• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kenny Smith for GM

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

If we're going that route, then I'm voting for this guy, and not just because of his Hawks career, but most prominently because his demeanor, temperament and personality seem to me to be a really good fit with Bud.

http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/nba-steve-smith-career-bigten-network-all-star/

...“The great thing about Smitty is he’s a nose-to-the-grindstone-type of guy,” says Scooter Vertino, Turner Sports VP of Content, NBA Digital. “He comes in, he’s prepared and ready to work, but at the same time knows how to roll with the punches and have some fun. When viewers tune in to watch you talking about the NBA, they want to see someone who is having a good time. That’s what Steve is all about.”

Vertino says Smith has the perfect demeanor for TV. Translation: He doesn’t take himself too seriously.

“He’s been in the spotlight for a long time but he doesn’t act like because you didn’t play the game that you don’t have an opinion that matters,” Vertino says. “He wants to make sure that a debate about something basketball related a fair one. He’s been in a lot of locker rooms, seen all the games, and he still takes his craft seriously and is a true student of the game.”

The competitor in Smith says that he could see himself one day making a “pretty good” NBA coach or general manager...

• Like 4

I personally do not want a former player as GM. Only in the NBA do former stars like Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, etc get jobs as executives. That generally does not happen in other sports. In the NFL John Elway is the only former star that is an executive. The New York Yankees would never make Derek Jeter GM. The NBA is just laughable sometimes.

Edited by bleachkit

After watching him, Barkley and Shaq talk all over each other for way to long I'm sure he would have the loudest voice in the FO by far. Would be an underwhelming choice.

• Like 1

• Moderators

No thanks.   Whether he can evaluate talent or put a team together i have no idea, but maybe.   But can't imagine the dude has any negotiating skills at all.  Don't know why i feel that way but he doesn't strike me as someone who would be a good gm.

Now if we want him as a backup 2 I'll take it.   He knows how to put the ball in the post and then get open for a 3.  Something most of our guys can't seem to do.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

To my mind, you consider every person on his own merits, and certainly having played the game isn't a minus... it's just not that big of a plus that it's even one of the boxes on the checklist.

In this same vein, don't know if I'm missing some other obvious choice, but to my mind the greatest GM ever in NBA history also happens to be the guy whose silhouette appears on the NBA logo.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

To my mind, you consider every person on his own merits, and certainly having played the game isn't a minus... it's just not that big of a plus that it's even one of the boxes on the checklist.

In this same vein, don't know if I'm missing some other obvious choice, but to my mind the greatest GM ever in NBA history also happens to be the guy whose silhouette appears on the NBA logo.

Ya but I'm upset he went to the Warriors...I know I know...it's business but I don't believe in building 2 franchises in the same division...even if it's in the same lifetime lol.

I'm just old school...like Riley should never coach the Celtics...Jack Nicholson should never sit on the sidelines of a Celtics game..I dunno just my thinking.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ya but I'm upset he went to the Warriors...I know I know...it's business but I don't believe in building 2 franchises in the same division...even if it's in the same lifetime lol.

As far as I'm aware anyways... correct me if I'm wrong... he's only been serving in advisory positions since he departed LAL land. I've always thought that that was probably to his own preference... as you get older, why bother with the stress of the day-to-day, and instead, just be paid to be on-call. He's long-since made his legacy after all.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I'm just old school...like Riley should never coach the Celtics...Jack Nicholson should never sit on the sidelines of a Celtics game..I dunno just my thinking.

Jackson should never lead the Knicks?

I think you might have something there. ;)

Just now, sturt said:

As far s I'm aware anyways... correct me if I'm wrong... he's only been serving in advisory positions since he departed LAL land. I've always thought that that was probably to his own preference... as you get older, why bother with the stress of the day-to-day, and instead, just be paid to be on-call. He's long-since made his legacy after all.

Ya ur right he's just in as an advisory role but he was behind the Klay Thompson pick as well as the Draymond pick. That's some awesome advice. :-)

But your right, the guy more than paid his dues and he should have any role that is available to him. I guess I'm personally pissed that it was with the Scrubs.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, sturt said:

I had no idea the logo was Billy Knight.  

• Like 2