically be Tristan Thompson, but possibly better shot blocking and offense.

Gotcha.  

Justin is more Athletic than LaMarcus. I feel he'll be a better defensive player. Now his offense will probably not be as good as Portland LaMarcus.

I also like Anzejas Pasecniks - with pick number 31. 

• Like 1

His rebounding numbers are relatively mediocre at 10.6 rebounds per 40 minutes.  Comparatively, Caleb Swanigan averaged 15.3 rebounds per 40 and is actually younger than Bam Adebayo.  

Adebayo is a 2nd round pick to me, much like Ike Anigbogu.  

• Like 2

Most of us don't want Swanigan at all, especially early, so it doesn't matter how aggressively you push him, and it's not because he's the safe guy, or because we want Giles (most don't, I'm included).

Edited by Lurker