Hawks Interview 12 Players

GrimeyKidd

I don't think Frank Jackson is going to be a PG in the NBA. I think he could develop enough to where he could run it, but it'd be purely as a combo.

I do think he could be a very good two way player as a small SG, but just like a guy I've quoted in Gary Harris in comparison with him, the odds of him actually being ready for his first NBA season are not very good.

Actually if he could develop his PG skills, he could be quite close to the type of PG that Bud likes, even closer than Dennis is. He's a very explosive athlete and his form on his jumper is very good.

Edited by Lurker

We also met with Jordan Bell who isnt on that list for whatever reason

http://www.csnnw.com/oregon-ducks/oregons-jordan-bell-looking-right-fit-much-high-pick-nba-draft

Jordan Bell is gonna be a fan favorite wherever he goes. I'd love for it to be here.

* Jarrett Allen, Texas, Center

* Jawun Evans, Oklahoma State, Point Guard

* Frank Jackson, Duke, Point Guard

* Harry Giles, Duke, Center

* Donovan Mitchell, Louisville, Shooting Guard

* Caleb Swanigan, Purdue, Power Forward

* Justin Patton, Creighton, Center

I like these

Edited by DBac

If Tony Bradley is staying there is a reason and that reason is he's been given a first round guarantee (I think he has, as while it hasn't been confirmed with the agent word around the block is unless he has a change of heart he's staying in the draft).

And I have exceptions to the rule sometimes on short SGs, and BOTH Mitchell/Jackson fit that rule. They're athletically gifted which could cover some of it up.

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

Frank Johnson isn't really a point guard and he is too small to be a shooting guard ... no thanks

If Giles is healthy he could be special.

This opinion is based upon what exactly?  His 3.4 PPG as a freshman at Duke?

• Admin
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

This opinion is based upon what exactly?  His 3.4 PPG as a freshman at Duke?

He was number one player coming into college ... he was injured and when he came back to school it was hard for him to find a role.   I think it was a mistake for him to come out and he should've went back to college to show what he can do ... He has measured off the charts at the combine and his skill set is supposed to be comparable to Webber.  For me the injury part is what scares me about him.

There's a point in time in which risks may need to be taken and the Hawks are at that time.

That should not include taking guys that have foot/knee issues as a teenager. Duke has problems developing big men, but Giles tested badly at the combine, which tells me his confidence is totally shot.

I don't think he's going to be back to what he was. If he even does get back to it, he'll probably go "Greg Oden" on some team.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

There's a point in time in which risks may need to be taken and the Hawks are at that time.

That should not include taking guys that have foot/knee issues as a teenager. Duke has problems developing big men, but Giles tested badly at the combine, which tells me his confidence is totally shot.

I don't think he's going to be back to what he was. If he even does get back to it, he'll probably go "Greg Oden" on some team.

Ill take him at 31

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I envy folks who can closely follow the league and college.  I cannot.  I'll take yalls word if you think your guy is the right selection if taken then throw this thread up in your face when he turns out to be a bum.

@benhillboy  I agree, I used to follow both but between a husband,  child and my Squawk time - I had to give up something.

I know what the Hawks need but who I  have no clue.

I wait 'til Summer League for my first glimpse at our picks.

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@benhillboy  I agree, I used to follow both but between a husband,  child and my Squawk time - I had to give up something.

I know what the Hawks need but who I  have no clue.

I wait 'til Summer League for my first glimpse at our picks.

True.  I watch way more Summer League than a normal person should.  Maybe because their commentary is better than the real NBA and I'm not an 87 year old white man so I can't do baseball.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, capstone21 said:

He was number one player coming into college ... he was injured and when he came back to school it was hard for him to find a role.   I think it was a mistake for him to come out and he should've went back to college to show what he can do ... He has measured off the charts at the combine and his skill set is supposed to be comparable to Webber.  For me the injury part is what scares me about him.

I don't put much stock into high school rankings that are largely effected by how much your AAU team pushes you onto the services.  I put more stock into actual play, and Giles was an abject disaster as a freshman at Duke.  At best, you may have a rotational player by year 4 of his career.  

I am not high on this freshman class at all.  I think Fultz, Zach Collins, and Lauri Markkanen are the best of this freshman group, and the fact that Fultz couldn't lead his team to the NCAA tournament is a red flag on him.