• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bam Adebayo

26 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Most of us don't want Swanigan at all, especially early, so it doesn't matter how aggressively you push him, and it's not because he's the safe guy, or because we want Giles (most don't, I'm included).

That's your call.  I've done a lot of studying on these players, and I have identified a few that I feel would be great for the Hawks.  Just note that I did identify Draymond Green and Jae Crowder as great fits for the Hawks in 2013, Mason Plumlee in 2013, Kyle Anderson and Jordan Adams in 2014, and Josh Richardson in 2015.  

This year, my guys for the Hawks are Caleb Swanigan, John Collins, Luke Kennard, Josh Hart, and Johnathan Motley.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, Spud2Nique said:

I like this guy a lot. He reminds me of a mix between Ibaka and Biyombo. I really like his intensity as well. Hope he's around at 19th pick. 

At the the same time, lots of other talented positions that we need.

@coachx what are your thoughts on this kid and who else do you like?

I like him. He has great hands and finished a ton of lobs at UK. I love that he came in without an attitude, as a 5 star recruit, and played a role doing all the dirty work while their guards created the offense.

If we cant dump Dwight then we have to keep 4 shooters on the floor with him. I think we have to improve our shooting and scoring. I want a scorer at #19.

Donovan Mitchell is a little stud. He reminds me of Jeff Teague with a high release point on his shot . I'd love for him to fall to 19. We need 3 quality guards who can play 30+ minutes per night. I personal think we missed Teague more than Horford this year. Guard play is so crucial in todays league.

If a guy like Justin Jackson falls we should snag him. We need scorers.

So I guess I'll be crossing my fingers that either Mitchell or Jackson fall to 19. If they don't then I see which bigs are left. I'd take a shot with TJ Leaf.

I think Jonathan Motley is underrated. I see him going in the top 25. If he is there at #31 I'd be thrilled. I wouldn't be mad with him at 19.

Semi Ojeleye intrigues me as a 2nd round option.

Edited by coachx

Thanks @coachx I agree I love the mittens on Bam Bam. Like Justin Jax a lo as well as Mitchell due to perimeter D. I'm recalling loving this draft. 

@kg01 reminded me that I need the opinion on resident UK expert @AHF on the potential of Bam as well. What do you think AHF? Is he a good pick at 19,31 or none of the above?

9 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Thanks @coachx I agree I love the mittens on Bam Bam. Like Justin Jax a lo as well as Mitchell due to perimeter D. I'm recalling loving this draft. 

@kg01 reminded me that I need the opinion on resident UK expert @AHF on the potential of Bam as well. What do you think AHF? Is he a good pick at 19,31 or none of the above?

Is AHF bann't?  I hope so.

Anyways, further on Adebayo, I'm not drafting a big who has no offensive skillset.  I'm not drafting a guy intent on him just being a lob guy.  The dleague is littered with guys that can do that.

If the guy hasn't shown any offensive skillset, don't expect him to develop one in the league.  UPS and Walmart are littered with guys drafted on potential to develop offensively.

24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Is AHF bann't?  I hope so.

Anyways, further on Adebayo, I'm not drafting a big who has no offensive skillset.  I'm not drafting a guy intent on him just being a lob guy.  The dleague is littered with guys that can do that.

If the guy hasn't shown any offensive skillset, don't expect him to develop one in the league.  UPS and Walmart are littered with guys drafted on potential to develop offensively.

I would draft him if I had team littered with shooters but needed an athletic big.............like say.........the Golden State Warriors.

I agree that he doesn't fit what the Hawks need. We already have that in Dwight Howard. We lack shooting and scoring. Hopefully we can find a scorer who is not a black hole on defense.

• Like 1

The guy I'm liking the more I watch him is Baylor's Johnathan Motley.

*Very active and agile around the rim

*Very good rim runner and open floor player

*Consistent jumper out to the top of the key

*Strong rebounder (12.7/40)

*Developing back to the basket game with effect jump hook

*Has the feet to guard on the perimeter and defend P&R. 

*Good free throw shooter and gets to the line at a high rate.

I think he has the potential to expand his range.  He has sound shooting mechanics and is a good free throw shooter.  He can become a three point threat as a stretch big who is also active around the basket.  He has the length to be able to be a 4/5 guy as well.  Starter's potential in the NBA.  I'd take him at 19. 

Players I like at 19:

John Collins, PF/C, Wake Forest

Caleb Swanigan, PF/C, Purdue

Luke Kennard, SG, Duke

Johnathan Motley, PF/C, Baylor

Players I like at 31:

Jordan Bell, PF/C, Oregon

Josh Hart, SG, Villanova

Derrick White, SG, Colorado

I haven't gotten into the international guys yet. 

My guy from last year is and will remain Ivan Rabb. I saw Jaylen Brown and Rabb at Cal a few times and love them both...but screw Jaylen now that damn Celt. He went from a loved Golden Bear to a hated lil leprechaun man.

Draft Rabb!

6 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

My guy from last year is and will remain Ivan Rabb. I saw Jaylen Brown and Rabb at Cal a few times and love them both...but screw Jaylen now that damn Celt. He went from a loved Golden Bear to a hated lil leprechaun man.

Draft Rabb!

I'd give him a look at around 31.  He's got a lot of work to do to be an offensive threat.  He really needed another year in college.

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He really needed another year in college

Exact opposite...he shoulda bounced last year and he woulda been a higher pick. He cost himself in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The guy I'm liking the more I watch him is Baylor's Johnathan Motley.

*Very active and agile around the rim

*Very good rim runner and open floor player

*Consistent jumper out to the top of the key

*Strong rebounder (12.7/40)

*Developing back to the basket game with effect jump hook

*Has the feet to guard on the perimeter and defend P&R. 

*Good free throw shooter and gets to the line at a high rate.

I think he has the potential to expand his range.  He has sound shooting mechanics and is a good free throw shooter.  He can become a three point threat as a stretch big who is also active around the basket.  He has the length to be able to be a 4/5 guy as well.  Starter's potential in the NBA.  I'd take him at 19. 

There is a lot to like about Motley. He is a physical specimen. If he can develop a 3 point shot he will be a legit starting PF. We are a fewer years from knowing if that will happen.  He is an energizer bunny for sure and will have a long career and energizer off the bench at the very least. Scouts will love his motor and willingness to compete.

TJ Leaf is the opposite end of the spectrum but intrigues me just as much. He is 3 years younger than Motley with a more polished offensive game. He is natural shooter, with a natural ability to see the floor and pass. He is also has several offensive post moves at only 19 years of age. Unlike  Motley, all of Leaf's question marks center around his defense. At just 19 years of age I'd roll the dice on him getting stronger and better at defending the pick and roll. He will never be an elite defender but his offensive game fits the current style of the NBA perfectly.

I'd be fine with either guys at #19.

So I guess my top 4 are: Donovan Mitchell, Justin Jackson, TJ Leaf, and Johnathan Motley.

I like Fred Jackson too but #19 may be a little early for him as a project. I also like Dwayne Bacon as someone who is ready to play right away.

• Like 1

Just say 'no' on Leaf.  I don't want no more 6'10" 2guards masquerading as "bigs".  I really like D. Mitchell.  JR Smith with his head on straight?

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Just say 'no' on Leaf.  I don't want no more 6'10" 2guards masquerading as "bigs".  I really like D. Mitchell.  JR Smith with his head on straight?

No Leaf(Ryan) and yes Mitchell!

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

Most of us don't want Swanigan at all, especially early, so it doesn't matter how aggressively you push him, and it's not because he's the safe guy, or because we want Giles (most don't, I'm included).

And that's why the bench will stay weak.   Reaching for potential in the middle of the 1st round will have you disappointed.  Best to get someone who can contribute right away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And that's why the bench will stay weak.   Reaching for potential in the middle of the 1st round will have you disappointed.  Best to get someone who can contribute right away.

We have no idea if Swanigan can contribute 'right away'.  What evidence do we have of that?  Him pushing around college kids?

We can't afford to miss (again) on low-ceiling/so-called 'instant-contributors anyway', if we're being honest.

And, no, that doesn't mean I want us to draft Giles.

For me, the best combination of contribute-early, yet still have potential for greatness is probably Mitchell.  Excellent shooter, excellent athlete, good defender, was *gag* well-coached by Pitino ... need I go on?

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We have no idea if Swanigan can contribute 'right away'.  What evidence do we have of that?  Him pushing around college kids?

Add in we probably don't have to use our 19 to get him. Maybe would need to move up some from 31. We have options for doing that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, h4wkfan said:

I'm on the motley, d Mitchell, or bust train for pick 19. I'd prefer motley due to need.

I like Motley too.  If the Hawks can somehow get a combination of Motley and Justin Patton, I'd be ecstatic!

I don't think we should address the 2 guard position in this draft.  If we are going guard, I'd want Frank Mason.  I think he'd make an excellent back up to Dennis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Exact opposite...he shoulda bounced last year and he woulda been a higher pick. He cost himself in my opinion.

He would have been no more ready to play if he had left a year early than he is now.  If anything, this year is showing that he shouldn't have been a lottery pick in 2016.  This is another case of scouts focusing too much on youth and perceived potential rather than production and readiness. 

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yep.  One of the big reasons bad teams stay bad is that they reach for potential rather than take someone that can actually play.

One thing that we are not factoring in with Ivan Rabb is Cuonzo Martin's offense/system is honestly bland and boring (it's slow paced and doesn't have that much PNR). We've seen before how a different system can help freshen up a whole team on offense, what's to say that taking Rabb out of that stupid offense won't help? (Martin did leave Cal though)

He should've left not because of his readiness, but because Martin's system has a reputation of being total garbage. The highlights of what you see with Ivan Rabb...is what you get in a Martin system. It's not good. Not at all.

What's missing is how he could develop into a good all around offensive player in the PNR, and it's missing by design...because Martin has an old and slow offensive system (like I've whined about with Mark Fox, but that's not for this forum).